• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Post-Apocalyptic Films of the 80's

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by flat-top, Jul 2, 2008.

1. flat-top

flat-top My Mail is Forwarded Here

2. Ah the Road Warrior. I still remember seeing the news coverage of the opening in Hollywood. They had wreckage of destroyed vehicles out in front of Mann's Chinese Theater.

Last of the V-8 Interceptors, be a shame to blow it up.
  3. Didn't every 80's post apoc film spring from MM2?
  4. RIOT

RIOT Practically Family

Escape from New York comes to mind
  5. That's a good film!

My dream car-
  6. RIOT

RIOT Practically Family

Blade Runner.. Mad Max 3: Beyond Thunderdome..
  7. flat-top

I've never seen "The Quiet Earth" and now I'm intrigued! Thanks BT!
  8. jake_fink

jake_fink Call Me a Cab

Yeah, Escape from New York.

Is it post-apoclyptic or merely dystopian?

The Quiet Earth was a good choice too.

This is earlier than 80s, but my 9 year old self loved it: Damnation Alley

9. *********************
    I remember something about the desert South West and giant snakes.
  10. Does "The Stand" count?
  11. jake_fink

jake_fink Call Me a Cab

And flesh munching roaches. Fun, eh?
  12. RIOT

RIOT Practically Family

Damnation Alley! (70's flick) I remember coming out of the movie theater with my pop and thinking.. "Where's that bug spray??!"
  13. flat-top

Growing up in The Bronx, I really dug this one:
    Of course you gotta wonder if the Italian filmakers even knew what or where The Bronx was!
  14. Another NZ one-

With big, US Star, John Ratzenberger
    and Bruno Lawrence, from "The Quiet Earth".

Pretty rubbish.

15. RIOT

RIOT Practically Family

Xanadu.. cos after seeing that I felt the world was going to spiral down in apocalyptic chaos, luckily it did not! lol
  16. **********
    Doesn't one of the guys try to hide from them in a car and gets stripped to the bone? Plus I want to say the car is a Pinto, but probably not, just my opion of Pintos. A place where you'd get eaten by flesh eating roaches.
  17. Some good ones I recall:

Testament, starring the excellent actress Jane Alexander. It was I believe a TV movie, but was shown in theatres, too.

Blade Runner -- really well done

The Stand, another TV movie, but I thought a good rendition of my favorite King novel

There was another TV movie done in the mid-80's, which I believe was called The Day After, it was also post-nuclear and had some good scenes, but did not have the emotional impact of Testament.

18. A.R. McVintage

A.R. McVintage Registered User

Blade Runner, while good, isn't post-apocalyptic. It's just set in a world where things have gotten really, really, terrible--not one where mankind has come anywhere close to wiping itself out and there are rogue and violent stragglers trying to survive.
  19. Maguire

Maguire Practically Family

blade runner is considered "cyber punk" dystopia i believe.. i forget the other term used for that type of vision of the future.

I love mel gibson and mad max is definitely the best of the 80s post apocalypse films.

I've seen Bronx Warriors (longest movie ever it seems) and have a box set of Italian post apocalyptic movies. Fred Williamson was in nearly all of them. The New Barbarians is definitely the top one of these for absurd, dumb italian exploitation films.