Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RomanImperator

One of the Regulars
I may replace the ribbon with a more traditional grosgrain.

I personally would not do this. The felt band is what makes this hat so unique. I have several advertisements for the Dobbs Gamebird and Field and Stream. The hat was advertised as a rugged, outdoorsy sport hat. Not a hat you would wear in town or on business, but a hat to shoot game or to fish in. One of my ads boasts the felt band as one of the "final touches of masculine adornment."

However it's your hat and you do with it as you please.

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, let's hope so. I need them looking down on me for more $50 hats.

Thanks, Rodolfo. Send the boots, I'll see if they match.

Thanks, Michael.

Thank you, Red.

Thanks, Ant. First I've held and I have to agree

Thank you, Jim. The color combo is what caught my eye. I love some contrast in hats.
Good answer !! Ja ja ja

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I personally would not do this. The felt band is what makes this hat so unique. I have several advertisements for the Dobbs Gamebird and Field and Stream. The hat was advertised as a rugged, outdoorsy sport hat. Not a hat you would wear in town or on business, but a hat to shoot game or to fish in. One of my ads boasts the felt band as one of the "final touches of masculine adornment."

While I agree with you, over the years Game Birds did come with a grosgrain ribbon. Some ads depict it. John (@moehawk) and I think Matt (@mmbarnes) have examples.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
I just received a military Akubra slouch hat from David Morgan, but instead of the expected military 7-pleat puggaree it came with what looks like a pale green commercial puggaree.

What gives?

(By the way, the box they shipped it in was badly crushed. Miraculously the hat survived unscathed but I'm leery of ordering from them again).

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
Wow Jim

I’ll be damned if it doesn’t look exactly like my Royal Vita Felt

be861e3febbca9394d4a51ac8010bd98.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure as heck does.

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up

While I agree with you, over the years Game Birds did come with a grosgrain ribbon. Some ads depict it. John (@moehawk) and I think Matt (@mmbarnes) have examples.

Yeah... grosgrain on mine. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/what-hat-are-you-wearing-today.19520/page-6260#post-2207274

RomanImperator

One of the Regulars
Indeed some models did feature a grosgrain ribbon. However that leads me to believe the earlier felt bands are just even more of a rarity. All the more reason to preserve the historical integrity of the hat.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
Indeed some models did feature a grosgrain ribbon. However that leads me to believe the earlier felt bands are just even more of a rarity. All the more reason to preserve the historical integrity of the hat.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
I agree. I wouldn't mess with the history unless something was terribly wrong with the original. But that's just me. I reckon' that folks should do what makes 'em happy hat owners.

Last edited:

40Cal

One Too Many
Hey, Robert, thank you. I use a mix of distilled water and 3% hydrogen peroxide. Roughly a 50/50 mix that I carefully apply with cotton balls, just enough to dampen the surface of the liner and set the hat in full sun. It bleaches out the stain. May require several applications, that Mallory sure did. I've used it for minor foxing with great results. The Mallory may have come cleaner with more applications but I grew wary of over handling the hat. Some stains seem to be more stubborn than others.

Don't get the felt wet with this solution and set it in the sun, it can bleach out a felt color. Don't ask me how I know this.
Thank you, Greg! I've got a couple hats that look great on the outside but the liners are really stained. Naptha bath didn't really do much. I think I'll try your formula see what happens.

Stetson 1900 Exposition Medal longhair finish. Monochrome silver gray and black but with purple notes in the logo print, piping on the silk liner and the sweatband bow. Condition is remarkable. I bought this expecting it to be too small but it is a generous 6 7/8 and large enough for me to wear. I will post additional photos once its vacuumed and steamed and brushed.

expo1900_1.jpg

expo1900_2.jpg

expo1900_3.jpg

expo1900_4.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Stetson 1900 Exposition Medal longhair finish. Monochrome silver gray and black but with purple notes in the logo print, piping on the silk liner and the sweatband bow. Condition is remarkable. I bought this expecting it to be too small but it is a generous 6 7/8 and large enough for me to wear. I will post additional photos once its vacuumed and steamed and brushed.

expo1900_1.jpg

expo1900_2.jpg

expo1900_3.jpg

expo1900_4.jpg
I just love this hat so much

you and Justin have really given me the pre 30s hat bug for the past couple months ... and my luck has been trash

I've been able to track down a few but for one reason or another the deals have just not been able to go through

so I live vicariously through these photos for now ... thank you for sharing this one ... it is remarkable

I just love this hat so much

you and Justin have really given me the pre 30s hat bug for the past couple months ... and my luck has been trash

I've been able to track down a few but for one reason or another the deals have just not been able to go through

so I live vicariously through these photos for now ... thank you for sharing this one ... it is remarkable

Me too, and it gives me hope there's something out there for me to find.

But Justin's mad skilz are really p*****g me off! Damned whippersnapper out there pulling the pre-WWII felt and showing them off here.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Me too, and it gives me hope there's something out there for me to find.

But Justin's mad skilz are really p*****g me off! Damned whippersnapper out there pulling the pre-WWII felt and showing them off here.

I have lead to a guy who has some stuff in our size ... but after about 3 days of conversations and him sending me photos and answering questions.... he even made a video for me so I could see the hat move in real time ... we finally started discussing prices ...
right when I was about to pull the trigger this guy pulled the rug out from under me and decided he was not selling this particular hat any longer .... whaaaaaat???!!!

I could give you the lead via PM if you want to contact him to see what he willing to part with ... he has some really nice pieces for sale

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I have lead to a guy who has some stuff in our size ... but after about 3 days of conversations and him sending me photos and answering questions.... he even made a video for me so I could see the hat move in real time ... we finally started discussing prices ...
right when I was about to pull the trigger this guy pulled the rug out from under me and decided he was not selling this particular hat any longer .... whaaaaaat???!!!

I could give you the lead via PM if you want to contact him to see what he willing to part with ... he has some really nice pieces for sale
That sucks but maybe he thought you were too "gruff"...?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran