Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help me order my first Aero?

Fanch, jacket looks great. By far the best-fitting I've seen you in. That fits like that Ventura I had. Keeper for you for sure.
BTW, I'm sportin' 18x37.5, but roll at 6'-4". Sleeves are always the problem.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Most people on the Lounge say that the Alpaca is plenty warm enough for their needs. You could consider a shearling lining too - though that's a bit more expensive. Tweed would be warm, but not in the same league as the full-on Strome. It depends on how flexible you want your jacket to be: heavier the lining the fewer months' wear you get from it. I went with the lightest tartan lining and just layered to supplement, so hopefully it'll see me through to April/May (weather permitting). I was out yesterday with just a shirt underneath it and with a scarf, it was plenty warm.
However, here is the definitive Lounge answer: The only solution to your problem is to buy a selection of of jackets in different styles and linings, and then post pictures here for us. :D

Most people on the Lounge say that the Alpaca is plenty warm enough for their needs. You could consider a shearling lining too - though that's a bit more expensive. Tweed would be warm, but not in the same league as the full-on Strome. It depends on how flexible you want your jacket to be: heavier the lining the fewer months' wear you get from it. I went with the lightest tartan lining and just layered to supplement, so hopefully it'll see me through to April/May (weather permitting). I was out yesterday with just a shirt underneath it and with a scarf, it was plenty warm. However, here is the definitive Lounge answer: The only solution to your problem is to buy a selection of of jackets in different styles and linings, and then post pictures here for us. :D
And our forefathers are rolling in their graves as they owned one jacket for everything. Man, my grandpa is waiting on my arrival one day with a big bat to knock me over the head! :)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
If in their times, they'd had the Fedora Lounge, they'd probably have coat/jacket collections too, it would just be something like Edwardian frock coats or whatever. Every generation creates its own fads! :D

If in their times, they'd had the Fedora Lounge, they'd probably have coat/jacket collections too, it would just be something like Edwardian frock coats or whatever. Every generation creates its own fads! :D
It's more about money/practicality. I don't see any of my grandparents blowing cash like we do here. No how, no way. lol

repo

Familiar Face
Would you say the strome is warmer than the Harris tweed or the Alpaca?

I only have samples of the Strome tartan and was expecting it to be heavier than it is, but I can't always judge from a sample what it would be like in a jacket. I have jackets with Alpaca and Donegal tweed linings and to me, they're about the same in warmth. As has been said in previous threads, I don't think any of these linings are that warm when it gets really cold!

In my experience tweed can come in different styles and weights so might be worth specifying a heavier style if available.

schitzo

Suspended
The crazy warm strome lining would be a feature, especially as I figured I wouldn't have room to layer. I'm going to be wearing it all winter from New York to coastal Maine and while I enjoy winter, I don't dig being cold if that makes sense. Would you say the strome is warmer than the Harris tweed or the Alpaca?

I've never been, but my understanding is New York winters are fairly fresh. And if they are then without layering none of those linings would be warm enough. And even if layers were possible underneath I still think you'd be freezing your brass monkeys off in one.

All of that said, another lining to consider that may be a bit warmer, relatively speaking, is cord.

But in my view a 30s halfbelt would be totally unsuitable for a cold winter. Far better would be to get a 50s halfbelt and have it lined in shearling - which would make it trimmer fitting and offer you a degree of protection from the elements

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
"It's more about money/practicality. I don't see any of my grandparents blowing cash like we do here. No how, no way."
You're absolutely right *peruses Aero pages guiltily*

majormajor

One Too Many
When guys could dress as well as this, off the peg, from the General Store, we didn't need Aero Leathers.....:D;)

grandoldguy.jpg

Edward

Bartender
It's more about money/practicality. I don't see any of my grandparents blowing cash like we do here. No how, no way. lol

It's true, whatever our sartorial preferences, to our grandparents back in the day we'd look more like Edward VIII than a normal person! Jinkies, even if my grandparents had earned anywhere close to what I do, relatively speaking, they were also raising two and three kids on it. True, they didn't have the epxense of living in London as I do... but then they were unlikely to have the sort of opportunities I do now back then either. Another reason I prefer to be in this era looking back to back then looking forward. ;)

But in my view a 30s halfbelt would be totally unsuitable for a cold winter. Far better would be to get a 50s halfbelt and have it lined in shearling - which would make it trimmer fitting and offer you a degree of protection from the elements

Agreed. Honestly, if I was doing it again I might even have mine in Seal Goat rather than FQHH, to get longer wear out of it. I'd definitely counsel against a very warm lining in a 30s Halfbelt. For one thing, it might distort the design somewhat, it being a close-fitting style by cut. Aero would be unlikely to be keen on that now. Thy do do a Highwayman in FQHH with a shearling lining. http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=24 If you do want a short leather jacket for Winter, that would likely be a much beter option. That or the Longshoreman with shearling lining. http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=27 Both more a Fifties cut, but really I think a better option for a cold weather jacket in the long run. The Thirties Halfbelt with a heavy lining, honestly I think you'd find quickly not quite enough for Winter, and too hot for warmer weather. If you get a cold bum easily, look at some of the longer jackets...

majormajor

One Too Many
Another reason I prefer to be in this era looking back to back then looking forward. ;)

Dead right, Edward.

In the current world political climate, looking forward can be a bit forbidding.

Buy the clothes we like, and enjoy ourselves whilst we can!!:eeek:;)

My uncle wore the same shoes for 30 years and just had them re-soled and heeled when they finally had holes in them!
Yep. Now understand, my maternal grandparents were loaded - not drunk - and they lived in the same little house; grandpa only bought a new truck for work (going to work) every 10 years or so and never did I see him buy anything new sans a fishing rod, pipe, or racing form. They just had a different idea of what "living" was. In some ways, I do envy that...

dm8877

New in Town
Well, speaking of the scary future, New York winters are warmer every year :eeek:

I realize warmth and comfort are subjective, but what are we talking here? With strome lining am I likely to be happy at 32Far./0Cel.?

I have the parka if my butt gets too numb.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I have a 30s half belt with a A-2 summer cotton lining. When wearing a chunky gansey underneath 0°C are no problem at all.

pauleway

Practically Family
Yep. Now understand, my maternal grandparents were loaded - not drunk - and they lived in the same little house; grandpa only bought a new truck for work (going to work) every 10 years or so and never did I see him buy anything new sans a fishing rod, pipe, or racing form. They just had a different idea of what "living" was. In some ways, I do envy that...
It was a different mind set, just like being poor meant you probably were thin from lack of food and you walked where you were going and maybe had a radio to listen to. Now being poor means you only have one new car, and only one 50" flat screen TV, and in a lot of cases 50Lbs over weight from eating too much!

dm8877

New in Town
Hi all. So I called Insurrection and Wade was very helpful. He sent me a size 44 he had in stock for me to try. This is great for me because I get to very accurately tweak the fit and great for him because he guarantees the sale. Pictures coming soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails