Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

alphy27

One of the Regulars
Conversion

My new Resistol Western conversion.
resistal1.jpg

from this...
resistal5.jpg

...to this.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
That's a beautiful hat, bolthead. Very distinctive. It's unusual to see a dyed panama like that, and the band really sets it off. How's the leather on the sweat? It looks a lot like their standard sweatband, which is a good thing. I have a problem with getting summer straws that have sub-par sweatbands in them which over the years have shrunk and cracked.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dinerman said:
That's a beautiful hat, bolthead. Very distinctive. It's unusual to see a dyed panama like that, and the band really sets it off. How's the leather on the sweat? It looks a lot like their standard sweatband, which is a good thing. I have a problem with getting summer straws that have sub-par sweatbands in them which over the years have shrunk and cracked.
I was really surprised with the sweat DM. It's super soft, not those thin flimsy sweats you usually see. I knew it was good leather as soon as I opened the box, because that's all I smelled, was leather. :D I also agree with you about the color. I thought it was a bit unusual too, but then I thought maybe it was just me. I thought it was more unusual that because nobody was going near it....I mean like you said, that band really stands out on it, very nice contrast.

Thanks.

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
Oh my GOSH!

Alphy, that conversion is breathtaking! Literally, I gasped when I saw the "after" picture, then sat here staring, open-mouthed at my computer screen for nearly a minute.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Superb!

-Tofu

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
The Sesquipedalian

Late last November I commissioned a bespoke fedora from Mister Fawcett. It traveled along a slightly troubled path before it came to my hands. First it came up in the queue just before Mister Fawcett closed his shop, as scheduled, for maintenance and improvements, then in January some misfortune befell Mister Fawcett, which of course delayed his work. The next problem arose when the normal hat body proved no match for the dramatic dimensions that I had specified, so he had to order a larger hat body and work the stiffener out of it. The final, and least, troubles came when it was shipped, the postman attempted to deliver it on Thursday the twenty sixth while I was attending a lecture, as could not leave the package at my door without a signature, but he also did not, contrary to the United States Postal Service's tracking and confirmation, leave a notice. I waited until Monday, by which time he had made no second attempt to deliver, until I did what I probable should have as soon as I had surmised the situation: call the post office to inquire as to the status of the package and arrange the second delivery attempt. At last, on Tuesday, March fourth, the hat was delivered to me.

It was a three month odyssey, but I at last have my bespoke fedora and am very well pleased.

While the hat was never given any official name, I have taken to referring to it as The Sesquipedalian, in honor of one of my most inveterately practiced and often remarked upon traits.

The hat is made with black felt. It has a center creased crown with side dents that is six inches when open and a twenty two ligne dark steel grey ribbon. I had always envisioned the ribbon as pleated, not unlike the Route 66, rather than as it is in the photographs, but I must have forgotten to mention that to Mister Fawcett. That's no bother, of course, because it looks splendid regardless. The brim is three inches at the front and back, but dimensionally cut to two and three quarters of an inch at the sides and trimmed with charcoal grey edge binding.

Have said all of that, I shall present what we always excitedly seek in these threads: Pictures!

Hat-Box.jpg

This is the rather splendid box that the hat was shipped in.

Front.jpg

From the front, sitting upon the hat box.

Side.jpg

From the side, again sitting upon the hat box.

Rear.jpg

From the rear, yet again atop the hat box.

Top.jpg

From above, still sitting on the hat box, but with the hat box on my bed rather than my reading table.

Bottom.jpg

This is the ventral side of the brim and interior, displaying the sumptuous red liner and my initials punched into the sweat band.

Sesquipedalian-Front-Worn.jpg

This is, of course, a picture of I wearing the hat.

Sesquipedalian-Right-Side-W.jpg

It is I again, but from the side.

It is an excellent hat. Yesterday I wore it out in the rain and was quite pleased by how well it withstood the elements. Today whilst walking down Lark Street here in Albany I was able to conclude that while it is even more given to being caught by the wind than my previous hat, there is also more of it to grasp, so I can easily catch it before it flies off of my head.

Old-Hat-Left-Side-Worn.jpg

This is an photograph of me wearing my old hat, which I provide for contrast. (also: here, here, and here)

My old hat, a five year old Village Hate Shop Cagney that was manufactured by Biltmore served me quite well, but I like my new one that Mister Fawcett created far better. The old one had thicker, oddly fuzzy felt, a thin sweatband, glued-in liner, and some rather obvious stitches visible on the outside slightly below the ribbon.

I certainly hope to order another hat from Mister Fawcett, but not for quite a while. I adore it, but a three hundred and thirty five dollar investment (if one include shipping) is not something that one of modest means commits to frequently. I have an idea already for a grey fedora with a slightly odd variation on a teardrop crease...

Ande1964

Practically Family
Wow!

Great hat, Delthayre! You and Art produced something that really works for you. Congrats!

Anj

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Delthayre, congratulations on the hat. You'll have another one on order before you know it. Be sure to include a couple of pics and some specs in the Art Fawcett Hall of Fame thread.

bolthead said:
Hey Alan, I took a gamble on this one ...but it's worth it I'd say.
No question you hit the jackpot on that gamble. I'd love to find one like it.

Stoney

Practically Family
Delthayre said:
Late last November I commissioned a bespoke fedora from Mister Fawcett. It traveled along a slightly troubled path before it came to my hands. First it came up in the queue just before Mister Fawcett closed his shop, as scheduled, for maintenance and improvements, then in January some misfortune befell Mister Fawcett, which of course delayed his work. The next problem arose when the normal hat body proved no match for the dramatic dimensions that I had specified, so he had to order a larger hat body and work the stiffener out of it. The final, and least, troubles came when it was shipped, the postman attempted to deliver it on Thursday the twenty sixth while I was attending a lecture, as could not leave the package at my door without a signature, but he also did not, contrary to the United States Postal Service's tracking and confirmation, leave a notice. I waited until Monday, by which time he had made no second attempt to deliver, until I did what I probable should have as soon as I had surmised the situation: call the post office to inquire as to the status of the package and arrange the second delivery attempt. At last, on Tuesday, March fourth, the hat was delivered to me.

It was a three month odyssey, but I at last have my bespoke fedora and am very well pleased.

While the hat was never given any official name, I have taken to referring to it as The Sesquipedalian, in honor of one of my most inveterately practiced and often remarked upon traits.

The hat is made with black felt. It has a center creased crown with side dents that is six inches when open and a twenty two ligne dark steel grey ribbon. I had always envisioned the ribbon as pleated, not unlike the Route 66, rather than as it is in the photographs, but I must have forgotten to mention that to Mister Fawcett. That's no bother, of course, because it looks splendid regardless. The brim is three inches at the front and back, but dimensionally cut to two and three quarters of an inch at the sides and trimmed with charcoal grey edge binding.

Have said all of that, I shall present what we always excitedly seek in these threads: Pictures!

Hat-Box.jpg

This is the rather splendid box that the hat was shipped in.

Front.jpg

From the front, sitting upon the hat box.

Side.jpg

From the side, again sitting upon the hat box.

Rear.jpg

From the rear, yet again atop the hat box.

Top.jpg

From above, still sitting on the hat box, but with the hat box on my bed rather than my reading table.

Bottom.jpg

This is the ventral side of the brim and interior, displaying the sumptuous red liner and my initials punched into the sweat band.

Sesquipedalian-Front-Worn.jpg

This is, of course, a picture of I wearing the hat.

Sesquipedalian-Right-Side-W.jpg

It is I again, but from the side.

It is an excellent hat. Yesterday I wore it out in the rain and was quite pleased by how well it withstood the elements. Today whilst walking down Lark Street here in Albany I was able to conclude that while it is even more given to being caught by the wind than my previous hat, there is also more of it to grasp, so I can easily catch it before it flies off of my head.

Old-Hat-Left-Side-Worn.jpg

This is an photograph of me wearing my old hat, which I provide for contrast. (also: here, here, and here)

My old hat, a five year old Village Hate Shop Cagney that was manufactured by Biltmore served me quite well, but I like my new one that Mister Fawcett created far better. The old one had thicker, oddly fuzzy felt, a thin sweatband, glued-in liner, and some rather obvious stitches visible on the outside slightly below the ribbon.

I certainly hope to order another hat from Mister Fawcett, but not for quite a while. I adore it, but a three hundred and thirty five dollar investment (if one include shipping) is not something that one of modest means commits to frequently. I have an idea already for a grey fedora with a slightly odd variation on a teardrop crease...

Man, you are stylin in that hat! Tall crown, side dents and big ol ribbon.

Simply Fantastic!
:eusa_clap

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I got a new homburg in today, an early '30s? Mallory homburg. It has a monster of a taper-free 6-3/8" open crown and a 2-1/4" brim. Purple Lining. The sweatband is unreeded, sewn directly to the felt. There is a very old repair on the sides where the sweatband stitching is missing. A piece of leather was glued to the back of the sweatband, folded up backwards and sewn to the hat body. This also adds extra material which shrinks the hat down from a 7-3/8 to a solid 7-1/4.

IMG_5000.jpg

IMG_5006.jpg

IMG_5005.jpg

IMG_5004.jpg

duggap

Banned
New hats from Art Fawcett

As promised, sorry it took so long.:eusa_doh:
This is my LaSalle
MyLaSalle.jpg

This is my LaSalle again
MyLaSalle2.jpg

This is my Jazzman
MyJazzman.jpg

This is my HST
MyHST.jpg

Another one of my HST
MyHST2.jpg

and here is my Brooklyn
MyBrooklyn.jpg

My Tucker is the one im wearing in my avatar.

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
Duggap,
WOW! Really nice lids! I have some catching up to do! :p
Your HST doesn't have the custom pin, or did you remove it? I see it has a different ribbon than on the VS site.

I've gotta say, I'm turning green over here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21