Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Thwack

Familiar Face
I got my first panama hat courtesy of Panama Bob this past monday. It arrived a little... well... stepped on. After some coaching from Robert I managed to smooth it all out and I couldn't be happier! Thanks again Robert! Anyway, here are some pictures of the whole affair.
DSC00055.jpg

DSC00056.jpg

DSC00067.jpg

DSC00063.jpg

And just in time as the temps are climbing up into the 90's for the rest of the week.

Reactions: DRB

Neil

A-List Customer
I have one, too. It's a pretty nice hat for the cost, isn't it? The blast of the camera flash shows up the relatively coarse weave, but in daylight, from five feet away, it doesn't look much different from a fino.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Call me crazy but I like the coarse weave. I guess if I were going to wear this with a suit or a very dressy (is there such a word ?) occasion I would like a nice linen like look to my Panama. Just my two cents....[huh]

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
New Brown Panama

Brown_Panama_front.jpg

Brown_Panama_rear.jpg

Brown_Panama_R.jpg

Brown_Panama_L.jpg

Brown_Panama_Indide.jpg

Butt ugly pug, but I'll switch that out. Nice high crown with a loose weave that will hopefully vent well, a lovely color & a perfect fit for only forty clams + shipping. It has a bit of a brim issue (lack of "swoop") but I'll soon straighten (warp?) that out & post a photo w/ it on my bean. Just in time for the sweltering southern summer.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Panamabob said:
lol I like the pug! Two thumbs up!

Thanks PB, although as I shamelessly cross-posted this in the "new hats" sticky :eek: I should also say here that

"PBs' Indy, though, has a certain something. When you put it on you head the brim bends just so and it simply feels (and looks) right."
Panama_BobstrawIndy-1.jpg

Not idle praise, it fits & looks better than both my contemporary Christys' & Borsalino straws. I have three examples of what are certainly your most plebeian or entry level straws & they beat the tar out of the aforementioned. AND the brown dyed straws are not without historical precedent.
LeeGenuinePanamaBluebandfull.jpg

This 50+ yr. old "LEE" was bound for sale right here in Knoxville but was purchased NOS out of CT. in a lot last year.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I've had several customers ask me to compare to Christy's. I had no idea what to say, but just this week two different people have told me that their grade 2 is like our grade 0, twice as nice in price only, and that their grade 20 is like our low dollar Montecristis, twice as nice in price only, too.

Just to be clear, that brown hat with the pug wasn't my sell. Great find.

And that Lee is smooth for being that old. They had much bette dye back then, too.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Oh, there are, but I'm just a chicken or ordering up. Maybe I'll see if I can get a test dozen, since most companies want one to buy a gross at a time per size/shape/color.

jpbales

Practically Family
i've had the same brim issues with my panamas...

my long oval head always makes the brim get all wavy. What I just recently figured out to do is this:
1. Wet the brim of the panama (around the front and sides- usually I leave the back alone)
2. Place the hat brim-down flat on a table, with the entire brim on the flat surface of the table.
3. Take 3 DVD movie boxes (or game boxes, whatever) and put one on each side and one on the front and add weight to each one.
4. eave it sitting for a little while until the brim dries at least.
You would think that it would make the brim too flat, but it actually makes it about right- and you can always steam or a bit of water to make it a little swoopy/curlier if you want.

One slight alteration to this method that I use is this. Place your hat jack (or in my case, my hat-sizing block which is only about 1.5" tall) into the hat, then apply the methods above. If you have a long oval head and it's a standard-oval hat, then this will straighten/flatten the brim even with the long oval stretch.

So far, this technique has worked pretty well for me. The first thing I've noticed about each of my panamas (both e-bay buys from Bob) is the brim waviness, and so far this has been the cure for it. If I ever do it again, which I may, then I'll be sure to post pics.

edit: one last thing- if the back of the brim is too flat as well, just spray it with water and curl it up a little (while having it on a flat surface, like a table). Whenever I do this, it seems to make the straw contract a little and therefore increase the curl of the back of the brim.

Razzman said:
Here is a PB Indy that I changed out the ribbon for a pug. A nice hat.
Is there any way I can manipulate the brim and get more of a snap brim look?

http://

http://

jpbales

Practically Family
here's some shots

before and after the previously mentioned process:

my recently re-blocked Panama Bob Montecristi, which had very little brim shape to speak of after the re-block operation.
Before:
37PanamaSurvivedtheElements.jpg

DSC02133.jpg

After:
Side-2.jpg

SideAngle-2.jpg

my brand-spanking-new Panama Bob before using the process above:
Side-2.jpg

SideAngle-2.jpg

you can see the front curl down unevenly and the sides catch the wave like it's California or something.

afterwards:
TopSideAngle-1.jpg

SideAngle-4.jpg

Side-4.jpg

Beautiful perfection that I didn't know was possible in a panama's brim :D

Goose.

Practically Family
Maybe I'll tidy up my other Panamas for summer. But, I'm lazy, lack ambition, and really don't know what the hell I'd be doing (It's really the latter as I enjoy goofing off with my felts). This straw gig is whole other world (at least to me).

But, I figured this one was oakie doke to wear. Stetson Center Dent...

544866683_boYq2-M.jpg

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Nice hat......

Goose. said:
Maybe I'll tidy up my other Panamas for summer. But, I'm lazy, lack ambition, and really don't know what the hell I'd be doing (It's really the latter as I enjoy goofing off with my felts). This straw gig is whole other world (at least to me).

But, I figured this one was oakie doke to wear. Stetson Center Dent...

544866683_boYq2-M.jpg

Looks good on you..:)

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
True: Genuine Panama Hat. Cuenca Brisa Grade 2/3 somewhere along there.

ultrafino2.jpg

False: Ultrafino Montecristi Panama Hat. Actually Cuenca Brisa Grade 2/3.

ultrafino1.jpg

False: Ultrafino Montecristi Panama Hat. Actually Cuenca Brisa Grade 2/3.

ultrafino3.jpg

False: Hand Woven in Montecristi. No, hand woven in Azogues or Canar Province.

ultrafino4.jpg

False: Blocked in USA. No, pressed in Cuenca on a very nice hat press.

ultrafino4.jpg

I've been waiting for proof, since every time I win one on auction they don't send it to me. Now I have proof.

Shame on you Yuri and Ivonne, Tomatesa, Ultrafino.

jpbales

Practically Family
Consumer's Beware!

At first I thought Panama Bob's comments about other dealers were out of place, but I'm actually really glad you post in here, Bob. I can't think of any better place to do so other than right here where the serious hat wearers go. If it wasn't for competition, freedom to post your mind, and whistle-blowers, there would be nothing to keep dishonest business dealers in check. Thanks Bob.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner