Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
The $50 Mallory Dallas. Been working on this thing for a few days. Saying it was dirty doesn't quite describe it. The lining was about as dirty as any I've encountered, about the same color as the sweat bow. The dates on it couldn't be seen. I cleaned it as well as i could w/o a complete removal.The loop on the wind trolley button was rotten and just disintegrated. Still gotta fix that. The felt is incredible and the sweat is in good shape. Even has my initials, though not in the correct order.
View attachment 90178 View attachment 90179 View attachment 90180 View attachment 90181 View attachment 90182 View attachment 90183
awesome ...
great save Greg ... nothing quite like those old Mallory hats

RJR

The $50 Mallory Dallas. Been working on this thing for a few days. Saying it was dirty doesn't quite describe it. The lining was about as dirty as any I've encountered, about the same color as the sweat bow. The dates on it couldn't be seen. I cleaned it as well as i could w/o a complete removal.The loop on the wind trolley button was rotten and just disintegrated. Still gotta fix that. The felt is incredible and the sweat is in good shape. Even has my initials, though not in the correct order.
View attachment 90178 View attachment 90179 View attachment 90180 View attachment 90181 View attachment 90182 View attachment 90183
Nice save!

Fantastic, Greg. I love the color combo on that one. Great save.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
That is a great hat! The ribbon really makes it something special. That ribbon is so much more interesting than the typical black. The proportions of the hat also look good.

I'd be tempted to order one, but I've had such poor luck with hats sized XL fitting my 7 5/8 melon.

I'm envious.
As Rodolfo said, the hat is one we worked out using WhatsApp while MrsFed and I were in Cuenca at the Homero Ortega factory. We took pictures and worked out the hat body, crease, ribbon width, color, highlight and size. It's basically a custom Panama over the internet/phone. I had a similar one made up for me, but with a less wide ribbon in navy with no highlight on mine. A good FL member bought that one as I had it made to fit me at 59.5 cm and that's his size too. We went with 60.5 cm on Rodolfo's hat just to make sure it wasn't too small. We basically ordered 4 custom Cuenca hats one day and picked them up the next, then hand carried them home in our carry-on luggage. We were lucky we didn't get charged any customs fees even though we claimed them upon re-entry to the states in Miami.

i-FGMvdv4-M.jpg

I wore my Penneys Marathon to church today. I call it my faux-Whippet as it looks a little like @Michael A 's brown Whippet.

i-7Pdfpfs-M.jpg
i-T5Ldwzm-M.jpg

i-k5p2zkQ-M.jpg
i-DT8kvVT-M.jpg

i-bhGVXcQ-L.jpg

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
moon described this hat a few posts up, but now it is MINE! bwaa-hahahahahahahahaaaaaa . . . hehehe

Dobbs Game Bird. Uber soft. Sexy, even.

20171022_230946_553x800.jpg

20171022_230933_553x800.jpg

20171022_230941_531x800.jpg

The proportions are perfect for my head.

I have been looking for the right 2 1/4" brimmed hat ever since I first saw Kilo November's avatar picture years ago, and I finally found it.

I may replace the ribbon with a more traditional grosgrain.

40Cal

One Too Many
Looks real nice, Greg. What did you clean the liner with? Came out great!

As Rodolfo said, the hat is one we worked out using WhatsApp while MrsFed and I were in Cuenca at the Homero Ortega factory. We took pictures and worked out the hat body, crease, ribbon width, color, highlight and size. It's basically a custom Panama over the internet/phone. I had a similar one made up for me, but with a less wide ribbon in navy with no highlight on mine. A good FL member bought that one as I had it made to fit me at 59.5 cm and that's his size too. We went with 60.5 cm on Rodolfo's hat just to make sure it wasn't too small. We basically ordered 4 custom Cuenca hats one day and picked them up the next, then hand carried them home in our carry-on luggage. We were lucky we didn't get charged any customs fees even though we claimed them upon re-entry to the states in Miami.

i-FGMvdv4-M.jpg

I wore my Penneys Marathon to church today. I call it my faux-Whippet as it looks a little like @Michael A 's brown Whippet.

i-7Pdfpfs-M.jpg
i-T5Ldwzm-M.jpg

i-k5p2zkQ-M.jpg
i-DT8kvVT-M.jpg

i-bhGVXcQ-L.jpg

Nice Marathon, it does have a Whippet-esque character.

moon described this hat a few posts up, but now it is MINE! bwaa-hahahahahahahahaaaaaa . . . hehehe

View attachment 90285

View attachment 90286
View attachment 90287

I have been looking for the right 2 1/4" brimmed hat ever since I first saw Kilo November's avatar picture years ago, and I finally found it.

The crown on that one is really something. Good on ya!

Great recovery job.....you have banked a ton of goodwill with the hat gods.

Thank you, let's hope so. I need them looking down on me for more $50 hats.

Nice, would look great with a pair of tan deer boots that I have.
Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thanks, Rodolfo. Send the boots, I'll see if they match.

That cleaned up nicely. Really great looking hat.
Michael

Thanks, Michael.

Nice save Greg! You have a wearable hat now.

Thank you, Red.

awesome ...
great save Greg ... nothing quite like those old Mallory hats

Thanks, Ant. First I've held and I have to agree

Nice save!

Fantastic, Greg. I love the color combo on that one. Great save.
Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Thank you, Jim. The color combo is what caught my eye. I love some contrast in hats.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
The crown on that one is really something. Good on ya!

Yes, tall with no taper with a variety of top creases. Right now it's got a mushy teardrop/diamond with a diagonal rift running through it - you can see it in the pictures, and the hat sort of did it itself while I was poking at it. I'm not a fan of perfect symmetry, so I love this one.

Looks real nice, Greg. What did you clean the liner with? Came out great!

Hey, Robert, thank you. I use a mix of distilled water and 3% hydrogen peroxide. Roughly a 50/50 mix that I carefully apply with cotton balls, just enough to dampen the surface of the liner and set the hat in full sun. It bleaches out the stain. May require several applications, that Mallory sure did. I've used it for minor foxing with great results. The Mallory may have come cleaner with more applications but I grew wary of over handling the hat. Some stains seem to be more stubborn than others.

Don't get the felt wet with this solution and set it in the sun, it can bleach out a felt color. Don't ask me how I know this.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 90285

View attachment 90286
View attachment 90287

Look great on you

Glad you dig it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner