Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peters Brothers

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Wow I am thinking that all these hats from Peter Brothers are just so darned nice, they are almost "sinfully" attractive.

I have to wait a few days to make sure my purse can swing ordering one. Can I tell them a measurement for the size and opening dimension? You know like I would need one that measures 8 1/2 by 6 1/2 ( 7 1/2 LO) to fit my Husband? And I am seeing some different colors of the ribbon and some on brim trim...anyone know what colors they could offer for the ribbon treatment?
Speak to Shane and he'll tell u what he can or can't do and whats avaliable for ribbons etc.

g.durand

One Too Many
Bob, I just used steam and it temporarily softened where the steam was applied, which allowed me to hand shape it. I had to work some areas repeatedly to get the shape I wanted.

Cindy, I gave them my exact measurements based on the circumference of my best-fitting hats, and requested a long oval. I used a credit card to pay. Not sure if they take Paypal, but Dragon's Milk may well work!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Bob, I just used steam and it temporarily softened where the steam was applied, which allowed me to hand shape it. I had to work some areas repeatedly to get the shape I wanted.

Cindy, I gave them my exact measurements based on the circumference of my best-fitting hats, and requested a long oval. I used a credit card to pay. Not sure if they take Paypal, but Dragon's Milk may well work!
Thanks so much. I will have to ask for a long oval size as well. My Husband wears a 7 1/2 LO and I wear a 6 1/2 LO!

EstherWeis

Vendor
After two days of shenanigans with FedEx, I have my PB hat. I ordered an Open Road style hat, or what Peters Brothers refers to as the Shady Oaks, after the famous felt hats they made and that were named by Amon Carter. I asked for a 2 7/8" brim width.

Out of the box the crown was too tall for my liking, and as Rick mentioned, the cattleman's crease seemed odd, too. The center dent was too narrow and the pinch was too tight. The fit was also a bit tight, as others have mentioned. After steaming, the stiff hemp weave softened up and I was able to reshape it with a crown block, then lower the crown by hand and give it my preferred cattleman's crease. I also gently eased up the size with a hat stretcher and re-flanged the brim to give it more curl. Although the brim is 2 3/4", I like the proportions after reshaping.

All in all I am very happy with it. It has a nice sweatband and it's everything I wanted. I like the look of it, and I'll be wearing this hat a lot this summer. I'm seriously considering ordering another one in another style and color.

IMG_7674_zpsww8ij32c.jpg
IMG_7669_zpsqkuqnp4d.jpg
IMG_7670_zps5lxs675i.jpg
IMG_7671_zps7vct1dc1.jpg

That's a beauty!
You would be great for hat advertising, everything you put on just looks wonderful...

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
That's a beauty!
You would be great for hat advertising, everything you put on just looks wonderful...

You know Esther , I was thinking the same thing ! Great Minds ... .

Well , I lost my Bay (40X Stetson) hopeful acquisition , BUMMER ! So if I call Shane , I think I'm going to see if a 3" Brim Tall Crown Hemp (Brown Ribbon) might be possible , or if their Panama Straw could handle it (might be too floppy) . I like the Wider Crease , that OR skinny Cattleman just doesn't like my Head . Open Crown probably is the way to go . Precreased Hats never seem to work , I always have to mess with them . Anthony got a Hemp from Peters Bros. I think , I bet he got 2 3/4" . Guessing .

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

Thx. I'll give it a try.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
After two days of shenanigans with FedEx, I have my PB hat. I ordered an Open Road style hat, or what Peters Brothers refers to as the Shady Oaks, after the famous felt hats they made and that were named by Amon Carter. I asked for a 2 7/8" brim width.

Out of the box the crown was too tall for my liking, and as Rick mentioned, the cattleman's crease seemed odd, too. The center dent was too narrow and the pinch was too tight. The fit was also a bit tight, as others have mentioned. After steaming, the stiff hemp weave softened up and I was able to reshape it with a crown block, then lower the crown by hand and give it my preferred cattleman's crease. I also gently eased up the size with a hat stretcher and re-flanged the brim to give it more curl. Although the brim is 2 3/4", I like the proportions after reshaping.

All in all I am very happy with it. It has a nice sweatband and it's everything I wanted. I like the look of it, and I'll be wearing this hat a lot this summer. I'm seriously considering ordering another one in another style and color.

IMG_7674_zpsww8ij32c.jpg
IMG_7669_zpsqkuqnp4d.jpg
IMG_7670_zps5lxs675i.jpg
IMG_7671_zps7vct1dc1.jpg

beautiful Michael

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The hemp I got last summer has developed a weird curl in the back of the brim due to the spacers I was using. I tried steaming it a bit but may have been a little over-cautious. I think I'll try again when the new one arrives as it will be a Strat style as well and I can better judge the shape. It's a tricky business, so I'll appreciate any tips you guys might have. Also, anyone notice the smell when you steam it?

g.durand

One Too Many
The hemp I got last summer has developed a weird curl in the back of the brim due to the spacers I was using. I tried steaming it a bit but may have been a little over-cautious. I think I'll try again when the new one arrives as it will be a Strat style as well and I can better judge the shape. It's a tricky business, so I'll appreciate any tips you guys might have. Also, anyone notice the smell when you steam it?

I can't answer the question about the curl, but I did notice the smell when I steamed the hat. It's not unpleasant, but it doesn't smell like hemp!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I can't answer the question about the curl, but I did notice the smell when I steamed the hat. It's not unpleasant, but it doesn't smell like hemp!

I noticed a smell as well

a very chemically kind of smell ... definitely some sort of treatment I assume

my hemp strat has it as well but worse ... and my hemp OR also has a faint remnant of it

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, then I hope "this week" meant "next week" ... hmmmm!
I believe I ordered mine around the the same time (first week of April). Funny how it seems much longer. Anyway, here's hoping for this week. I'm already thinking about the next one.
N.B. A word of caution to anyone using spacers with these hats: because of the way they're woven, a single foam spacer under the sweatband in the back will cause the rear brim to develop a considerable curl. I'd suggest, if needed, to use smaller spacers and distribute them around the hat. BTW, I was surprised to hear that some of you received hats a bit small, as mine was a full size large. It'll be interesting to see how the new one comes in.

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Just to be sure: Did PB send you guys an email when they shipped the hat?

I did not get an email ... but I had been in contact with them via phone because of a few concerns and they told me it was being shipped that day

so I guess it is possible that this is why I received no email

Last edited:

rogerstg

A-List Customer
Has anyone ordered a hemp in silver gray? The website lists it as a color choice, but I can't find a picture.
Thanks,
Roger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner