Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help with measurements for a jacket!

k3vdynamite

New in Town
I've always lusted over that one leather jacket I can wear for the rest of my life. I had a few cheaper jackets when I was living out my punk rock dreams in middle and high school, but those are long gone and now I feel like I'm ready for something nicer and more worthwhile. My main problem is the fact that I cannot afford to buy one of these beauties brand new. As much as I'd love to, it's just not in the cards right now. I also occasionally see and bid on jackets on the Bay, but I'm not sure if they will fit as well as I'd expect them to.

Another major issue is the fact that I'm not well-versed in sizing when it comes to things that aren't as familiar as sm, med, lrg, etc. I was recently fitted for a suit for a wedding and took a picture of my measurements from men's wearhouse. When I look at people selling jackets on here and online, it seems like there are way more measurements and I'm not really sure what I should be looking for. Here's what I've got:

Coat
chest-40.5
overarm-47.5
sleeve-15.5

Shirt
neck-15
sleeve-33

Sorry for the long post, but any help I could get in deciphering these measurements to utilize in buying a jacket would be greatly appreciated!

k3vdynamite

New in Town
that's why i struggle with understanding the sizing. i've thrifted suits before that fit perfectly and are way different measurements than what i was sized for a few weeks ago. my budget fluctuates with regard to my other hobbies and can be fairly flexible, but maybe i should go try some on in the flesh. i'm also not sure what style i want and probably should try to get a better feel for that. one part of me wants a schott perfecto or similar jacket in black, while another part of me wants a real nice bomber. i'm already addicted to leather boots and shoes and don't know if i can go down this rabbit hole haha. thanks for the advice.

^this. Also looking for the one inevitably leads to the next one. Get out now man. Do yourself a favor and forget about leather jackets. ;)

I knew "the one" wasn't possible when @A-1 who in my opinion, has one of, if not the coolest jackets around here... bought another "one".

As for myself, it's a leather tragedy of biblical proportions. In the last year however, I have found a couple Neo's worth holding onto.

In all seriousness tho Butte is right. Do some leg work with lesser quality stuff to decide where you want to hang your hat on a masterpiece.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
There is also the fact that different paterns and styles will fit differently, I know what chest size I am with a jacket 'normally' but at the same time I've got jackets an inch or more smaller which still fit well and even more so bigger.

Agree with all the above posters, even more so if you haven't settled on a style that works for you as yet.

Seriously, man. Listen to the others. In a span of 2 years, I've had 30 jackets that were "the one", all of which are long gone. Lol I remember how clear my vision of that perfect leather jacket was when I got here. Just needed some minor info. Basic stuff. Figured I'd be on my way in my dream jacket in no time... Yeah, that really worked out well for me, didn't it.

Sounds like you're a 42 (as in, that's what most makers would recommend) but yeah, your best bet is to go to a mall and try a few leather jackets on. Take a measuring tape and measure the ones you like. Compare one size tag to another.

seres

A-List Customer
Different jacket styles and contracts fit differently, even in the same size. And like ButteMT61 said, tag sizes are useless. For instance, I wear a size 42 Highwayman and a size 46 Bronco A-2, and both made by Aero Leather and both fit very well.

Look on the Thurston Brothers site and pick a style you want, then contact Carrie and ask for fit advice. She really knows best, and can send you a fit jacket to perfect the sizing. Then order that “keeper” from Thurston Bros.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yes, it may take several jackets before you get the right fit. It took me years and many jackets before I worked out my measurements. But that was pre-internet and it took longer and was harder without advice.

It may be worth finding photos of styles and examples of jackets you like the look of and the fit you like. It's important to understand that on this site the primary view (which I share) is that most civilians wear jackets that are too large - by a size or two.

Measurements (not sizes) are the best way to understand fit - pit to pit (across chest under armpits, sleeve length, back length and shoulder width - all critical to get right.

For me - I have a 41 inch chest - I like a pit to pit of around 22.5 to 23 inches. I am tallish (six two) so I tend to prefer a 27 inch back (bottom of collar seam to end of jacket) and 26 inch sleeves (shoulder seam to cuff along outside of sleeve) with 19 inch shoulder width. I have a preference for a slightly longer fit.

A good start may be to see if you have a denim jacket or Carhartt Detroit (a classic utility jacket pattern) that fits fairly trim and measure it.. That could give you a beginning.

hccbo

New in Town
Not sure where you're located, but if you're in the new England area the vanson factory is worth a visit even if you don't end up buying, tons of jackets in many many styles.

Personally, id avoid buying leather on eBay. I do a lot of hobby work in leather and have bought a few jackets as well and NOTHING is as it seems. Unless it is a brand you know and trust the quality will be a total crapshoot. Pleather, grain, etc.

I'd figure out a style, then identify some good brands, then find some local dealers and try on in person. Then start saving up. Or take your chances on the bay as a much for informed and focused buyer.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Below are Andy Falzon's pictures on how to measure a jacket. Although he was banned from at least two forums, he knew his stuff. Find a jacket that fits you the way you want it to and measure pit to pit, shoulder, back length, and sleeve length respectively:

IMG_2228.jpg
IMG_2221.jpg IMG_2222.jpg IMG_2224.jpg IMG_2227.jpg

I wish someone had given me this information years ago that would have saved me from multiple trial and error failures.

Problem is...we are the only ones who know this ;)
Few sellers on eBay do it this way. Most go straight down the arm, and a lot include the collar in the back measurement.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Problem is...we are the only ones who know this ;)
Few sellers on eBay do it this way. Most go straight down the arm, and a lot include the collar in the back measurement.

On occasion I have sent those pictures to eBay sellers and asked them to measure in that way so everyone is on the same page, but you are correct that measurements have a tendency to be all over the board.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I've always lusted over that one leather jacket I can wear for the rest of my life.
Now thats a dodgy question unless you plan on staying the size you are now forever.
Pop over to the "What jacket are you wearing today" and look for my post with my Lucky 7 Seven A2 in it. When I bought that jacket in 1983 it was a 44 and hung off me but not so much I looked ridiculous. Look at it in that picture taken this weekend and you will see it is far from realistically zipping it up. I didn't buy this to last me all my life though I have no plans to sell it yet though do plan to 'try to loose weight so it looks a little less snug ;)
Too many sausage sandwiches I'm afraid :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner