Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help with measurements for a jacket!

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Like others have said, do more research and spend more time on everything. Find jackets that fit you properly and measure those. I find that giving a company my measurements always ends up with a jacket that fits too large for my tastes. Find out exactly what YOU like in terms of style and fit.

k3vdynamite

New in Town
thank you all for the very helpful info. looking at this forum and all of the pictures of jackets makes me realize i'll need to really think about what exactly i want. i feel like i want a perfecto, but outside of going to the city and trying one/buying one at full retail, i just have no clue where to look for one. i live in NJ and could go visit the schott store, but i never have enough free time to make it out to nyc. maybe i'll shelve the whole idea for a while and hopefully figure it all out. and when the time comes to really be sure and pull the trigger, i'll remember this thread and all of the info offered here!

I think a trip into NYC is the way to go!
When you DO have the time, you should check out Schott, Real McCoys, Self Edge, and The Space (Himel Bros).
Then you will have a better idea of what works for you and the offerings available to you.
Good luck on your journey!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Hey, and I know this probably won't help but most of us do not get the right fit even with help for the first couple of jackets. I reckon I bought close to 10 leather jackets before I worked out how sizing worked properly. Again - pre-Internet and no one to guide me. Now I find I can vary the measurements a bit here and there as I know what I am doing, but I will no longer settle for 26 pit to pit when I need 22.5. Or even worse 23 inch shoulders when I need 19-20 inches. By God it looks sloppy when you get these wrong. I can now recite my measurements like a soldier reciting their serial number during interrogation. 27,22.5,26.20.

k3vdynamite

New in Town
Sorry to bump this old ass thread, but I figured it would be better to update than to get into the same stuff again in a new thread. I've decided that I am most interested in a Schott perfecto type MC jacket. I had crappy versions of these as a kid, but I think I'm finally ready to get a nice, forever version that won't be studded/painted! I found a local retailer that carries a handful of these in tag size 42 and Large. Both of these sized jackets fit be well in most regards except for the fact that they were a little tight when zipping and I likely wouldn't have been able to wear a sweatshirt of thick flannel under it.

My question is this: If I can't find a 44 to try on in person, is it a fair bet that this would fit me in a desired fashion? I also see on the Schott website that Large is listed as 42-44. Is it that these, if listed as L, can actually vary that much? Would a 42 stretch AT ALL? The prices on these new jackets are incredible and I hate to pass them up, but I'm really interested in one of these and will buy used if need be. I can't justify an $800 purchase for a piece of outerwear. Not now, probably not ever.

Sorry for the long post, but I know you guys will have my back! Thanks in advance.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Well, as we already said, you need to know the measurements - yours and the jacket's. Only then will you know if a 44 is your size. A 42 and a 44 mean nothing as they vary between brands and even within a brand. An L may fit as a Small in some brands or a Medium in others. I personally wear a small up to an extra large depending on the brand. In other words Don't Go By The Size!!!

Yes, some jackets will stretch - we call it mould to your body - but this depends on how tight is tight. Seriously man, work out your sizes and then you've got a solid base to start on.

Peacoat

Bartender
Sorry to bump this old ass thread, but I figured it would be better to update than to get into the same stuff again in a new thread. I've decided that I am most interested in a Schott perfecto type MC jacket. I had crappy versions of these as a kid, but I think I'm finally ready to get a nice, forever version that won't be studded/painted! I found a local retailer that carries a handful of these in tag size 42 and Large. Both of these sized jackets fit be well in most regards except for the fact that they were a little tight when zipping and I likely wouldn't have been able to wear a sweatshirt of thick flannel under it.

Sorry for the long post, but I know you guys will have my back! Thanks in advance.
Why would you want to wear a sweatshirt under the jacket? Sweatshirts are made of cotton and are notoriously not warm, even though they are thick. If you want warmth under your leather jacket without sacrificing space, wear a wool shirt with a polypropylene long sleeve undershirt, a down or Thinsulate vest that has a good warmth to thickness ratio. A sweatshirt is the last thing you would wear for warmth if you were concerned about the fit of your jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner