Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peaky Blinders -- The Clothes

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It's a British drama, set in immediate post-WWI, about a gang of criminals (the Peaky Blinders, so-called because they had razor blades set into the fronts of their flat caps), though there was a real-life gang of the same name. It's actually very good, though very violent, and there's something quite refreshing about hearing the Brummy accent not being used as a comic foil. Sam Neil and Tom Hardy are very good too.

[video=youtube;v4odL3rZkZc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4odL3rZkZc[/video]

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
Thanks for the clip and history lesson there, Sloan! Interesting. Looks well made and rather good.
Mind you, I'd have to get it on DVD so my girlfriend can watch it with subtitles. No way she'll crack those accents! (I was the same with The Wire though! Best TV cop series ever).

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
There are two seasons to catch-up with too, you lucky people, and they all seem to be on Youtube in HD.
Here's season one, episode one:
[video=youtube;i3OuhqGObXg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3OuhqGObXg[/video]

CBI

One Too Many
Yes, an excellent series. I have only seen the first season. Sam Neal (sp??) is super in it. The say he had the accent down could but had to tone it down so American audiences could understand him. That said, its the first series in quite some time where I noticed how awful the music was, hard almost punk-ish rock ..................... for a period piece. WTF?

Worth checking out. I guess I need to catch up with/on season two!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I really liked the music. It reflected the tone of the action, these guys are tough as nails, rather trying to ape the music of the time. Doesn't work for everyone, but I think helps give the show an edge. Also, I'm a big Nick Cave fan.:D

Edward

Bartender
His accent isn't toned down, it's pure middle-class, suburban Belfast. Quite probably the best perfornance of the accent and dialogue I've ever seen by an outsider.

Edward

Bartender
Geat show on many levels. I especirlly like how it captures the men's post-trenches PTSD without any anachronism in its portrayal (especially the lack of understanding at that time).

Aether

One of the Regulars
His accent isn't toned down, it's pure middle-class, suburban Belfast. Quite probably the best perfornance of the accent and dialogue I've ever seen by an outsider.

I recall reading somewhere that he had links to NI - he either lived there or had family from there. I can't recall which.

I agree on the music though, I thought it suited the feel of the show really well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24