Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Perm rods?

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I've heard wonderful things about perm rods and I've seen pictures of great results as well. I am currently using sponge rollers (not the long bendy foam type) and I am pretty satisfied. I am thinking of trying perm rods and I was wondering how they differed from sponge rollers? dry time, comfort, ease of use, end result?

~*Red*~

Practically Family
MarieAnne said:
I've heard wonderful things about perm rods and I've seen pictures of great results as well. I am currently using sponge rollers (not the long bendy foam type) and I am pretty satisfied. I am thinking of trying perm rods and I was wondering how they differed from sponge rollers? dry time, comfort, ease of use, end result?

one thing I know for sure, with perm rods because they are hard, you will get a more uniform curl especially through the tips. Sponge rollers, or any soft roller has the tendency to have tighter ends than the rest of the strand.

The rest, someone who uses them will have to answer. If I used them on myself, I would probably only use them under a dryer. That's just me.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Perm rods are the only way to go to get a beautiful long lasting curl.

They aren't THAT comfortable to sleep on, but make yourself a padded cap and sleep on a mushy pillow, and you wont notice.

The results are worth it.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
MarieAnne said:

I find that with sponge rollers I get softer wavier curls. With the perm rods I get stronger more unified curls. My curls last longer with the plastic rods than with the sponge rollers. For me, I don't set anything with wet hair. I do it slightly damp and then I set them overnight to 2 days. As for comfort, I have a thick head of hair and a tough one at that, so I feel no difference between the two. With that said, I would imagine that if I could feel a difference the rods would be more uncomfortable, but I don't find them to be in the least. I sleep right on them. I use the perm rods to achieve a line of curls just at the botton and the sides (Ginger-esque) and I use the sponge rollers to give an overall curl (More Marilyn-ish). Hope this helps.

Sponge Rollers:
me005b.jpg

Perm Rods:
IMG_1662b.jpg

jayem

A-List Customer
I actually hate sponge rollers. For me, they never dry thoroughly so when I wake up and take them out, my hair is still wet in some places. I've tried everything to prevent this, but it doesn't work. I love perm rollers. Just buy a satin cap to sleep in and you can hardly feel them.

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
With what I have done Magentic Rollers get a result slightly inbetween sponge rollers and perming rods. They are horrid to sleep on though because of their size and recommend hood drying with those on. Perm rods I have found to be the best considering you do not have to some fancy finger work trying to get them to stay on your head just roll up the hair, pull the plastic attachment over and you are good.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I bought a few perm rods last night. I couldn't find peach colored rods but they had orange ones which looked close enough in size. I used 4 foam rollers for the hair around my face and the 12 perm rods I got in one ($2.29CAD) pack were enough for the back. I haven't taken them out yet but I can't wait! I was worried they would be uncomfortable. Since they aren't rolled to the scalp and are free to flop around, I managed to wiggle my head into a comfy spot. I had a two day old foam roller set that was fading quickly so I spritzed my hair with a bit of water and re-rolled with the perm rods to try to revive it. I also found that because of the way foam rollers are designed, if you pull on them enough they will unravel. Perm rods don't to this. I'm so excited!

epr25

Practically Family
Ok I'm game. I usually set with the teal colored sponge rollers. What color perm roads do you guys recommend. Since they curl better so you want to choose a larger rod then the corresponding size of sponge roller?

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I decided to buy some perm rods the other day and used them last night. Much to my surprise I found them far more comfortable then sponge and pillow rollers but I guess this is because I only did one row (with 2 each at the front). I am very pleased with the results! I had a cute Ginger Rogers style tight curl style in the morning which sadly has dropped as usual but it's still nice. I'm definitely going to use these more often and do more rows.

epr25

Practically Family
I tried these last night. My hair did dry allot better then with the sponge rollers. I think I bought a size to large. The curl isn't quite as tight as I would like i t to be. I found these really hard to put in place and stay that is. I am not sure if I was taking to large of sections or what. They just would not stay put? Any suggestions?

By the way. The perm rods are on sale at Sally for $.49 a package. Very good buy if anyone needs more.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
epr25 said:
I tried these last night. My hair did dry allot better then with the sponge rollers. I think I bought a size to large. The curl isn't quite as tight as I would like i t to be. I found these really hard to put in place and stay that is. I am not sure if I was taking to large of sections or what. They just would not stay put? Any suggestions?

By the way. The perm rods are on sale at Sally for $.49 a package. Very good buy if anyone needs more.

General rule of thumb: Your section of hair, should be no bigger than the size of the rod, width and length. Same goes for rollers.

P.S. Thanks for the heads up on the Sally's perm rods sale!

Smuterella

One Too Many
I *think* i bought perm rods today, they are yellow with an elastic thing on

am going to try them this evening, unless I have to go to my gfs? hmmm

any tips?

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I usually hot roll my hair and those curls are usually relaxed before the day's out.

However, perm rods and setting lotion give my hair nice curl that usually lasts for about two days (my hair is thin and super straight).

Here's a pic of curls by perm rods (my hair was very short at the time mind you):

l_e4a7cf0ec7890e621e5ff6d6403cc366.jpg

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
I can only find perm rods that look like this:
705035.jpg

The ones in Lolita Haze's pics seem to have the same circumference throughout the rod, like a cylinder, not going inwards in the middle like the ones above. Would that make any difference? What kind of perming rods do you UK girls use?
Thanks! :)

~*Red*~

Practically Family
oh my, those are tiny!! Beauty supply stores should carry multiple sizes.. from that teeny tiny one, to over 1" in diameter. Hopefully the UK ladies can steer you toward the B.S. that will carry them. :)

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I used the smaller rods on my daughters naturally curly hair and the end results were shirly temple type curls. Rolled early in the day because of thickness. After brushing out she had a fro, which is what I was aiming for for 70s day at school.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
ShrinkingViolet said:
I can only find perm rods that look like this:
705035.jpg

The ones in Lolita Haze's pics seem to have the same circumference throughout the rod, like a cylinder, not going inwards in the middle like the ones above. Would that make any difference? What kind of perming rods do you UK girls use?
Thanks! :)

Those are the only type of perm rod I have seen but I haven't looked in Sallys yet. The pack I've got have 3 different sizes and I use the largest which is still rather small. I am so pleased with them and have been achieving fluffy curly styles that I can never get with any other type of roller. I haven't seen the full ones that Lolita uses but again, Sallys may stock them. I wouldn't recommend the teeny tiny ones though as they really do create an afro!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
These are the ones I use. They do have a slight concave to each of them, but since the diameter is larger, the dip is more gradule.
000062033003317_main.jpg

000062033003318_main.jpg

concave_perm_rod_green.jpg

The purple is about as small as I like to go... anything smaller is too hard to brush out and will fro like mad! My hair is far too thick for the tiny ones. I know from experience... I have used the super small pink, white, and grey ones!

The smaller the curler the tighter and longer the curl will last. After a few days the curl will open up into a wave, but still be there. You may have to reset some of the looser curls every other night or so.

Shrinking Violet... The ones you found are basically the same thing... I would just look for a wider diameter like 1/2 inch or a full 1 inch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn