Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peg Pants?

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
My grandmother was mentioning to me a few weeks back how my grandpa (who was born in 1929) wore in the '50s "peg pants". What are those exactly? Were they a fashion trend?
She also said he wore plain white t-shirts with the sleeves rolled up--was that a trend as well? My grandma said his mother used to admonish him for wearing t-shirts, saying what kind of man wears his underwear outside?!

On the other side of the family, I was looking at a home movie of ours from '62. My grandpa ('20-'75) is wearing a dress shirt, t-shirt under it, slacks and polished shoes. However, he has the bottoms of his slacks rolled up, above his shoes. Sort of the way Brando rolled up his jeans in The Wild One. Was that a trend as well in the late 50s-early 60s era, rolling up the bottoms of one's pants? Or simply done for convenience?

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
Peg pants for men first came into fashion around 1905. They were associated with eccentrically-cut, long-jacketed suits (the precursors to zoot suits) which were marketed to young, fashion-forward men. Originally called 'Broadway suits', they became so popular with college boys that they became known as 'rah rah suits'.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Depending on the era, pegged pants will mean different things. In the forties, pegged slacks were zoot suit pants with a rounded taper from the knee to the cuff. In the fifties, peg pants ( as in the Eddie Cochran tune, "Pink Peg Pants") featured a sharp linear taper from knee down. There is a vendor on ebay UK that makes this style, as well as the Japanese clothier The King.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24