Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help me order my first Aero?

Edward

Bartender
dm, which steer is that? The more pliable European stuff, or the hard-as-nails Chrome Tanned Horween steer? (I love both). Looks like a good hide. As to fit... it doesn't look wrong, though if the photo is anything to go by I think you might be able to roll with a 42, myself. I'm in the same 'in between' stage with mine, though I went with the 42 because I like the Thirties-style neat fit, and don't wear more than a shirt below it. How does it feel to you?

It was a different mind set, just like being poor meant you probably were thin from lack of food and you walked where you were going and maybe had a radio to listen to. Now being poor means you only have one new car, and only one 50" flat screen TV, and in a lot of cases 50Lbs over weight from eating too much!

More too much of the wrong kinds of processed food, but yeah... it's amazing what a couple of generations of hardcore, capitalist consumerism have done in terms of what is considered "normal". I remember the family in our town that had no tv cause they couldn't afford one... nowadays we'd just assume they were Guardian[i/] readers. lol

front_zpsed4b7fb4.jpg

rear_zpsc92f0e57.jpg

Length looks okay from here...back looks like room thru the shoulders...

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Ah! Looking at the back photo you posted while I was typing, I would definitely suggest trying the 42 to see how it feels with you... Length looks fine to me (these jackets are meant to be cut high), though you could probably get away with another inch longer visually if you feel you need it.

dm8877

New in Town
As it is now, the back is just over 26.5".

The following links are details of the sleeve. The sleeve length on the test jacket is about 26.5". The ruler is poking out of the sleeve an additional 2" touching the top knuckle of my thumb, just where I'd like the cuff to hit. Thoughts?

http://s1278.beta.photobucket.com/user/dm8877/media/sleeve1_zps8f1ceae4.jpg.html
http://s1278.beta.photobucket.com/user/dm8877/media/sleeve2_zps263353d8.jpg.html
http://s1278.beta.photobucket.com/user/dm8877/media/sleeve3_zpsebf007bb.jpg.html

Thanks again for all your help everybody.

dm8877

New in Town
Edward - it's the chrome-tanned steerhide. It's like a suit of armor!

The 44 is just hitting my shoulders perfectly and by perfectly I mean it's just the tiniest bit too tight in a way I know will stretch and break-in to where it should be. I fear a 42 might leave some shoulder poking out past the shoulder seam.

The back has some extra leather near my armpits for sure. The fact that I was raising my arm to get the photo probably doesn't help.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
dm8877, with a sleeve length on the jacket (shoulder seam to end of cuff) of 26.5" I think that you will need at least another 1.5" and probably 2" for the jacket to feel right. Even 29" would probably be OK after slight creasing. Looks like your tailor was correct, and I was not. The back length at 26.5" looks good, although IMO you could go as much as 27" and still look good. I think if you drop down to a size 42 in the 30's slimfit, you might feel as though you were poured into the jacket! To me, a size 44 with 26.5" to 27" back and 28.5" to 29" arms looks about right. I can hardly believe I have run across someone else with arms longer than I.:D

dm8877

New in Town
dm8877, with a sleeve length on the jacket (shoulder seam to end of cuff) of 26.5" I think that you will need at least another 1.5" and probably 2" for the jacket to feel right. Even 29" would probably be OK after slight creasing. Looks like your tailor was correct, and I was not. The back length at 26.5" looks good, although IMO you could go as much as 27" and still look good. I think if you drop down to a size 42 in the 30's slimfit, you might feel as though you were poured into the jacket! To me, a size 44 with 26.5" to 27" back and 28.5" to 29" arms looks about right. I can hardly believe I have run across someone else with arms longer than I.:D

Thanks, Fanch. I'm as surprised as you. I hope they don't get any longer!

Wade suggests going the full 29" to allow for creasing so that's what I'm going to do. I'll be back with pictures in a few months.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
My rule of thumb for the sleeves would be they should end at the first joint of the thumb or slightly above. *) Many folks here wear them very long, reaching the second joint or even covering it, but I find this not comfortable and had my LHB changed because of this. Shoulders seem to be ok, but again, I had it that after breaking in the jacket, the shoulders started sagging a bit. This is something you could check by feeling where the shoulder-joint actually is with respect to the shoulder-seem of the jacket. Length seems to be ok. Arms are a bit wide but that's the pattern I guess. Hope this helps. :)

*) EDIT: So, the sleeves are 1.5 - 2 inch too short.

dm8877

New in Town
Please excuse the poor photos. I will make an effort after a few months of break-in to get some better shots. _336.jpg

_337s.jpg
_338s.jpg
_339s.jpg

It's very, very nice. I have nothing but kind words for the folks at Insurrection. Highly recommended.

I requested a particular tartan in Strome weight. Aero came back and said they had the tartan in Reiver weight and if I wanted something warmer I should get the tweed. I went with the tartan in Reiver. It's "Carnegie Modern" in case you were wondering. I'll see how warm it is and years from now may have it relined with tweed if necessary.

I'd asked for the coat to have the two points on the yoke, but it came with one point like on the Highwayman. I was disappointed at first, but upon reflection I think I actually prefer it. I think it looks cleaner.

The coat has a 3" cord hem. I did not ask for this as I understood Aero wasn't doing it anymore. I am glad it is there.

The fit is practically perfect. The arms are still maybe half an inch too long after three days of wear. I am counting on them to crease up a bit more.

The weather here has been *just* cool enough to justify wearing the jacket. I have been getting looks. Not sure if they are "wow, nice jacket" looks or "what is that doofus doing wearing that jacket in this weather" looks. I did actually have a complete stranger comment "nice jacket" as I passed him on the sidewalk today. That's a first.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Those sleeves will wrinkle a bit further, no doubt, but the fit looks A1 to me. That's a cracking tartan as well.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Based on your description and photos, the overall appearance and fit is outstanding.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Looks great DM.. I think you did good by using Insurection, the fit looks right on. Funny I asked for the cord hem on the 30's halfbelt I received a month or so ago but I didn't get it as I was "talked out of using it" (to be clear I purchased direct from Aero). I agree with you regarding the Tartan, it looks great but is a bit "thin" feeling. Wear it well.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo