Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

40Cal

One Too Many
The unfinished (frayed) back of the bow was also a signature feature that Cavanaugh (exclusively?) used well beyond the time when other manufacturers stopped it.
The frayed ribbon, and the style of ribbon, was what first made me think it was a Cavanagh. I could see it in the sellers EBay pictures. Here's a picture of my late 1930's Cavanagh on top of the Mystery hat for bow comparison:
IMG_4921.jpg

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
I just checked my Pimbell, which I am 95% certain is a Cavanagh product, and it has no factory stickers other than two with different sizes on them (7 1/4, 7 3/8), probably an indicator from the edge felting department of what the finished hat had to be blocked to. So, sorry, no help there.
For all t's Cavanacity, however, it has no fray to the bow.

I just checked my Pimbell, which I am 95% certain is a Cavanagh product, and it has no factory stickers other than two with different sizes on them (7 1/4, 7 3/8), probably an indicator from the edge felting department of what the finished hat had to be blocked to. So, sorry, no help there.

When I asked the ribbon treatments on all my Cavanaghs if they were special, they all responded, "I'm a frayed Knot!"

Sorry, Greg... rough day!

40Cal

One Too Many
Thanks Moe. It may be the case with this hat that it was made for Wanamaker by Cavanagh but has no Cavanagh signature on it. Like your Pimbell.

Not a new hat to me, but here is the Private label Cav. I picked up inadvertently about three or four years ago. I was actually just interested in the "Levine Hats" box, (for my pal, Bruce Levine) but imagine my complete delight when I opened it up and found this... IN MY SIZE!!!

My theory is that Cavanagh had two qualities of private label, and this one was a second quality, thus the attempted hiding of the embossed Cavanagh name on the sweatband. The one you found from Wannamaker was most likely NOT a second, and was manufactured to the store's specs. Just my guess.
DSC03128.jpg DSC03132.jpg

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Not a new hat to me, but here is the Private label Cav. I picked up inadvertently about three or four years ago. I was actually just interested in the "Levine Hats" box, (for my pal, Bruce Levine) but imagine my complete delight when I opened it up and found this... IN MY SIZE!!!

My theory is that Cavanagh had two qualities of private label, and this one was a second quality, thus the attempted hiding of the embossed Cavanagh name on the sweatband. The one you found from Wannamaker was most likely NOT a second, and was manufactured to the store's specs. Just my guess.
View attachment 109641 View attachment 109642
That reminds me of a hat I saw somewhere online where you could clearly see a Dobbs logo underneath a Penney's Towncraft stamp on the sweat. Maybe that one was meant to be a Cav but just missed the final inspection for something or another.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner