Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post-Apocalyptic Films of the 80's

MrBern

I'll Lock Up

Edward

Bartender
flat-top said:
I guess, technically, The Road Warrior isn't really Post Apocalyptic. It seems to be taking place in a futuristic wasteland (where Max is seen driving at the end of the first film). Only in Beyond Thunderdome is "the day after" mentioned. But no matter what the time frame,The Road Warrior really was the template for all the others of the genre to follow.

I love the first one. Second one, not so much.... it's good enough, but from it onwards they had the feeling of being somehow generic to me. Like the ibg budget meant they were able to afford suddenly to make it look like "what the post apocalyptic world is meant to look like" as opposed to being creative and doing their own thing. Somehow felt much less convincing, more of a fantasy epic from there on. Still, 2 was okay.... 3 not so. The tina turner bit was just silly, really, and doesn't bear rewatching. The kids who thought of him as some form of god-man, there to save them, were interesting (not an inconceivable thing either in that sort of society), but the whole thing was just a bit overdone. It just seems somewhat lacking in imagination to me to assume that post apocalyptic social breakdown will automatically mean we'll all start dressing like cybergoth kids....

A.R. McVintage

MrBern said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalyptic_and_post-apocalyptic_fiction

You dont think that the darkened skies & general allusion to the fact that animals are scarce as well as the references to people leaving to live off-world would suggest the 'end of the world' scenario on earth?

The wackypedia definition isn't supporting your position.

To quote myself:

It's just set in a world where things have gotten really, really, terrible--not one where mankind has come anywhere close to wiping itself out and there are rogue and violent stragglers trying to survive.

Maguire

Practically Family
dr greg said:
The trouble with Vernon Wells was that he was best at acting without dialogue, once he started talking like in Commando with Arnie....dear o dear,
he was worse than Mike Preston as Pappagallo, which is saying something, but still, MM2 is the one that wrote the book on post apoc films, and probably the best film of the 80's, except for Return of The Living Dead.....!!
Hey Commando was (until the new rambo) probably the best action movie ever. And Vernon wells was great in the role!

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
A.R. McVintage said:
The wackypedia definition isn't supporting your position.

To quote myself:
t's just set in a world where things have gotten really, really, terrible--not one where mankind has come anywhere close to wiping itself out and there are rogue and violent stragglers trying to survive.

Like I said, you dont think the exodus of healthy people Offworld & the allusions to the scarcity of real animals as well as the perpetual darkness of the sky as indications that the world of Bladerunner is possibly in worse shape than that of MadMax? That one movie is possibly a depiction of the urban while another is the rural or outback setting for the post-apocalypse? A hemisphere apart but possible the same planet in the same timeframe?

A.R. McVintage

MrBern said:
Like I said, you dont think the exodus of healthy people Offworld & the allusions to the scarcity of real animals as well as the perpetual darkness of the sky as indications that the world of Bladerunner is possibly in worse shape than that of MadMax? That one movie is possibly a depiction of the urban while another is the rural or outback setting for the post-apocalypse? A hemisphere apart but possible the same planet in the same timeframe?

Look, if you want to play a fancruft "What if" game, have at it (I might even play along if so inclined), but don't do it under the guise of defending something as post-apocalyptic when it's not.:)

A.R. McVintage

MrBern said:
thats not answering the question, is it?

Yeah, it really is.;)

Your point has boiled down to nothing more than "What if" they both take place in the same world.

If that's the best case for your argument, well, have fun but count me out.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
A.R. McVintage said:
Yeah, it really is.;)

Your point has boiled down to nothing more than "What if" they both take place in the same world.

If that's the best case for your argument, well, have fun.

No, not really, I pointed out the indications in the Bladerunner world.
You havent illuminated your point except to say you disagree w/ the wikipedia.
Both movies were debuted in the early `80s. Both involve former policemen in roles as anti-hero, both take place in a dystopian near future.

We disagree on the specific of the post-apocalypse.

Im glad we all enjoy these movies.

A.R. McVintage

MrBern said:
No, not really, I pointed out the indications in the Bladerunner world.
You havent illuminated your point except to say you disagree w/ the wikipedia.
Both movies were debuted in the early `90s. Both involve former policemen in roles as anti-hero, both take place in a dystopian near future.

We disagree on the specific of the post-apocalypse.

Im glad we all enjoy these movies.

You don't even have a clue as to when the films were released ('79 for Mad Max and '82 for Runner), and you're expecting me to continue to engage in your "What if" game. Okay...

And I haven't simply disagreed with Wikipedia. I'm posting this for a third time and I hope this time you'll be able to see the difference between the two worlds:

It's [Blade Runner's] just set in a world where things have gotten really, really, terrible--not one [Mad Max] where mankind has come anywhere close to wiping itself out and there are rogue and violent stragglers trying to survive.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
A.R. McVintage said:
You don't even have a clue as to when the films were released ('79 for Mad Max and '82 for Runner), and you're expecting me to continue to engage in your "What if" game. Okay...:rolleyes:

And my point has been way more than disagreeing with Wikipedia. Read this for a third time and I think you can see the difference between the two worlds:

A clue?
We were talking about Road Warrior as this is an 80s thread.
Road Warrior or Mad Max 2 was released in 1981.

I think your tone is offensive & condescending & maybe you should get some fresh air. Go roll your eyes at the fireworks.

A.R. McVintage

MrBern said:
A clue?
We were talking about Road Warrior as this is an 80s thread.
Road Warrior or Mad Max 2 was released in 1981.

I think your tone is offensive & condescending & maybe you should get some fresh air. Go roll your eyes at the fireworks.

You're the one who claimed they came out in the early nineties. A very eye-rollable error, especially from someone trying hard to prove a point. Mistakes that blatant and having a defendable point don't go together.

As for the rest, obviously you want to be offended or be combative or pretend others aren't answering you while ignoring things set right before your face, and I'm not going to further engage with someone who wants their cake and a fork to shovel it down with, too.

Good afternoon and apologies to the OP for the off-track nature of these last few posts.

Feraud

Bartender
Blade Runner fits the dictionary definition of an apocalypse.
In the film the humans who can afford it are leaving Earth due to environmental issues.
Also, the movie did not fully explore this plotline but animals are all but extinct. This is why the Tyrell Corp. makes animal replicants like the owl.

It reads like an apocalyptic situation to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21