Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

TES

New in Town
You're right, AlanC, I have no reason whatever to apologize because I'm actually doing my level best to endorse the art. And I'm putting my money where my mouth is. I collect the hats. I'd be happy to provide Bob with canceled checks if that's what it means to ensure to his adjutants that somebody in Ecuador ( Sr. Espinal ) made a whole lot more money in the month of february than Bob did . He makes incomparable works of art and he is, finally, well compensated for them. I'm not the only person who has purchased his hats...none of us have bought one from Bob. Why do the vendors get to chime in here?

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Some nice hats that Gus Miller, Batsakes Bros., just sent to us. He's blocking some semicalados now.
gusmillermay2009.jpg

gusmillermay200902.jpg

Also, just got a lot of comments from some people that had VS Custom Hats block hats for them. Kudos to Art. If they send photos, I'll post them, too.

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
I got my first panama hat today and was wondering about the band. Is there a rule for what side the bow or fold should be on? All my other hats have the bow on the left side, but this one is on the right. I'm thinking of changing it over but I wondered if there's a reason not to.

Thanks in advance.

univibe88

One Too Many
FurFeltFedora said:
Totally different question here - this one's about hats...

I got my first panama hat today and was wondering about the band. Is there a rule for what side the bow or fold should be on? All my other hats have the bow on the left side, but this one is on the right. I'm thinking of changing it over but I wondered if there's a reason not to.

Thanks in advance.

It sounds like you have it on backwards.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
WARNING WARNING DANGER WILL ROBINSON

Gentlemen:

Every now and then, some "opinions" surface about who's hat is the best, or who's screwing who in the business.

Take that (insert expletive here) elsewhere. Use the PM. None of us want to see that.

I suggest reading someone's many, many posts to hopefully glean some insight into why or how they may see the world, or what their core values are.

This is a hobby, a passion, a gentleman's club for discussion. Not for sparring.

Reactions: DRB

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Actually it's a silk band and the join is on the right. Is there a different rule for silk bands over bows? The more I look at it the less sure I am I can change it because it's not symmetrical.

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Pictures ?????

FurFeltFedora said:

Thanks in advance.

How aboui some pic's

worthlesswithoutpics

HungaryTom

One Too Many
TES,

I am definitely engrossed about Montecristi fino… it is not that hard.
This art form seems to be in decline like artisanship worldwide.
All over the internet you get the same info about the decline in the art of Montecristi…telling that there were 10 times more weavers some 2 generations ago at the late 1940s. There is no reason why this should not be true. There were many taylors, shoemakers around in Budapest in the 1940s, too - shopping at malls was the exception and people used artisans. Now there are hardly any left.

I think what you have at hands is surely the peak of Montecristi fino art. The President of the USA was surely getting the best. Doing otherwise in state protocol would have been a diplomatic salto mortale.
To weave a hat of strands being less than half a millimeter is quite a nerve wracking job and it takes years of learning it and a whole life to do it to be really grand. Simon Espinal has done this, he is a master of this rare field of competence. He is on par with the old masters.

The best way to find out how rare your hat is to ask Mr. Black how many months Simon worked on this hat? 3-4-5? Was it maybe ‘the greatest’ where Simon consecrated 5 months of his time effort and genius? It looks pretty much like that.

I don’t know whether any panama has been be woven for nine months or one year -this where the realm of the myth begins; there are certain things which the artist can make but it is not worth doing it commercially since nobody would understand and pay it.

TES one question: could you please make a photo of your panamas put against the light -coming from behind the crown) so we can see the vueltas on them?

Regards:

Tom

TES

New in Town
Thanks for the note, HT. I don't have the obligatory vuelta shots of either hat. I'll try to do that when I can. I count 28 on the Fedora pictured and 26 on the other, not counting that thing in the middle. Hard to understand why Gene's counts 11 when it's so obviously exquisitely woven. What I've heard is true, that there really may be no direct correlation.

TES

New in Town
Oh, and HT, thanks for helping us focus on the hats. I didn't answer all your questions. No, the fedora pictured is not the one advertised by Brent as the 5 month hat. Mine is reported to have been a 3-4 month hat. I think the 5 month hat is actually quite a bit more finely woven. Good question, though, whether something like that would ever have been a commercially viable undertaking. I don't think that one is for sale, but I'm not entirely sure.

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Tes Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks for this picture. It is what all Panama hats want to be When they grow up

b929lk2cr_IMG_0854_1.jpg

She Walks in Beauty Like the Night
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Reactions: DRB

jpbales

Practically Family
perfection

:eusa_clap
HarpPlayerGene said:
A new member, TES, offered to share with us images of what is probably the highest possible quality of Panama hat. TES purchased this item at great expense from Brent Black. It was woven by Simon Espinal.

TES emailed the photos to me and I offered to put them in this section of TFL for him, and for all to enjoy. A marvelous masterpiece of modern weaving.

The link below is to the Photobucket page where these images reside:
http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/harpplayergene/TESs Brent Black Panama/

IMG_5730_B929Cr1s_50x5375_1.jpg

b929f1cr_IMG_0850_1.jpg

b929lk1cr_IMG_0836_1.jpg

b929lk2cr_IMG_0854_1.jpg

b929p1cr_IMG_0843_1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner