Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

g.durand

One Too Many
...and then I received this yesterday from Lounge member bond

Vintage Whippet:
Whippet1_zpse2003377.jpg

Whippet6_zps587e8f30.jpg

Whippet2_zpsd10922b4.jpg

Whippet3_zps63a1b743.jpg

Whippet5_zps4b6e51e3.jpg

Whippet4_zpsf960f331.jpg

And on my noggin:
Whippet7_zps8eb121fe.jpg

seabass

Call Me a Cab
g.durand
Fantastic double play !
great hats & rare finds.
say was that you i saw 2 fridays ago in SF at Church & 24th.
I was on a Vintage Street car instructing operation & i had to stop & comment on a Fedora ?
Oh well Sharp Hats !
che

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Brown and Fuzzy Feineman Bros.

P1060204.JPG
P1060197.JPG
P1060203.JPG
Screen%2520Shot%25202013-03-23%2520at%25202.19.29%2520PM.png

Lots of tiny moth munches but active grazers so no large areas. A little off on the dating.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
rlk
super nice fuzzy find & a steal too !
Into the freezer for a few days to get those grazers.
All my Vintage finds hit Frozen Isolation.
with your collection, i bet you have a seperate freezer just for this purpose.
Am i right ?

seabass

Call Me a Cab
rlk-a beauty!

seabass--it wasn't me, but I wasn't that far away at the time. My double, maybe?;)
Ha double he was.:cool:
I can spot vintage from afar & i always acknowledge, I cant wear my lids on the job but the fedora wearer always gets my thumbs up !
I see a lot in my daily routine instructing operation of Vintage Streetcars in SF!

Robert, Great find + deal! Really enjoy seeing the older ones!

g.durand, Super Stetson Duo!

OCMH, Nice find with the Patey Hunting Bowler!

Last edited:

g.durand

One Too Many
mayserwegener-Thank you. I've been admiring your great collection for awhile, now.

seabass--I'll keep my eye out for those vintage streetcars. I cross Market Street at least twice a day during the work week.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
OCMH, that derby looks to be in excellent shape! Nice one!

G.durand, very nice double Stetson score! What a day for ya!

Robert, I really like that one! What a steal!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Early 20s (?) Stetson Select Quality

This hat was located in the attic of the Hughes mansion, built in 1905, in Florala, Alabama. A picture of the Mansion can be seen below.

hughesmansion.jpg

This hat has some serious mothing issues, and looks like it was crushed during it's life. There are several holes through the felt, the reed has come apart, as well as the sweatband being very dry.

The hat was sold as a size 7, but looking closer to the auction photo of the size sticker, I noticed what appeared to be another number by the 7... and I bought it on a hunch. Turns out my hunch was right, and this Stetson is a size 7 3/8. I believe this to be early 20's, and maybe older (?), as it does have the vvvvvv stitching, and the older duplicate tag. The blocking info tag, as you can see, has faded severly, but there are some pencil markings which I can't make out, as they are covered partially by the reed backing.

The price sticker on the inside of the sweatband looks to say "Profit $4.00".

s110.jpg

s212.jpg

s310.jpg

s410.jpg

03611.jpg

On my noggin w/ side dents. This hat really needs some heavy work to get it back into wearable shape, so it may have to go make a trip to a hatter some day.

03310.jpg

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Them fedoras are a beaut Mr. Durand.

Thats a diamond in the rough Justin, that looks like it'll clean up nice.

I almost sent you a link to those velours Mayser, but I figured you were already well appraised of the situation.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Spectacular finds Gentlemen, Robert, what a steal, sharp hat. Justin, wow, need a bit restauration but then it will be a beauty. g-durand, both hats are great looks like a happy day for you. Offcourse, very nice the new Melone!

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Was doing a bit more research on where my Stetson was from, and if I am correct, it may have belonged to James Thomas Hughes (Tom). The owner of the Mansion. James Thomas Hughes, son of James Edwin Hughes (whom is referred to as the father of Florla). Tom was the principal stock holder for the Florla Saw Mill Co. and was also the president of Florla's first National bank! I will be posting this info in the 'Hats w/ History' in the next week or so, if I am able to locate a picture of Tom, if not, after I try to make the hat look a bit wee better.

Monte

A-List Customer
Splintercellsz, Cool story on a truly old hat. Looking forward to how your hat will look if you decide to restore it. Good luck with finding pics on the owner.

Was doing a bit more research on where my Stetson was from, and if I am correct, it may have belonged to James Thomas Hughes (Tom). The owner of the Mansion. James Thomas Hughes, son of James Edwin Hughes (whom is referred to as the father of Florla). Tom was the principal stock holder for the Florla Saw Mill Co. and was also the president of Florla's first National bank! I will be posting this info in the 'Hats w/ History' in the next week or so, if I am able to locate a picture of Tom, if not, after I try to make the hat look a bit wee better.

Great find, GREAT project! Very cool, Justin. I'll bet if you have a local historian, there will be more to the story than you imagined.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR