Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Ok, finally got a chance to take some pics in good light.

Picture32.jpg
Picture33.jpg

Let's cut to the chase. This is a great hat. I have very little experience with the newer, higher quality Stetsons. I've handled a Premiere Whippet and some Royal Quality items like Whippets and Strats. If this is the Royal Deluxe Quality, I now really want to handle Excellent. This is as close to vintage I've felt, though I've no experience with some of the custom hatters. It has a better hand than the FEPSA beaver felt I got from D'Aquino earlier this year.

The quality and finish of the felt is fantastic. It has a smooth, even appearance and a great feel. I see no flaws (thank you Mr. DelMonico). I have zero problems with the quality of materials or workmanship. Yeah, I'd like it if they really sewed on the ribbons, too. But this doesn't look too bad. I posted the photo above yesterday precisely because I think the workmanship and stitching on the binding is great. Very nice, high quality sweatband. What you see above is a dry crease - I have not yet touched this with steam (and I haven't really decided on the crease). It shapes perfectly, without any steam or moisture - and holds the crease.

The light gray color is just what I was looking for, as well. I'm glad they're making this color - even if it took them a while to make it. It really has an old school feel to it. I love the dimensions and look of this thing. I'll announce now I'll likely eat my words and at some point order something else, despite my frustration with this transaction. I'm ultimately thrilled with the result.

Picture31.jpg

Brim up, it even has a classic, 1920s look to it. This is a hat, my friends. A very good one.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
After a lot of steam and back-brushing (the whole time I was brushing against the nap I felt like it was about to hiss and scratch me :)) i think I have lesseed the effect of the line around the crown from the previous bash.

11a17c03397128ffd5cb22614a4b188f.jpg
4dacf095efb510a276778583cfc3fa8b.jpg
603630e0528fc3b7349276b6bf2309e8.jpg

Thanks for the tip, mayser. Going to work on it a little more later.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Frunobulax,
Would you please tell me what hat model very light gray Stetson from Delmonico that is? Is it their new Stetsonian?
(I am afraid that I cannot read what it says on the hatbox, and the name of the hat cannot be seen in the photograph of the hat interior.)

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Frunobulax,
Would you please tell me what hat model very light gray Stetson from Delmonico that is? Is it their new Stetsonian?
(I am afraid that I cannot read what it says on the hatbox, and the name of the hat cannot be seen in the photograph of the hat interior.)

Same question here.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Well, the last time I grew a beard it came in way whiter than the previous time...good reason to keep shaving, as I am one that tires of facial hair quickly anyway.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Another box was on my doorstep yesterday, not just my Lembert. This one was one of those situations where I wasn't really looking to buy 3 velour stingies at a shot but, well, someone made me an offer I just couldn't refuse.

347846d1e0cad68998c0e360baed2967.jpg

Brown Knox, sixties taggage. Stiffest felt of the three, and even though all are 7 3/8", this one fits the best. (I'm a 7 5/16") Felt quality is like my Bianchi (Pollack) velour after I pulled out some of the shellac with an alcohol bath.

701559a046d7cef39bbf29ac0d8a4452.jpg
e6d0f28f73edddedd4f553e3bbb5d3e5.jpg
599e6ce417158d8983679c2aae804e54.jpg
c1f5c700da16b56a221f4180e428eb9b.jpg

Next is a grey Stetson Sovereign. Interesting that it has no liner tip protector. Felt on this one is nice and soft, no excess stiffener in the brim. Feels similar to my Czech Peschel in quality.

e73024274cbfa61d4e4ee18b5c747de4.jpg
a8d8e58e7a67c368089c9192c6fc24a8.jpg
20cbebf8f93c7348e3ba6a46eb2851fd.jpg
8650880c3ae33c2717c995968a637d56.jpg

Last shot is a stamp on the back of the sweat. No idea what it is. Any insight would be appreciated.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Thanks very much, Frunobulax. I didn't know that it was possible to obtain that color of Stetsonian from Delmonico or I would already have ordered one.

Most people estimate my age as being about 15 years younger, without my white beard and mustache in the summer, than they do, with them, in the winter.

Last edited:

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Last is an Adam in black. This one has the shortest nap, and also the nicest hand of the three. Only thing I didn't like about this oe was a thick plastic liner tip cover that crinkled loudly. It had a small tear in it, so I saw no reason to leave it in. Much nicer to wear without it.

a0b7418314740ff663b5693c9864926b.jpg
15df38dfdbb7ea8fd31780935ea9543e.jpg
79546c919d83f0c10627529f0f2fa177.jpg

Wore this one last night to my town's holiday lights parade. Repelled water as stated when the rain started to fall.

Thanks, DOGMAN, for contributing to my deliquency with your deals. ;)

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 39910 View attachment 39911

Let's cut to the chase. This is a great hat. I have very little experience with the newer, higher quality Stetsons. I've handled a Premiere Whippet and some Royal Quality items like Whippets and Strats. If this is the Royal Deluxe Quality, I now really want to handle Excellent. This is as close to vintage I've felt, though I've no experience with some of the custom hatters. It has a better hand than the FEPSA beaver felt I got from D'Aquino earlier this year.

The quality and finish of the felt is fantastic. It has a smooth, even appearance and a great feel. I see no flaws (thank you Mr. DelMonico). I have zero problems with the quality of materials or workmanship. Yeah, I'd like it if they really sewed on the ribbons, too. But this doesn't look too bad. I posted the photo above yesterday precisely because I think the workmanship and stitching on the binding is great. Very nice, high quality sweatband. What you see above is a dry crease - I have not yet touched this with steam (and I haven't really decided on the crease). It shapes perfectly, without any steam or moisture - and holds the crease.

The light gray color is just what I was looking for, as well. I'm glad they're making this color - even if it took them a while to make it. It really has an old school feel to it. I love the dimensions and look of this thing. I'll announce now I'll likely eat my words and at some point order something else, despite my frustration with this transaction. I'm ultimately thrilled with the result.

View attachment 39913

Brim up, it even has a classic, 1920s look to it. This is a hat, my friends. A very good one.
Sounds like it was worth waiting for... color is superb.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Thanks!
Love the way it feels on my head. I believe this is the only underwelt brim I have. It makes more of a difference in the hat than I would have thought, especially for such a minor detail.

Thanks very much, Frunobulax. I didn't know that it was possible to obtain that color of Stetsonian from Delmonico or I would already have ordered one.

Most people estimate my age as being about 15 years younger, without my white beard and mustache in the summer, than they do, with them, in the winter.

You have to special order this color and there can be a bit of a wait...

Kirk H.

One Too Many

View attachment 39910 View attachment 39911

View attachment 39913

Jim, that hat looks great on you! I am glad that it was worth the wait. Just out of curiosity what bash did you put in..center dent, tear drop, Diamond?

Kirk

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
You have to special order this color and there can be a bit of a wait...
No big deal. I wouldn't really consider wearing a near-white hat until the springtime, anyway. Just the thought of it possibly blowing off and disappearing in the snow is too horrifying. These new
Stetsonians don't have wind trolleys, do they?

Jim, that hat looks great on you! I am glad that it was worth the wait. Just out of curiosity what bash did you put in..center dent, tear drop, Diamond?

Kirk

When you asked this question, it had a C-crown (pix above). Right now, it has a center dent (WHAYWT thread). It hasn't yet decided what it wants. I'm still working with it.

No big deal. I wouldn't really consider wearing a near-white hat until the springtime, anyway. Just the thought of it possibly blowing off and disappearing in the snow is too horrifying. These new Stetsonians don't have wind trolleys, do they?

It's not nearly as white as the shots. This felt is very difficult to photograph and most of my photos have been under artificial light. The color is closest to the photo on the previous page of the felt and the brim binding. When I get back home tonight, I'll do a side-by-side with an older gray 3X I have. This is definitely lighter than that, and may be close to the old "Dove Gray" Stetson used to carry.

And yeah, they should put wind trolleys on these things. It has everything else, that would put this over the top.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner