Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post-Apocalyptic Films of the 80's

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
Salute of the Jugger

MrBern said:
BLOOD OF HEROES-1989

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094764/

Great cast, Rutger Hauer, Joan Chen, Vincent Donofrio.

Teams wander playing a bloody sport w/ a dogskull as the ball. Rutger Hauer is the banned player who jsut might lead them back to the bigleagues in the City.

Low budget but excellent story & cast.

Yep,
I came to this thread to vote for this gem (called Salute of the Jugger in my part of the world). I saw it on late night TV many years ago and loved it. But then I believe that any post apocalyptic future must have Rutger Hauer in there somewhere.

I think as an aging Rugby player, I now appreciate this on another level. I feel Sallow's pain.

This might just be a movie to watch the night before a big sporting final...

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Not '80s and not necessarily post-apocalyptic... but
I'm reminded of "Rollerball" and "Deathrace 2000", both from '75.

Rollerball: "...2018... Corporations are now the leaders of the world, as well as the controllers of the people..."

Sounds familiar but we're 10 years early.

Now I'm reminded of other nightmarish visions of the future;
"Fahrenheit 451", "THX 1138" and "A Clockwork Orange"

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Oh- a crazy Australian one from '88;

Kind of mid-apocalyptic!

"Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em"

"The Third World War has happened. Bombs are dropping everywhere, even Australia. In the ruins that follow, two survivors find a bomb shelter. Only to find that the survivors in there are having a party. What a party! They're all dying so why not have a party. So follows some serious black humour and a movie well worth watching."

B
T

Maguire

Practically Family
MrBern said:
THAT MOVIE HAD IT ALL!
I believe Siskel & Ebert once reviewed it as one ofthe most imitated movies of the `80s. Maybe only StarWars was more influential on that decade.

An yes it was one of my all time favorites.
Tho Thunderdome is a bit of a miss.

At one timed around 2000 or early 2001 a sequel was slated, But 9/11 interfered w/ the developmnt. There is now some talk, but Mel Gibson now feels too old to play the role. He was quoted as saying they would call him FatMax.
he was"too old" to play william wallace too. Harrison ford played a convincing Indiana jones in the latest film, i definitely think Mel should give it a shot, but hopefully not a repeat of thunderdome, which was entertaining but definitely inferior to Road Warrior and the original. We need Vernon Welles back too!

dr greg

One Too Many
well wells

The trouble with Vernon Wells was that he was best at acting without dialogue, once he started talking like in Commando with Arnie....dear o dear,
he was worse than Mike Preston as Pappagallo, which is saying something, but still, MM2 is the one that wrote the book on post apoc films, and probably the best film of the 80's, except for Return of The Living Dead.....!!

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mrs. Walker!!

Distant relative of mine Roger Ebert really likes the whole idea of underground (literally or not) cities, colonies, societies and the like. He gushed over that aspect of Thunderdome. So did I.
How about a pre-'big one' movie from the 80s? The Last Wave. One of my favorite movies.

grey ghost

One of the Regulars
How about Melanie Griffith in "CHERRY 2000"

BegintheBeguine said:
Distant relative of mine Roger Ebert really likes the whole idea of underground (literally or not) cities, colonies, societies and the like. He gushed over that aspect of Thunderdome. So did I.
How about a pre-'big one' movie from the 80s? The Last Wave. One of my favorite movies.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Maguire said:
he was"too old" to play william wallace too. Harrison ford played a convincing Indiana jones in the latest film, i definitely think Mel should give it a shot, but hopefully not a repeat of thunderdome, which was entertaining but definitely inferior to Road Warrior and the original. We need Vernon Welles back too!

OK , Braveheart is off topic cuz its 90s & not post-apocalyptic.
He was still in fine form as a leading man, but the age was wrong cuz the young lady playing his wife was closer to being his daughter. And that was after establishing scenes that showed them in their youth.
But she gave a fine performance, so...

AS for doing a Mad Max sequel...he has SO much money from ThePassionofChrist, I doubt he would ever do another Max movie.

And actually, his film Apocalypto was really enjoyable, sort of a pre-apocalypse film. ;)

Ever seen WEIRD SCIENCE(1985)? Vernon Wells appears in virtually the same costume as WEZ. He even has a few lines!
I really think his performance as WEZ in RoadWarrior led to a spate of movies w/ mohawk villains.
Theres even a reference to it in GREMLINS.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Lucky said:
One of my favorites! "Anyone want a sandwich?"

Now, there is this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072730/ - it's not 80's, but the star had a profound effect on the entire decade. Anyone?

Actually, I believe Boy&HisDog was one of the many examples that HarlanEllison used to successfully sue James Cameron's Terminator(1984).

Now in the credits of Terminators, theres a notice: Acknowledgements to the works of Harlan Ellison.

So he pretty much was able to copyright a genre of sci-fi.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
Don't be modest. I know you can fly a gyrocopter.

You mean youve seen me eat a gyro?
;)
369673380_41e21c8195.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot