Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique this blazer on me!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The eternal debate: keep, or put on ebay? This is a double-breated Prada jacket my mom gave to me. Fancy fancy, I know. It was too big for her, and I'm trying to determine if it's too small for me. I have no idea how it's supposed to fit and if it looks good on me. So, critique please, and remember I don't offend easily so please be honest. For example, it is said that double breasted suits can be unflattering on hourglass figures like mine because they don't emphasize the waist, making said hourglass look chubby. If this is the case, let me know! lol

Anyway, here are pics. Comments plz!

DSCN0552.jpg
DSCN0553.jpg
DSCN0555.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hi Miss.
If you must ask...
A little boxy, perhaps.
Looks good from the side and back but the frontal view could be more flattering of your form(the DB does make somewhat of an optical illusion of boxiness, shortening and squaring, as you may have mentioned). Others will likely disagree so, I have attached a grain/pinch of salt.

My Wife also has a/an ac(cute) figure- a lot of curves in the space of about 20" makes for tricky tailoring/fitting- her particular trickiness is an accute waist to hip curve, more of a shoulder, although she doesn't have "big" hips, or a "small" waist, just a sudden step. Enough of my Wife's particulars...

If you kinda like it, it might be worth getting it altered a little(?)

Otherwise... good eBay fodder anyway.

Have a great weekend!

B
T

Caroline

One of the Regulars
Love the color!

Let me just start by saying that I'm very partial to this shade! It seems to work with your coloring.

I agree that in the front view photo, while not bad, isn't doing a whole lot for you, but you may just need a different shade of pants/skirt. The side and back are fine looking. I don't know if I'd let anyone alter my Prada anything. The sleeves fit your perfectly.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The back needs to be cleaned up at the collar and at the waist, where it should be more fitted. I would guesstimate $60+/-.

DSCN0553.jpg

Miss_Bella_Hell

Waist needs to be tailored if I keep it, certainly.
Collar - how do you mean, exactly? Never had a collar tailored.
Also - good NYC area tailor? Probably don't want to get it tailored at a random dry cleaners.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Two darts in the back will clear that fold up nicely.

Are their shoulder pads in it? You need em'

Too bad you cant move that top button up or down. Its hitting right at the lower of the fullest part of your bust.

The color on you is lovely. And I dig the sleeve length. Just a tad long, I think it works.

LD

Miss_Bella_Hell

Lady Day said:
Two darts in the back will clear that fold up nicely.

Are their shoulder pads in it? You need em'

Too bad you cant move that top button up or down. Its hitting right at the lower of the fullest part of your bust.

The color on you is lovely. And I dig the sleeve length. Just a tad long, I think it works.

LD

No shoulder pads - I should get some you think?

I think if I take in the waist (darts at the back might do it) it'll be fine...I don't know. Maybe too much work.

Although they don't sell for much on ebay. I might get $100 if I'm lucky.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Collar - how do you mean, exactly? Never had a collar tailored.
That roll of fabric right below the collar needs to removed. This is achieved by lowering the collar. It's a relatively common alteration. And you're right about alterations at the dry cleaners; best to see a real tailor.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
you normally look gorgeous, but honestly, i personally don't think it looks very good on you. it's not fitted enough in the waist, and the color doesn't look too great with your skin.

as i'm not impressed by brands at all, i say pitch it and find something that works better for you, shape- and color-wise!

scarlett

One of the Regulars
Yes, I agree with the other loungers on this. It is a little boxy, the color looks great on you, needs a bit of a nip/tuck to be worthy of your curves. Take it to a tailor, get an estimate and a pro opinion, what have you got to lose? You may end up with a fab jacket.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I must disagree with LadyDay on this-

-the top button is just about exactly where it needs to be.
-shoulder pads= lost neck but there does seem to be a small surplus at the shoulder seam.
-tailoring to "correct" the front may sort the back.

Tomasso mentioned taking a scoop out of the collar(under) to allow the back
to lay down but fitting the jacket for the waist/front may correct it.
Heck, a couple of sharp, downward pulls by an attractive assistant may help...
At present, it looks like some of the weight of the jacket(back) is resting on your hips.

What type of cloth is this jacket? Not a leather, is it...?

This piece might look really nice with a dark brown skirt, or trou'.

B
T

playbelle

New in Town
I think you need a less bland colour, personally. :) I agree with others that it is boxy and I'm not sure having it tailored would help all that much in making it significantly better. Rather than spend more money on altering it, I'd sell it and for the money get something better.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
I agree that it looks a little boxy. From the looks of it, a couple of darts front and back would make it hug the body more. I'd suggest taking it to a proper tailor and seeing what they can do without severely altering it (unless you don't mind it being altered).

If it needs shoulderpads, it only needs very thin ones, IMHO. I agree with BellyTank on this one - a visible neck is good. ;)

Out of curiosity, why not try a few belts on with it? Wide, thin, medium, contrasting, coordinating? You might find a good combination that emphasizes your waist.

And see how it looks with differently colored bottoms. Colors in the brown/rust/off-white families should work well.

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
Maybe it's just me but it looks like it sits a bit higher than it should but I'm not an expert and don't know how long or short they're supposed to be.

Madcap72

One of the Regulars
If it has no sentimental value, and you don't think you'd get sellers remorse, I might think about moving it.

Comparing it to the fabulous picture in your avatar doesn't help the jacket's case much...

dakotanorth

Practically Family
The jacket?

I agree with a few people who voted "Nay" on the color- it practically disappears against your skin tone.
I think also the lapels need reshaping- not sure how, maybe starch, maybe interfacing replaced, something.
In short, I say "pass" on this one for you.

Carlisle Blues

Everyone here is on the money. Especially going to a tailor instead of a dry cleaner.

However, my rule of thumb: If what I am wearing accentuates my attributes: skin tone , body shape etc. I keep it. If I have to reconstruct the garment, it is not for me.

I do not see your natural beauty coming through.

In fact the jacket takes center stage rather than you. Nice jacket, but, all the tailoring in the world will not change that.[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW