Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars
My new homburg Lock & Co for Brooks Brothers

s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600.jpg

I have very few green hats in my collection. It's just a difficult colour for me. This one I could not pass up. Borsalino in green (can't make out the name on the label properly for its Italian name). Lovely proportions and nice ribbon. Overwelt brim at 5,5cm and crown 10 cm at the pinch. The shop it came from still exists in The Hague. The felt is lovely on this one; not exactly a longhair but not standard. It does have corrugated cardboard in front which is unusual for European market Borsalinos.

borsalino-verdi_02-jpg.110180
borsalino-verdi_01-jpg.110181
borsalino-verdi_03-jpg.110182
borsalino-verdi_04-jpg.110183
borsalino-verdi_05-jpg.110184
borsalino-verdi_06-jpg.110185
borsalino-verdi_07-jpg.110186
borsalino-verdi_08-jpg.110187
borsalino-verdi_09-jpg.110189
borsalino-verdi_10-jpg.110190

This one is an interesting new piece. Biké Clipper. Biké is a hatter from Märsta, Sweden and that's about all I can tell you. The label inside the hat is in swedish, which suggests it was made there. However the size tag is very similar to the ones used by Borsalino (just a different colour). Size 60 with a bound brim at 5,5cm and the crown 10.5cm at the pinch. The liner is what sold it to me, even though it's not my size by a mile.

bike_02.jpg
bike_01.jpg
bike_03.jpg
bike_04.jpg
bike_05.jpg
bike_06.jpg
bike_07.jpg
bike_08.jpg
bike_09.jpg
bike_11.jpg

My first Stetson Excellent. I’m at work and just opened the box. I’ll post more photos later.

9b4996b134c454e4f17eae7ef9b1e65b.jpg

009630acdb7a921a5be335145f5ada00.jpg

cb8e929b5f70c307b3e5a1ed5cb2f9ac.jpg

9a6c90f5e3621dcc63d1921cfbc8e13e.jpg

First impression: nice, but still no comparison to vintage. Kind of bittersweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice! Yes, you cant compare to vintage, not even in the same ball park. The best is to compare it with other modern hats (Stetsons). And this one stands up well in this Excellent level.

Nice! Yes, you cant compare to vintage, not even in the same ball park. The best is to compare it with other modern hats (Stetsons). And this one stands up well in this Excellent level.

It’s just frustrating at my size to find so little in the vintage market. I was hoping that this might be close. Anthony (Moontheloon) told me his New York was as close to vintage felt as anything he had seen. I do like the hat, but my expectations were too high.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
1950s Royal Stetson "Kashmir Finish" just out of a gas bath. 6" crown, 2-1/2" brim.

View attachment 109844
The good old "gas bath"....to this day we have yet to dunk any of our hats in that manner, and actually hope to not have to go that route. It makes me far too nervous to even attempt it, and so far, many other cleaning events have either worked or not....love the small yellow hat sponges and some spray spot remover but sure hope it never comes to the gas bath....with my luck if I dunked a hat in the gas bath...the leather sweatband would melt of turn some nasty color....

How is the new tub working for the gas baths Bob?

The good old "gas bath"....to this day we have yet to dunk any of our hats in that manner, and actually hope to not have to go that route. It makes me far too nervous to even attempt it, and so far, many other cleaning events have either worked or not....love the small yellow hat sponges and some spray spot remover but sure hope it never comes to the gas bath....with my luck if I dunked a hat in the gas bath...the leather sweatband would melt of turn some nasty color....

The new tub worked well. I need to probably add another can of fuel, but it was no problem getting to all of the hat by flipping it. It removed a worrisome black mark with a little scrubbing with a toothbrush. I also ran the Valentine the Hatter through it and it cleaned up a few issues with it as well. The wide brim on that one hat to take a curl at the front and back to get it down in the fuel, but it didn't affect it any. I bought an automotive funnel to put the fuel back in the can when done, but it was the same size as the can spout. My wife would not let me use her kitchen funnel so I will have to buy another to get that job done the next time I'm at the farm.

BTW, no noticeable affect to the leather sweat, the liner or the paper tags.

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
The new tub worked well. I need to probably add another can of fuel, but it was no problem getting to all of the hat by flipping it. It removed a worrisome black mark with a little scrubbing with a toothbrush. I also ran the Valentine the Hatter through it and it cleaned up a few issues with it as well. The wide brim on that one hat to take a curl at the front and back to get it down in the fuel, but it didn't affect it any. I bought an automotive funnel to put the fuel back in the can when done, but it was the same size as the can spout. My wife would not let me use her kitchen funnel so I will have to buy another to get that job done the next time I'm at the farm.

BTW, no noticeable affect to the leather sweat, the liner or the paper tags.
How long do you bathe them?

How long do you bathe them?

The first time I cleaned one I left it in for a couple of hours, but now I don't go much past 1/2 to one hour. Seems like the fuel will do what it is supposed to by that amount of time and the long soak is not much more effective. About half-way through I take a soft bristle tooth brush (or larger) or a hat sponge to the stubborn spots. I would probably be better served by buying nicer hats!

RJR

The first time I cleaned one I left it in for a couple of hours, but now I don't go much past 1/2 to one hour. Seems like the fuel will do what it is supposed to by that amount of time and the long soak is not much more effective. About half-way through I take a soft bristle tooth brush (or larger) or a hat sponge to the stubborn spots. I would probably be better served by buying nicer hats!
:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred