Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peters Brothers

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
My dad used to have jars with white PVA-glue standing around his workshops. With (over)ageing they cold take on a really unpleasant odor - not completely unlike the smell from my hat.

I wonder, if PB's hats are stiffened with PVA-stiffener. It's my impression, that PVA is often used for straws in the millinery business(?)

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not that it's any consolation, but we had a brief conversation about this some pages back. That said, I have several straws now, and the only one I'll allow to get wet at all is my Sunbody. We get quite a few unannounced downpours here, and I always make sure I've got a plastic bag in my bookbag. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Randburr

New in Town
Just a quick question about the $90.00 peters Brothers dress straws on the website. I assume they are shantung, but how pliable are they? Do they feel like a hat or the helmet strength stuff common in today's western hats?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Not that it's any consolation, but we had a brief conversation about this some pages back. That said, I have several straws now, and the only one I'll allow to get wet at all is my Sunbody. We get quite a few unannounced downpours here, and I always make sure I've got a plastic bag in my bookbag. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.
I never allow my straws to get wet either. It's just, that I'm not always in charge :D

Usually I don't get caught in the rain with straw on my head. The few couple of times it happened, it was just a little drizzle - and I could cover the hat with my jacket. In the future, a plastic bag may be an idea, when wearing a shirt ;)

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I'm trying to fall in love with my Peters Bros. been wearing it everyday

it's not happening .. at least not yet

so damn stiff and not all that comfortable to be honest

selling it has crossed my mind more than once ...

it looks amazing ... feel, not so much

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
so damn stiff and not all that comfortable to be honest
Mine was very stiff too. The sweat is soft, though - and that's the only thing I wear. I don't find the hat uncomfortable to wear :)

The hemp was stiffened pretty hard, but a lot of massaging helped. Now it's a lot softer and nicer to handle. A little rain also helped, though the smell was very unpleasant while wet.

I've really enjoyed mine, and it's getting better as I wear (and work) it :)

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Mine was quite stiff when I got it, but has softened quite a bit after some use. It fits perfectly and is nice to wear.

Interestingly, when I called at the store, rather than measure my head, Shane measured the Penman hat I was wearing - using one of those hat measuring gizmos. Worked out perfectly.

I'd say the PB milans are a great bargain - can't quite compete with Art's in the quality department, but at half the price (and the fact, Art's milans are the original wheat straw, rather than hemp) I wouldn't expect them to.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Mine was quite stiff when I got it, but has softened quite a bit after some use. It fits perfectly and is nice to wear.

Interestingly, when I called at the store, rather than measure my head, Shane measured the Penman hat I was wearing - using one of those hat measuring gizmos. Worked out perfectly.

I'd say the PB milans are a great bargain - can't quite compete with Art's in the quality department, but at half the price (and the fact, Art's milans are the original wheat straw, rather than hemp) I wouldn't expect them to.
Sounds like they are almost 2 different type straw hats with the main similarity being the style of weave.

RJR

I agree,PBs are a bargain,particularly since they are on sale now.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I'm sorry, but the PB-hemp is no more "a Milan" than many Westerns made of sewn together (wide) straw braids.

The hemp fibres can in no ways be compared to wheat-stems. The braiding techniques are obviously also completely different. The only similarity is, that "endless" braids of some plant-material are sewn together to make up a hat body.

The fact, that I boil my egg, doesn't make it a potato - not even if I boil them both for the same amount of time :)

I find it unfair to compare the two types. I very much like my hemp, but it's in no ways as luxurious as a Milan. No matter how much the stiffener degrades, the material itself is a lot coarser. I also love my knitted Icelandic wool sweater - but I never call it "my silk shirt" ;)

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
<off-topic>
Back in my childhood everybody around here used toilet paper of the brand "No. 00". It was some extremely thin, hard, smooth, yellowish, single-layered paper - made from recycled newspapers and telephone books. Absolutely unsuited for it's purpose.

In the early 70s most people had replaced it with modern and soft multi-layered toilet paper. Only a few old people and some public places still used "00".

In the mid 80s I entered a public toilet, and to my great surprise I found it equipped with a roll of "00"! I was obviously not the first surprised user. Someone had left a graffiti on the wall above the roll:

"This toilet paper is just like Clint Eastwood!
It's rough - it's tough - and it won't take no sh*t!"

Those words of deep philosophy sure made my day (pun indeed intended)!
</off-topic>

Some days me and my schizophrenic self refer to my PB-hemp as "my Clint" ... But we love it ;) :D

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
We had that same toilet paper in the uk when I was a lad - I recall my grandmother always had it. Schools seemed to like it too.

Completely useless for the intended task.

Back to milans, we seem to collectively refer to hats with that type of weave as milans regardless of what the material is, from wheat straw to plastic.

It's easier to write "my hemp Milan" than "my hat utilizing a similar construction to a Milan, but using an alternative material for the braid, in this case, hemp"

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
We had that same toilet paper in the uk when I was a lad - I recall my grandmother always had it. Schools seemed to like it too.

Completely useless for the intended task.

Back to milans, we seem to collectively refer to hats with that type of weave as milans regardless of what the material is, from wheat straw to plastic.

It's easier to write "my hemp Milan" than "my hat utilizing a similar construction to a Milan, but using an alternative material for the braid, in this case, hemp"
That's exactly why I call it "my hemp". Can't get easier than that, David ;)

Panama hats are woven - Milans and hemps are not. They are sewn from wheat or hemp braids - and the two braiding methods are quite different from what I can see. Also the braids look and feel very different. The only comparison is the sewing. A hemp may look like a Milan from 30-40 feet, but certainly not from 3-4.

Violin or ukulele ... who cares? ... or ...? ;)

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I actually have a 50's Stetson "Genuine Panama" (as the sweatband says), that is made of toquilla straw, but braided like a Milan - there's a lot of variation and the distinctions are blurred.

But like you say, who cares?

The toilet paper issue is way more important in most people's lives.

Cheers!
David!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner