Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
My latest hat.

Specs:
Quality: 100% Beaver
Color: Navy Blue
Crown Height: 5 1/2 inches
Crown Ribbon: 5/8 inch, Navy Blue, 1920's Vintage
Brim Width: 3 1/8 inch (without under welt); 2 3/4 inch (after under welt)

NavyHat-0655.jpg

NavyHat-0657.jpg

NavyHat-0657.jpg

NavyHat-0658.jpg

NavyHat-0660.jpg

NavyHat-0666.jpg

NavyHat-0662.jpg

NavyHat-0663.jpg

This hat is completely hand made by me. The vent holes I punched each one by hand using a leather punch. I invented my own process for doing under welts because I don't have appropriate flanges to assist in folding over the felt. The flange on the hat is shallow because the only flange I have is a shallow cup. The fit is awesome, I worked the hat over early on to ensure it would be a perfect fit and it fits like a glove.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Very impressive!
Nice look, great color. Yes, very impressive!
Awesome and love the nice look of it. I like my penmans raiders in beaver but the finish on it is almost indistinguishable from rabbit. Now my AB, that's another story. So when I see finishes like this in 100% beaver I am wowed.
I like like the color.

I appreciate the kind words. The finish on this hat feels super nice. It was pounced with 3 different grits of sand paper and I finished off by going through a process called Luring which is basically rubbing of oil. The grits of sand paper were 240, 320, and 600. Oh, I also set in on fire to burn off some strands of fur.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
I appreciate the kind words.
Those aren't just "kind words", they're words of admiration not just for what you produced but that you've taken on a project that I would find quite daunting, took risks, invented your own process to overcome a lack of tools, etc.

So, when are you hanging out your shingle. :)

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Those aren't just "kind words", they're words of admiration not just for what you produced but that you've taken on a project that I would find quite daunting, took risks, invented your own process to overcome a lack of tools, etc.

So, when are you hanging out your shingle. :)

Thank you very much. I owe a lot of my passion and learning to the lounge. I have learned a lot from the members, so I am humbled by your response. JW of JW Hats has also shared much of his knowledge with me. Cane Rod Maker has also provided some mentoring as well. Still very much a student of making hats so for the time it will be as I can find time between work and family time.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
My latest hat.

Specs:

View attachment 58726
View attachment 58727
View attachment 58727
View attachment 58728
View attachment 58729
View attachment 58732
View attachment 58730
View attachment 58731

This hat is completely hand made by me. The vent holes I punched each one by hand using a leather punch. I invented my own process for doing under welts because I don't have appropriate flanges to assist in folding over the felt. The flange on the hat is shallow because the only flange I have is a shallow cup. The fit is awesome, I worked the hat over early on to ensure it would be a perfect fit and it fits like a glove.

Kevin that Baby is SWEET !!!! WOW !!!

Bigger Don

Practically Family
After seeing @ChicagoWayVito's new hat, I humbly present some shots of my e Gus Miller...

First, a toast to the new arrival...
Toasting the First Gus Miller.jpg

That shot probably best captures the colors. I'll try more in natural light tomorrow.

And the shark's gill that cost me another few waiting days. Well worth it!
Shark Gill.jpg

Where was it created?
Liner.jpg

..and who made it for whom?
Made for Me.jpg

My latest hat.

Specs:

View attachment 58726
View attachment 58727
View attachment 58727
View attachment 58728
View attachment 58729
View attachment 58732
View attachment 58730
View attachment 58731

Kevin, nice work, buddy.
Looks great!

I heard somewhere if you have three of something, you have started a collection. Well, my third 1950s back bow hat arrived today! Took a chance on a poorly described/bad photo ebay listing, and am quite pleased. A nice medium grey Lee back bow. This model is called a "SmartLee". I found a price tag of $10.95 and a possible 1958 date under the sweat. A full photo essay in the Lee Hat thread.
29873409374_e1b8ccdfdd_z.jpg

Crown came in a little crushed, needs some steam. I know these Lee hats came pre-blocked from the factory, there is evidence of this waiting to be brought back to life.
29873411364_9d4afe74f5_z.jpg

RJR

My latest hat.

Specs:

View attachment 58726
View attachment 58727
View attachment 58727
View attachment 58728
View attachment 58729
View attachment 58732
View attachment 58730
View attachment 58731

Great looking,nice job.

Dlaniger

My Mail is Forwarded Here
After seeing @ChicagoWayVito's new hat, I humbly present some shots of my e Gus Miller...

First, a toast to the new arrival...
View attachment 58745
That shot probably best captures the colors. I'll try more in natural light tomorrow.

And the shark's gill that cost me another few waiting days. Well worth it!
View attachment 58746
Where was it created?
View attachment 58747
..and who made it for whom?
View attachment 58748

Great hat and a great scotch! The good life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21