Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Portofino - James Bond Cuffs

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Big Man said:
Well, my order for the same style suit that HJ initially posted about is on its way. I'll let you know about it when it comes in.
I can't wait to see and hear all about it.

Orgetorix, do you have some detailed photos of these Bond cuffs?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
what on earth is a james bond cuff?

bk
Magnoli mentions them on his site for his shirt to go along with the Goldfinger suit, but I still don't know exactly what they are. They sort of look like some sort of French cuff hybrid,[huh] though the picture is not so detailed to tell for certain.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
what on earth is a james bond cuff?

bk

I believe Mr C. is wearing one in this photo:

zardoz6.jpg

Hemingway Jones said:
Magnoli mentions them on his site for his shirt to go along with the Goldfinger suit, but I still don't know exactly what they are. They sort of look like some sort of French cuff hybrid,[huh] though the picture is not so detailed to tell for certain.

like a singe layer french cuff with rounded corners? I seem to remember this kind of cuff from that movie . . .

bk

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
The problem is that there's nothing to keep the top, folded-over bit from flapping around and catching on things (except maybe a lot of starch). I considered trying to turn mine into a french-cuff shirt, but ended up just throwing it away. Mine was from P. Diddy's Sean John line of clothing. Bought with a gift certificate, thankfully, so I didn't waste any money.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Orgetorix said:
the Bond cuff, also called a turnback or portofino cuff by various shirtmakers.
I've mostly heard it referred to as a cocktail cuff by shirtmakers.

Jovan

Suspended
I'd like to have that cuff done on a future shirt. Not exactly worried about it catching on a jacket sleeve. All kinds of annoyances come with dressing up anyways, like lining up buttonholes exactly to fasten cuff links, etc. Basically, I'd learn to deal with it.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
But at least once you put your cufflinks in, they stay in. Every time I extended my arms, that damned sleeve would pop out of my jacket's arms and get caught. I suppose a jacket with a higher armhole might have lessened the problem, but those cuffs still aren't worth the hassle. Not for me, anway.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Jovan said:
I'd like to have that cuff done on a future shirt. Not exactly worried about it catching on a jacket sleeve. All kinds of annoyances come with dressing up anyways, like lining up buttonholes exactly to fasten cuff links, etc. Basically, I'd learn to deal with it.
Why? What is it that you like about it? -I'm curious.

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
I've done many shirts with this feature on them and my customers keep coming back for more, so someone likes them. I've never worn them myself, so I'm not speaking from personal experience.

As they relate to Bond, the story goes that they are a smart alternative to French cuffs and that Bond didn't like messing with cufflinks. According to Fleming, Bond was a minimilist and didn't like fussing with unnecessary fasteners.... hence his preference to wear slip-on Chelsea boots as apposed to lacers.

Kind regards,
Indy

Jovan

Suspended
Hemingway Jones said:
Why? What is it that you like about it? -I'm curious.
It looks really smart to me, and has that slightly formal air like double cuffs but the convenience of button cuffs. Hard to explain, I just really like the way they look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925