Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pictures of Nuns requested.

roselily

One of the Regulars
I'm trying to find some images of what nuns working in hospitals (specifically france, but anywhere in Europe, really) would have worn in WWI thru the 1920's. I found this ONE image

angi01.jpg

but I'm hoping to find some where you can actually see the habit. (And how the habit differs from the regular habit) Any clues where I might look?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Are you sure you wants nuns? At that time in England one category of nurses were called sisters, and wore similar outfits, but I don't think they were actually nuns. Don't really know what the system would have been in France, but there would have been a lot of British nurses in France during the war. In that picture it looks like there are two nuns, and the rest are nurses.
You might rent either version of "A Farewell to Arms", the 1932 Gary Cooper - Helen Hayes version, or the 1957 Rock Hudson - Jennifer Jones. They'd have a lot of good images.

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
The habits will vary to a certain extent depending on which order of religious you are looking at. Each order has its own special characteristics.

While the terms are often used interchangeably, there is a difference between nuns and sisters. Nuns are cloistered, meaning they live together in religious communities...they tend to keep to themselves in their convents, occassionally allowing outside visitors. Sisters have taken similar religious vows, but typically have more contact with the outside world. They're generally the ones you see doing actual nursing, teaching, missionary work, etc.

The fact that they're all referred to as Sister so-and-so doesn't do anything to eliminate confusion. I work at a Catholic college and we have some great archival photos of the sisters, but unfortunately, nothing from the period you're looking for.

analiebe

A-List Customer
not quite during the 20s but during ww1 and a couple definately french

nuns in quebec 1918
16676_nuns_in_market_420.jpg

portrait of nun usa 1920
pc34.jpg

novice nun 1916 Ww1 war theatre battle manon
LIL1916212R.jpg

french postcard red cross nun 1915
k32940.jpg

also search ebay vintage photographs... i found many on there