Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peters Brothers

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
So the Tankersley is in hand

My first impression is that it is beautiful.
Wonderfully shaped and the green ribbon is almost black... Gorgeous .
Very well made .

It is quite a bit more stiff than I imagined... Almost feels brittle.
Brittle to the point where when I slightly squeeze it I hear cracking sounds

and it is a bit snug which I'm a little upset about... so obviously not very comfortable.

I'm not a big straw guy and don't know much about hats that are this stiff...
... Is it safe to give it a nudge with the stretcher or am I screwed with a beautiful hat that is too small ?

I'm also curious why it is too small when I gave him the exact measurements I gave Michael Gannon and John Penman... both of who's hats fit wonderfully.

I love the hat
The question is can I even wear it?

07ed793baa9adbefcdd74b677d5822fe.jpg

9ce0beb04311772f5fcf512116501524.jpg

c259d4cf8004a64d195f7540b0416033.jpg

Sent from my iPhone while orbiting the earth in a sea foam green 1957 Cadillac

Last edited:

RJR

So the Tankerskey is in hand

Very well made .

and it is a bit snug which I'm a little upset about... so obviously not very comfortable.

... Is it safe to give it a nudge with the stretcher or am I screwed with a beautiful hat that is too small ?

I'm also curious why it is too small when I gave him the exact measurements I gave Michael Gannon and John Penman... both of who's hats fit wonderfully.

I love the hat

It's a really good looking hat.I have a couple,they are a bit stiff but loosen up with use.Give PB a call and convey your issues.I'm sure they'll make it right.

Very well made .

I love the hat

I'm with RJR. Give Shane a call. I can't speak for stretching, but I reshaped mine a bit over the weekend - dropped the back a bit to give it a rake and tightened the pinch a little. A little steam and it was soft and supple and reshaped great. Hopefully, the size isn't too far off and a tweak will get it there for you.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I actually put mine on a stretcher as well. The hat fit fine, but I like my hats, especially summer hats, a bit loose. It stretched with ease. Now it fits absolutely how I like it.

thats very good to hear Rick ?

so no problems giving it a little nudge huh ?

rclark

Call Me a Cab

Very well made .

I love the hat

How do you like the hemp on this hat compared to the Stetson hemp?

rclark

Call Me a Cab
that may take me a few days to answer .. haven't even wore it yet

my first impressions were ... wow this is stiff and feels brittle

I'm sure it will grow on me with some ware when it softens a touch
I was a bit surprised as well, but it really breathes nicely and is very malleable with just a bit of steam. I haven't had a lot of luck changing anything on my Stetson hemp Strat. Now I am trying to decide whether to keep the hemp Open Road. The brim seems much wider when I wear it than I had imagined.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I was a bit surprised as well, but it really breathes nicely and is very malleable with just a bit of steam. I haven't had a lot of luck changing anything on my Stetson hemp Strat. Now I am trying to decide whether to keep the hemp Open Road. The brim seems much wider when I wear it than I had imagined.

I agree .. I was wearing it around the yard today and something about the proportions of the brim to the crown height feels a touch off

I dig it for what it is though .. it will keep the sun off me

rclark

Call Me a Cab
I have the basic two piece wood with the nut in the middle
Ok I'd go real easy with that type of stretcher. I just hat the indentations that they make in the sweatband, but being that this is not a vintage hat, that would not bother me as much. If you ever get the chance to snag a Garve hat stretcher or similar, I would highly recommend it. They look cool too.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
I agree .. I was wearing it around the yard today and something about the proportions of the brim to the crown height feels a touch off

I dig it for what it is though .. it will keep the sun off me
Agreed. The proportions just seem a bit off. Also, the open road hemp is just a bit "floppy" for my taste, but it does fit the bill of keeping the sun at bay. Overall, I really prefer the Peters Bros. Shady Oak.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Ok I'd go real easy with that type of stretcher. I just hat the indentations that they make in the sweatband, but being that this is not a vintage hat, that would not bother me as much. If you ever get the chance to snag a Garve hat stretcher or similar, I would highly recommend it. They look cool too.

I always look at them on eBay and am tempted ... but they are always so expensive

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Man there was a Garve on there not too long ago that went for around $150. It was a great deal but I already have something similar so I passed. Regardless, they are a good investment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn