Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Personal Heat

Victor

One of the Regulars
I sold off my arsenal except for a Mosin Nagant WWII era 7.62x54 Russian rifle and a Ruger .22 Single Six revolver (old style)

Havana

One of the Regulars
Thankfully, we can carry concealed firearms here in the South. I keep a fifties vintage Colt Agent 38 in my left boot at all times. For additional or specialized carry, I have a couple of Ruger 45LC/45ACP single actions with custom features. I have a stainless Vaquero with a custom 4" barrel and a Blackhawk with a custom 2" barrel and Bisley hammer. A mil spec 1911 is the only automatic I ever carry. When it comes to a personal firearm, I prefer the classics (or at least reproductions of the classics).

Michaelson

One Too Many
ITG said:
Don't laugh...
An Airsoft Daisy Powerline 44 (Raiders Indy BB gun).

Yep, nothing to laugh about. Some folks like a sharp pencil as a weapon for defense, so this one could be pretty deadly if shots are placed correctly. Quiet too! :eek:

It's been a while since I've seen a Colt Agent, Havana! Nice old gun, and light. Not for a lot of target shooting, but man, it's perfect for what it's designed to do!

Regards. Michaelson

Mycroft

One Too Many
Michaelson said:
Yep, nothing to laugh about. Some folks like a sharp pencil as a weapon for defense, so this one could be pretty deadly if shots are placed correctly. Quiet too! :eek:

It's been a while since I've seen a Colt Agent, Havana! Nice old gun, and light. Not for a lot of target shooting, but man, it's perfect for what it's designed to do!

Regards. Michaelson

I carry playing cards.

Michaelson

One Too Many
In the hands of the right person, very bad news. You can either spin and 'stick em', or you can cut cards to see who leaves the scene of the crime unscathed. :) ;) Regards. Michaelson

Mycroft

One Too Many
Michaelson said:
In the hands of the right person, very bad news. You can either spin and 'stick em', or you can cut cards to see who leaves the scene of the crime unscathed. :) ;) Regards. Michaelson

I throw them very well, it leaves cuts faces, if I get the it right. But it is just a hobby. Mythbusters was wrong on this one.

Here is a good beginner's site on the subject:
http://www.davidslife.com/funstuff/cards/

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Terminal Energy of Playing Cards/Paper Cuts

Mycroft-
-do you really believe that stuff?
The possibility of throwing a deadly blow with a playing card,
at whatever speed sounds unlikely.
Playing cards are so light that getting enough energy out of them to
do damage would surely be unlikely-

Now Throwing-Stars - they can inflict serious injury-

BT.

Canadave

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Mycroft-
-do you really believe that stuff?
The possibility of throwing a deadly blow with a playing card,
at whatever speed sounds unlikely.

I saw Ricky Jay perform about 20 years ago, and he could throw a playing card at a watermelon and make it penetrate.

David

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
A watermelon?

You saw Ricky Jay penetrate a watermelon?
I wouldn't want to be his enemy, or a watermelon.
I saw Mythbusters doing it too, with a machine.
Throwing cards of course-

This conversation is an example of inuendo.

High terminal velocity is achievable but not so much terminal energy-
-with the playing cards...
BT.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
But will you pull the trigger?

All this talk about carrying guns....whew!

ANYONE EVER SEEN OR CAUSED A REAL GUN SHOT VICTIM?

HAVE YOU EVER PULLED THE TRIGGER?

WOULD YOU PULL THE TRIGGER?

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN SHOT AT, REALLY?

gandydancer

Familiar Face
Andykev said:

Now those are the questions.

Add, 5. have you ever actually been shot?

And, 6. if yes, to the above questions would you do it again, knowing what you do now?

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
Understand that there is no intent to make light of the bad things guns can and have been used for. However, they do have a certain aesthetic that is attractive unto itself. Also, the thompson sub-machine gun, along with fedora hats, alcohol and hot jazz have become hallmarks of the idealized glory of the 1920s.

Of course, in real life it was never as much fun as it seems. Even the characters in the Great Gatsby all have a tragic quality to their nature.

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
Andykev: Yes to every one of your questions.
God will let me know if I chose wisely, but I'm still here to ask Him.

I would love to run across an old nickel-plated Colt 1911. Would just look "period correct." Springfield's running a nickel-plated 1911 in 38 Super right now, but I've been spending too much on hats to toss out $900 for one of those. And, since Art posted about that "Boss" hat (or whatever the name happens to end up), and that's now on my #1 buy list, will just live with the guns I have now.

But, I'm still living. I am not a wolf. However, I will not be one of the sheep, either. I guess I'm one of the sheepdogs (check out the book "On Killing" sometime). I am not saying this is the best way. It is just my way.
Having said all this, I'll back out of this topic now, as I believe I've run past what MK intended regarding the topics of this fine forum. I'm responding in this fashion, Andykev, because I gathered that your YELLING perhaps had some undertones to it. Of course, I could likely be mistaken. I sincerely hope that you are never shot at. It is really scary. It is much more scary when you're shot at and you do not have a gun with which to defend yourself.
My apologies to anyone if I've strayed outside.
Now, I'll go back to learning about fine hats. PanamaBob recommended a book on Panama hats, and it's sitting on my nightstand right now. Some fine reading and no shooting!
Dave

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Our secret

Andykev said:

We love ya! I hope you are ok! The boys of the lounge. :cheers1: Coke

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Faux Pau

DBLIII said:
Andykev: Yes to every one of your questions.
God will let me know if I chose wisely, but I'm still here to ask Him.

I would love to run across an old nickel-plated Colt 1911. Would just look "period correct." Springfield's running a nickel-plated 1911 in 38 Super right now, but I've been spending too much on hats to toss out $900 for one of those. And, since Art posted about that "Boss" hat (or whatever the name happens to end up), and that's now on my #1 buy list, will just live with the guns I have now.

But, I'm still living. I am not a wolf. However, I will not be one of the sheep, either. I guess I'm one of the sheepdogs (check out the book "On Killing" sometime). I am not saying this is the best way. It is just my way.
Having said all this, I'll back out of this topic now, as I believe I've run past what MK intended regarding the topics of this fine forum. I'm responding in this fashion, Andykev, because I gathered that your YELLING perhaps had some undertones to it. Of course, I could likely be mistaken. I sincerely hope that you are never shot at. It is really scary. It is much more scary when you're shot at and you do not have a gun with which to defend yourself.
My apologies to anyone if I've strayed outside.
Now, I'll go back to learning about fine hats. PanamaBob recommended a book on Panama hats, and it's sitting on my nightstand right now. Some fine reading and no shooting!
Dave

Woah there!! My apology. I am on a new laptop as I screwed up the desktop with Norton..so I cannot use the desktop online until it is fixed. The laptop is fine and virus and intrusion protected..and those keys are mighty tiny to hit accurately.

So I WASN'T YELLING! Sorry. I forgot that, only used caps for emphasis...but I used caps in error. You were offended. I am wrong.

My point to bringing this up, was that so many people I know talk all the time about carrying guns, and so on. Some states allow a lot of leeway, while in California, you can only carry Pepper Spray. Gun Permits are like an Act of Congress. Few chiefs or sheriffs will grant one. California is too liberal.

That said, the point was ....carring a gun is one thing, killing someone or putting a hole in them is something else.

I have seen murder, suicide, assault, and you name it. It is not an easy thing to take a life.

I also forgot my close friends here on the lounge who served in battle. They did ultimate duty to Country. They carry demons to this day.

I wish them well..and now realize I know nothing to their experiences. I guess I am thankful I did not have to do what they did, and I am glad they had the courage to do what was asked of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner