Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peters Brothers

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Moon. I phoned them a week ago, so they probably don't send me an email either. With 7 hours difference it would be great with a working email address on the website. A mighty fine thing even without the diff, I guess :)

I just have to wait a couple of weeks. I wasn't build for waiting! :D

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Moon. I phoned them a week ago, so they probably don't send me an email either. With 7 hours difference it would be great with a working email address on the website. A mighty fine thing even without the diff, I guess :)

I just have to wait a couple of weeks. I wasn't build for waiting! :D
I just spoke to them and was told my hat will be going out by the end of the week, so it looks like a turnaround time of about a month. I'm really looking forward to it, to say the least.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Heeee-Haw! The Texas Cattle Train just arrived!
WP_20160514_11_27_19_Pro.jpg

- more to follow :)

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
So here she is:
WP_20160514_11_36_12_Pro.jpg

WP_20160514_11_36_51_Pro.jpg

I allowed for a bit of slack in my order. After all, it's straw and dimensions may be hard to get right on the millimeter. It ended up with a 2-5/8" brim - 4-3/4" in front of the crown and a 16''' (1-7/16") chocolate ribbon.

The fit is very close to perfect (58.5cm Long Oval), and I'm super satisfied! The postman excused many times, that he caught me in the middle of a shower. "Bad timing ... you must be kidding me!".

I'm going to my grand niece's 4 year birthday in half an hour. I'm sure, she'll love and appreciate Gruncle's (our own word for "grand uncle") new hat :D

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
So here she is:
View attachment 49713
View attachment 49714
I allowed for a bit of slack in my order. After all, it's straw and dimensions may be hard to get right on the millimeter. It ended up with a 2-5/8" brim - 4-3/4" in front of the crown and a 16''' (1-7/16") chocolate ribbon.

The fit is very close to perfect (58.5cm Long Oval), and I'm super satisfied! The postman excused many times, that he caught me in the middle of a shower. "Bad timing ... you must be kidding me!".

I'm going to my grand niece's 4 year birthday in half an hour. I'm sure, she'll love and appreciate Gruncle's (our own word for "grand uncle") new hat :D

absolutely gorgeous Ole ...

RJR

So here she is:
View attachment 49713
View attachment 49714

Really nice looking,you have to be pleased.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Thank you guys for the nice comments and likes - and yes, I'm really so pleased with it. It's spot on what I hoped for :)

Maybe I find the crown a bit "massive" for my face, so I'll be taking it down about 1/4". Have anyone by the way noticed the sweet smell, when you hit the hat with steam? It reminds me of toffee - or the sweet component of a Cavendish dominated pipe tobacco. That was a fun surprise :)

The birthday was a great opportunity to break in the new hat. For many years my niece and her husband have housed US exchange students - and he has been coaching Danish (American) football players for years. Thus inspired, the menu was homemade BBQ-sandwiches with fries, coleslaw and watermelon salad. What could be more appropriately Southern - although the hat originated in "Beef-country"? :D

Today weather changed to rain, so no noggin shots for now. Hopefully during the coming week.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Well, I chose to challenge faith, wearing my new PB during my daily walk. Fortunately it kept mostly dry, and I only caught a few drops. Just before leaving:
WP_20160515_13_55_40_Selfie.jpg

Some additional thoughts of mine: The hat seems really well made. It may or may not be protective against harmful sun rays, but at least it's wonderfully airy. The temperature dropped significantly today, and I almost felt cold on my skull! I can hardly wait to try it on a really hot day.

It's double the weight of my lightest Panama: 150g (5-1/4 oz) against my 800 WPS Monte's 70g (2-3/8 oz) - but the PB feels significantly cooler!

I find the material very nice. In the past I've called it "a hemp Milan", but in the future I'll settle for "a hemp". Except for the fact, it was sewn from narrow plant-material braids, it's got nothing to do with a Milan. To me a Milan must be made from 3-3.5mm wheat braid. This material is something all on it's own, and is absolutely fine/good enough to be judged as such. It doesn't have to borrow fame or hype from it's cousin :)

As been noted by others, the craftsmanship is top notch! A (custom-)standard quality 1-3/4" sweat - and nice ribbon work with hidden stitches. It was a little roomy around my temples, but they are pretty deep in the first place ... otherwise perfect fit!

All in all I find it worthy of my warmest recommendations. At $150 it's a bargain - even so at the $270 shipped and taxed to Copenhagen.

Get one before your neighbor! Get two to stay ahead of him! :D

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Ole; IMO, the crown height is eye appealing. I can see why you wish to take the crown height down as it would make the hemp fedora very like the size of a 40's-50's fedora. The ribbon work, on the posted pic's, looks sharp.

Your write-up, combined with others has me on the edge of my seat to call Texas. Perhaps the hysteria of Straw Hat Day is getting to me.:)

Sharp warm weather hemp sir. Best, Eric -

(BTW: The shirt, hat and eye glass combo is first rate.)

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Ole; IMO, the crown height is eye appealing. I can see why you wish to take the crown height down as it would make the hemp fedora very like the size of a 40's-50's fedora. The ribbon work, on the posted pic's, looks sharp.
Thank you for the kind words, Eric. In that shot I had just taken it down a bit. I will let it stay there a little while and see if I get used to the height - or if I will lower it a tad more. New things deserve a chance. Well, not always in hindsight ... but you know what I mean :D

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Well, I chose to challenge faith, wearing my new PB during my daily walk. Fortunately it kept mostly dry, and I only caught a few drops. Just before leaving:
View attachment 49763

Some additional thoughts of mine: The hat seems really well made. It may or may not be protective against harmful sun rays, but at least it's wonderfully airy. The temperature dropped significantly today, and I almost felt cold on my skull! I can hardly wait to try it on a really hot day.

It's double the weight of my lightest Panama: 150g (5-1/4 oz) against my 800 WPS Monte's 70g (2-3/8 oz) - but the PB feels significantly cooler!

I find the material very nice. In the past I've called it "a hemp Milan", but in the future I'll settle for "a hemp". Except for the fact, it was sewn from narrow plant-material braids, it's got nothing to do with a Milan. To me a Milan must be made from 3-3.5mm wheat braid. This material is something all on it's own, and is absolutely fine/good enough to be judged as such. It doesn't have to borrow fame or hype from it's cousin :)

As been noted by others, the craftsmanship is top notch! A (custom-)standard quality 1-3/4" sweat - and nice ribbon work with hidden stitches. It was a little roomy around my temples, but they are pretty deep in the first place ... otherwise perfect fit!

All in all I find it worthy of my warmest recommendations. At $150 it's a bargain - even so at the $270 shipped and taxed to Copenhagen.

Get one before your neighbor! Get two to stay ahead of him! :D

just a really great looking hat my friend ... looks fantastic on you

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ole, you're absolutely right about the differences between the true Milan straw hats, as made only by Art Fawcett and Optimo, and the hemp hats. I have to say, though, that when I received my brown (Indy Brown, but we won't go into that) the other day, I examined it in the sunlight before sending it back and was delighted with the beautiful golden tones of the hemp, not unlike my VS Milan. I really can't wait to get it back in the right style. Actually, I find the PB hemp to be much closer to the Milan straw than whatever the plasticky substance is that's being touted by some of the bigger makers as Milan straw. Because of all this comparing, I've also decided to go ahead and order another VS Milan. Check out that Milan cowboy hat that Art just posted on the VS thread: it makes even a city boy like me want to give a rebel yell.

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
I got a box today with 2 hats from Peters Bothers in Fort Worth Tx.

First I unboxed a black beauty.

In front of my eyes it looks closer to Black Cherry than pure black, the craftmanship is outstanding, I could not find a flaw on the hat.

Then there is the diamond shaped crown, perfect to me, perfect fit on 7 1/2, with a nice all leather sweatband, as comfortable as it can get.

Then the Burgundy ribbon, it is full of life and combines great with the reddish tones of the hat, it is a high contrast ribbon that somehow blends perfectly with the hat.

Overall, a great hat for the price, and, if you consider you are buying from a privately owned store, more a family owned store, that has beed forever in the hat market it makes a great acquisition !!

1235914e6758eabf65cc35de04713a18.jpg
f261a97f8a7ed2d79627057dad62a39f.jpg
abf2eb467767cda61f5abd22b1ff44c7.jpg
e25f7264746984214ddfe5549cb867e4.jpg
f462cc0d6f509d32ce5026748d0ef091.jpg
37963f64dc51d5127affef59de49495b.jpg
7010732a706fd6a9dbf467eb5c004c87.jpg
a2b5e4d7066de4bbfdf5bfd207377cb5.jpg

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members