Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
Wow... and I thought it looked great in the picture! I can only imagine it in real life... stunning.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
AlanC said:
^I'd say you did better than okay. There's no way it could be faked. They have a legit box and liner. And would it be worth it for $55. Congratulations!

(Oh, and I'm merging this with the 'new hats' thread.)

this thread is news to me. sorry about that. i haven't been on in a while. thanks!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I Don't Get It...

Will any thread started by someone regarding their new hat acquisition now be merged into this thread? [huh]

Cheers,
JtL

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Short answer: yes.

Some of you may have followed the recent discussions in the Observation Bar about tightening things up throughout the Lounge. This is simply one manifestation of that. Older threads won't be bothered. Over time this thread will itself become a virtual encyclopedia of hats.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

AlanC said:
Short answer: yes.

Some of you may have followed the recent discussions in the Observation Bar about tightening things up throughout the Lounge. This is simply one manifestation of that. Older threads won't be bothered. Over time this thread will itself become a virtual encyclopedia of hats.

Hmmm. Well, I'd like to offer some constructive criticism on this one. I think this new approach really undermines the nature of the conversations that occur in the Hats Forum. In fact, I'm finding it hard to imagine what this Forum will be like under the new regime. To the extent that this Forum serves as an archive of information, it is much easier to locate info about particular makes or models of hats by running a search of thread topics and incorporating the make or model as a search term. Information concerning a particular hat is consolidated all in one place, and the conversations are easy to follow. Under the new system, any and all new hat acquisitions are apparently tossed into the same thread, making it much more difficult to have conversations about a particular hat. Instead, as is happening already, there is a kind of "crossfire," where several hats are up for discussion at the same time. I think this will dilute the kind of information that otherwise tends to be contributed as conversations are allowed to develop in a single thread.

Anyone willing to reconsider this decision?

Cheers,
JtL

vonwotan

Practically Family
Perhaps it would be possible to indent or indicate to whom a poster is responding in a consolidated thread? I understand the desire / need to organize and manage redundant threads. I just hope that inquiries in these posting don't get lost in the many conversations they generate. I am always quite interested to learn more about the history of a particular hat, model, brand, etc. and it looks like it could become difficult to follow a thread once several conversations are going at once.

Stoney

Practically Family
Searching will be even more difficult as well

The search engine for v-bulletin leaves a lot to be desired. For instance if you search for "Stetson Gun Club", you get too many results ..those for "stetson", "gun" and "club". This is bad enough, I can hardly fathom having to search through a 100 page post looking for a particular hat or conversation since the search function is not granular enough to find the page where the search text is found, just the thread.

[huh]

AlanC

Stoney said:
The search engine for v-bulletin leaves a lot to be desired. For instance if you search for "Stetson Gun Club", you get too many results ..those for "stetson", "gun" and "club". This is bad enough, I can hardly fathom having to search through a 100 page post looking for a particular hat or conversation since the search function is not granular enough to find the page where the search text is found, just the thread.

I agree that there are some frustrations with the vBulletin search functions here. I'm looking into seeing if something can't be done about that.

However, please note at the top of this thread there is a drop down 'Search This Thread' option that actually make targeted searches easier when things are contained. For example, if you went to the the 'What Hat Are You Wearing' thread and want to see all of the hats that, say, DOUGLAS has posted you can pull those up with a username search within that thread. It is also possible to switch the view under 'Display Mode' to threaded mode which will allow one to follow a particular discussion more easily.

There are a lot of trade-offs here and we're trying to explore what the best options are. This is a fluid process, but it's also the case that no solution will be completely satisfactory to everyone.

Wesne

One of the Regulars
I've read the threads in the Observation Bar. Since the hat forum is my main area of interest, I'll offer my feedback here in the spirit of constructive criticism. Take it for what you will, as I'm just one guy who came here looking for information about hats and has never had much of value to contribute.

Whether it's intended or not, what this says to me is basically, "We don't really give a %$#! about your new hat but if you feel you really must post about it, post it here so it doesn't detract from the forum any more than is absolutely necessary." I've found a lot of great information in the new hat threads and always liked seeing them. I even picked up a couple of new/old hats myself recently (a rare occurrence) and was planning on putting together a photo essay, but I don't think I'll bother now. I can take a hint.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
AlanC said:
This is a fluid process, but it's also the case that no solution will be completely satisfactory to everyone.

But, Alan -- what "solution" is called for here? A solution to what, exactly?

This Forum in and of itself is an "encyclopedia of hats", as you call it. To reduce that concept to a single thread seems to be a bit shortsighted, and, in my view, really undermines the spirit of this place. I've spent a whole lot of time here, and much of that time has been spent reading through archived material. Historically, this Forum has been a place where people have posted about all kinds of things hat-related -- but, without a doubt, one of the cornerstones here is the discussion that occurs around newly acquired hats. Those are the posts that, over the years, seem to lead to all kinds of information being shared.

I guess I just don't understand what is leading to this sudden need to "control" the very kind of input that has been a staple here for so long. And, maybe, in the end, it's that dynamic that rubs me the wrong way.

I offer all of the above in a constructive fashion -- I just would hate to see this place cut off its nose to spite its face, so to speak.

Cheers,
JtL

Mustang

One of the Regulars
I would also like to chime in with my two cents worth. I also see this as a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. It has however, created problems of its own. [huh] shakeshead

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
would be so hart to make a "New hat board" on the forum? That way the new hat threads would just be in one location.

Marlowe P.

One of the Regulars
new hat

nothing fancy but a nice towncraft, but first for me... looks like the start of a beautiful addiction... i mean collection
9.jpg
[/IMG]

AlanC

The previously merged threads have been restored. I suggest we make this thread a repository for new hat pictures on a voluntary basis. Independent new hat threads are welcome. I think it would be nice to archive some hats here, too, though.

Carry on!

(I may remove the discussion in this thread into an independent thread in order to keep this pinned thread on point.)

indycop

I'll Lock Up
AlanC said:
However, please note at the top of this thread there is a drop down 'Search This Thread' option that actually make targeted searches easier when things are contained. For example, if you went to the the 'What Hat Are You Wearing' thread and want to see all of the hats that, say, DOUGLAS has posted you can pull those up with a username search within that thread. It is also possible to switch the view under 'Display Mode' to threaded mode which will allow one to follow a particular discussion more easily.
I also did not know you could search within a single thread:eusa_doh: !!Thanks for that info Alan!! :D Searching for stuff has always been frustrating for me...:eusa_doh:
I also like the threads for each hat because of the discussions pertaining to that hat, But hopefully everyone will keep in mind that the bartenders are trying to improve things for the better and it is great that they will listen!!
I do like the idea of a sticky for pics of hats as a resource.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner