Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
feltfan said:
3564324969_60ce152660_b.jpg

What a beauty. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

feltfan -- you are blowing me away today. I'm with Lefty -- let's keep 'em coming! :D

Cheers,
JtL

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mario said:
Dang! That crown sure looks huge! How high is it? And just where do you get stuff like this?
I shot the picture to emphasize the weave, not
to give a good sense of proportion. That's about a 5 1/2 inch
crown and a 2 1/4 inch brim. It looks very old fashioned and
straight up and down on the head. That might be because it
is old...

This was another classic case of a poorly listed ebay hat.
One of my less expensive ones. I think Panamabob is wrong
about saving money by going down to El Ecuador- I probably
spent about $30 on that hat. But I'd still LOVE to go.

Actually, all the hats I posted today came from eBay
(although one had to go to Art before it was done).

feltfan

Lefty said:
If you think four or your countless unseen treasures are going to shut me up, then you sir, are sorely mistaken. :p
Man, what a whiner. I'll see what I can do.

But I don't have an infinite supply of treasures to show.
There are people here who have troves of incredible hats
we've never seen.

Andykev?

Analogist?

Garrett?

Did I say Analogist?

I have the impression the back rooms of Bencraft Hats hold many treasures, too.

Let's see some of those forbidden felts. Hidden hats.
Secret straws.

You know who you are.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
One other note: I may have confused matters with regard to my vintage Arcentales Panama hat. It was not FDR's hat. Mine is actually in better condition than the state of FDR's hat when displayed for sale not long ago. My raw hat body is by the same weaver, "C. A. Arcentales" but is a different piece than the president's Panama.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
feltfan said:
I shot the picture to emphasize the weave, not
to give a good sense of proportion. That's about a 5 1/2 inch
crown and a 2 1/4 inch brim. It looks very old fashioned and
straight up and down on the head. That might be because it
is old...

Still, the first impression I had was that of a huge crown - and from that angle, it looked even taller than it actually is.

TES

New in Town
Bob, seriously, why do you want to send out the constabulary on my hat ? Just a hat. Now you want to see how the sweat is sewn on it. Really? Why? Are you the freaking Panama police? You don't have to read too much between the lines to see you have some sort of issue with someone other than me. And why in the world would anyone ever have to travel to Ecuador just to get a good hat?

Could you sell me the same hat for a lot less, is that it? Can you get a hat like that? When? What size? Do I get to see it before I commit to buying it ? Can I actually look at it and compare it with others from reputable sellers in my own hands before I make up my mind and decide for myself what I think it might be worth? I did that before I bought the one you see and also before I bought the other Espinal. I'm happy with what I paid, the hats are unparalleled and I am deeply satisfied that that arrangement doesn't thwart justice but advances the cause, of which you take part.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Nope, simply want to see it. I've heard way too many stories and just wanted to check them out. The more hatters I get to know, the more stories I hear.

I've been in Simon's house and have had deep conversations with him. I truly do hope the situation has changed and that he is getting a large piece of the pie, as you've been told. I truly do.

TES

New in Town
Come on down to Texas and I'd be happy to show you both sombreros de espinal, if you'd like that, and you can help me understand how you advance the cause of the people better than...well...let's just say it, Brent Black. You can have all your people investigate and inquire and let's all consider who might be making things better for anyone other than, pardon me, the white guys buying the things.

But you know, for my part, politics and allegations of hypocrisy aside...just for a moment... is there any way we could all just talk about the hats, instead of accusing everyone of some sort of treachery about how something got blocked or who sewed on the freaking ribbon, or calling someone a subhuman cretin. Gee whiz. This seemed to be a perfectly civil place to go to for discussing the art and I get hijacked by a vendor. Wow.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
TES said:
But you know, for my part, politics and allegations of hypocrisy aside...just for a moment... is there any way we could all just talk about the hats, instead of accusing everyone of some sort of treachery about how something got blocked or who sewed on the freaking ribbon, or calling someone a subhuman cretin. Gee whiz. This seemed to be a perfectly civil place to go to for discussing the art and I get hijacked by a vendor. Wow.

:arated:

That's it in a nutshell. Well, said, TES.

Cheers,
JtL

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
TES said:
Come on down to Texas and I'd be happy to show you both sombreros de espinal, if you'd like that, and you can help me understand how you advance the cause of the people better than...well...let's just say it, Brent Black. You can have all your people investigate and inquire and let's all consider who might be making things better for anyone other than, pardon me, the white guys buying the things.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

TES

New in Town
Bob, you seem to be compelled by the "deep conversations" you have had with Simon Espinal at his home, of which you like to show us all many pictures, all the same, showing what exactly, penury? Compared to what ? What do you want him to do, other than to sell you his masterpieces at a discount? To whose benefit ? For us?

feltfan

I don't think Panama Bob's genuine concern for the weavers
and the future of hat weaving is best served by Panama Bob's
vitriolic posts. I don't have a hard time believing that many of
the weavers are not paid well. I don't doubt that shady deals
are made that take advantage of the Ecuadorans. I appreciate Bob's
efforts to post pictures of how they actually live. I appreciate his
efforts to build schools and community. I recognize that he has
personal (marital) ties to the region.

Personally, I try to learn what I can from Bob's posts and take
his strong words and phrasing as an expression of real caring from
someone who has seen some injustices first hand. I know that I
have shot myself in the foot with the style of my posts here and
elsewhere, and give Bob some leeway to make a few of his own
well-meant mistakes. Let's keep in mind all that he contributes
here, too. If other panama hat makers want to contribute, they
can do so. As it is, he's the only one who makes the effort.

To date I have never purchased a new panama hat, so I don't
have a horse in this race.

AlanC

Let's all keep things on an even keel. TES has a beautiful hat for which he has no reason to apologize or justify. We are blessed with a number of sources for hats of all kinds, including Panamas.

I, too, appreciate Bob's obvious concern for the weavers, his critical eye and his well priced hats (which I myself have purchased). However, we don't want to create an environment where anyone feels like he can't post a hat in collegial atmosphere.

First and foremost, this is a place for us all to pursue a hobby we enjoy.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
AlanC said:
I, too, appreciate Bob's obvious concern for the weavers, his critical eye and his well priced hats (which I myself have purchased). However, we don't want to create an environment where anyone feels like he can't post a hat in collegial atmosphere.

First and foremost, this is a place for us all to pursue a hobby we enjoy.

:cheers1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner