Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

toobacat

One of the Regulars
indycop said:
I also did not know you could search within a single thread:eusa_doh: !!Thanks for that info Alan!! :D Searching for stuff has always been frustrating for me...:eusa_doh:
I also like the threads for each hat because of the discussions pertaining to that hat, But hopefully everyone will keep in mind that the bartenders are trying to improve things for the better and it is great that they will listen!!
I do like the idea of a sticky for pics of hats as a resource.

The search within a thread function doesn't always work either. I've tested the search function by searching for works that I knew were in the thread, but it didn't find them. I have much better luck searching the forum with google.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
AlanC said:
The previously merged threads have been restored. I suggest we make this thread a repository for new hat pictures on a voluntary basis. Independent new hat threads are welcome. I think it would be nice to archive some hats here, too, though.

Sounds like a good approach. Many thanks, Alan! :)

Cheers,
JtL

Stoney

Practically Family
Marlowe said:
nothing fancy but a nice towncraft, but first for me... looks like the start of a beautiful addiction... i mean collection
9.jpg
[/IMG]

That looks swell on you kid..

:eusa_clap

Marlowe said:
nothing fancy but a nice towncraft, but first for me... looks like the start of a beautiful addiction... i mean collection
9.jpg
[/IMG]

Looks just right, Marlowe. I like the way you wear it, with the crooked brim and all.
Do tell, how'd it come into your possession?

Viper Man

Banned
My First Homburg

I couldn't pass this up for $40 BIN on the 'bay. I was really attracted to the look of that huge crown. It states that it is a Carroll John but made by Cavanagh? I'll have to stretch it out a bit when I get it (it's a 1/8 and I wear a 1/4) but it looks to be a very nice vintage for the price. I also have an almost new Cavanagh liner that I could install if necessary...

1a3f_1.JPG

19cf_1.JPG

1b0d_1.JPG

Not sure if I'm really a Homburg man or not but after seeing some of the conversions here (especially the works by Bud in Texas), I'm sure I can work something out...

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Viper Man,

That's a really nice hat. I watched it for a long time and thought about buying it for the historical value since it's not my size, but my finances are needed elsewhere.

I will stress now - PLEASE DON'T CONVERT THAT HAT! :) Carroll Johns are fairly rare, and that hat is best kept as is for history's sake. I wouldn't even put in a liner.

Carroll John was Cavanagh's lower-priced line of hats, named for one of John Cavanagh's sons. It was made at a time when even a lower-end Cavanagh was still a great hat.

Congratulations on buying a fine hat, and I hope you take my words to heart.

Brad

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow

That is a great find Viper Man!! You don't see these come up very often. A true piece of history. PLEASE DON'T CONVERT IT

Viper Man

Banned
Whoa, thanks for the information and compliments, guys. I like the way the hat looks but I have no idea how it will look on my head. While I enjoy collecting vintage hats, I buy to wear first and foremost. I suppose that if I don't enjoy the Homburg look I could always sell or trade this hat for something more suitable to my tastes instead of destroying it's historic value. Am I correct at guessing it to be from the 1940s? The sweatband looks really wide. Also, is the absence of a liner indicative of a "3 season" hat or could the liner just be missing?

feltfan

Viper Man said:
I suppose that if I don't enjoy the Homburg look I could always sell or trade this hat for something more suitable to my tastes instead of destroying it's historic value. (...)Also, is the absence of a liner indicative of a "3 season" hat or could the liner just be missing?
I certainly would have bought that hat (and the other
she was selling) if they had fit me. I would hope someone
here would take it off your hands. It's an awesome hat as intended.

Note that the inside has a label stuck on the top of the crown.
That indicates it was sold without a lining. I, like a lot of people,
like hats without linings because they are not as hot (and some
liners rub my shaved head). It's a cool style of its time. BTW,
you see it a lot in Panama hats, but very rarely in homburgs.

DOUGLAS

The absence of a liner is fantastic for wearing all year round. I have all of my custom hats now made with out a liner. It is a beautiful hat and definitely let us know if you deside to change it.

That Carroll John appears to have that feathered trailing edge on the bow, as was done with some Cavangh homburgs of the era, including that sweet, sweet dark blue one Ande was kind enough to sell me. (At a very fair price, I might add.)
I'm with the others here in urging you to preserve that lid as is. It may not be irreplacable, but I'd hate to be the one tasked to find another just like it. If you decide you'd rather have the dough to buy something more utilitarian, I'm confident you'd find several people here who'd be happy to buy it from you for considerably more than you paid.

bolthead

Check out my New Panama...

Check this out guys...This showed up today. about a week and a 1/2 ago I snagged this Mallory Panama for, get this....$.89 Yes that's right, 90 cents.....well Ok I paid $8.oo S&H.....:D This hat is brand spankin' new. The leather sweat is much darker than the picture shows, that's from the flash. It's very soft, quality leather. I'm impressed with this hat, I don't know what's it's worth, but it's worth a heck of a lot more than I paid for it...specs to follow.

MalloryPanama2.jpg

MalloryPanama1.jpg

MalloryPanama3.jpg

Marlowe P.

One of the Regulars
tonyb said:
Looks just right, Marlowe. I like the way you wear it, with the crooked brim and all.
Do tell, how'd it come into your possession?

Well I kept watching myself lose out on a lot of really swank hats because of a lack of monetary funds. And while I appreciate really nice things (especially the stellar examples I see on the FL). My personal style is for my vintage wear to show some of the bruises of time. To be broken in so to speak.
So I gave myself a limit and got a good catch on OFAS. I have to say I was pleased and got nice comments and looks when I took it on its maiden run.
Im starting to think that these brimmed creatures are going to be like tattoos for me. Once you get one, you start thinking about the next one.

AlanC

bolthead said:
Check this out guys...This showed up today. about a week and a 1/2 ago I snagged this Mallory Panama for, get this....$.89 Yes that's right, 90 cents.....well Ok I paid $8.oo S&H.....:D This hat is brand spankin' new.

*%$&#+$@! small headed freaks!

(Nice hat!)

flylot74

One of the Regulars
OK Here are a couple of pictures of Art's creation in gray with a bound edge and 2 3/4 brim. It's now my favorite hat. Thanks Art!

and the other pic:

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Bolthead, I do believe you're the proud winner of both a beautiful hat, and the BARGAIN OF THE MONTH AWARD! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

bolthead

AlanC said:
*%$&#+$@! small headed freaks!

(Nice hat!)
Hey Alan, I took a gamble on this one actually, it was marked as 7 1/8. I can sometimes get away w/ a 6 7/8, but normally I'm a straight 7, I liked the looks of it so much & nobody was bidding on it so I grabbed it. It's actually true to size, a bit loose, I'll need to pad the sweat a bit, but it's worth it I'd say.

Specs: Crown 5", Brim 2 3/8", (Beautiful) Pugree 2 1/4", Sweatband 2".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21