Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
AlanC said:
Of course, by that time an older Dr. Jones was wedded to the hat style of his youth and like many old timers refused to give up the older style. He had also discovered a custom hatter in Mississippi who would make him hats to his exact specifications, no longer forcing him to rely on the whims of current hat fashions.

Nice lid.

lol :p

Cheers!

waffle

One of the Regulars
Colby Jack said:
Sorry waffle...I haven't been back since '86...but maybe if ya go down to Lincoln Road mall area...they may have something left there[huh]
IC...I saw K.C. and the Sunshine Band at grad night...:eek: :D

indycop said:
I saw them at Gradnite in Disney, first time I even heard of them....

hahaha, that's just awesome.. between the two though, i'd go with KC

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
lol I don't know...Gloria can belt out a tune!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
If you get down to Lincoln Rd Mall...let us all know what you find...I used to go down to watch old Vaudeville shows in the 70's. Lots of old shops used to be down there...but who knows what's there now.[huh]

waffle

One of the Regulars
Colby Jack said:
lol I don't know...Gloria can belt out a tune!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
If you get down to Lincoln Rd Mall...let us all know what you find...I used to go down to watch old Vaudeville shows in the 70's. Lots of old shops used to be down there...but who knows what's there now.[huh]

i've been there a few times.. as far as i know, there are a lot of great resturants, and A LOT of wierd people..... especially this one older man that believes he's a woman.. and that we're still in the 70's. [huh]

.. at least he makes people laugh.

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Ladies hats and question on buying hats

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie, but enjoy reading all of your posts.

I have 2 questions:

1. I haven't seen a lot of ladies' hats on this thread. Maybe some ladies can post some hat pics?

2. Where do you all go to buy your hats? Online? Local shops?

Thanks and I look forward to e-meeting you all.
~Erin*

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the Lounge. There are perhaps more pictures of ladies hats in the Powder Room, although they are welcome to post them here, certainly.

The hats are ebay purchases, a strong showing from custom makers and also from online shops.

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Thanks for the welcomes. Being a lady, I don't know if most of you would want to wear the same hats. ;o)

There wasn't much I could find in the Powder Room.

I don't really wear hats much, but would like to start. If you buy the hat online, how do you know whether it will look good on you?
Do you buy mostly vintage or new hats? I would prefer to get some that have not been previously worn, but have a vintage look.

Thanks everyone!

GWD

One Too Many
This Resistol arrived a few days ago, I'm not too impressed with the quality of the felt, liner, or the hat band. It may be the self-conforming feature but it has very little "give" when compared to a normal leather band. But then again it may just be old. It's still a decent looking hat and pretty original.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
GWD said:
This Resistol arrived a few days ago, I'm not too impressed with the quality of the felt, liner, or the hat band. It may be the self-conforming feature but it has very little "give" when compared to a normal leather band. But then again it may just be old. It's still a decent looking hat and pretty original.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Do you have any idea of the hat envy coursing thru my body right now. AGAIN, a really nice hat. Your collection would be easier to tolerate if we weren't the same size.lol lol lol I really like that edge contrast on a serious note.:eusa_clap

GWD

One Too Many
handlebar bart said:
Do you have any idea of the hat envy coursing thru my body right now. AGAIN, a really nice hat. Your collection would be easier to tolerate if we weren't the same size.lol lol lol I really like that edge contrast on a serious note.:eusa_clap

Thanks HB!

lincoln1965

New in Town
GWD said:

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

GWD,

A beautiful hat!!!!

Stoney

Practically Family
Knox Forty

I just received this from an OFAS auction this week. A Knox Forty in light tan with a chocolate ribbon. This hat is everything that I had hoped it would be. It was nearly pristine when I received it, only some light soiling to the front of the brim which came off easily with a small wipe of denatured alcohol. Now it really looks as good as it did when new. As expected the felt is fantastic. It takes any crease you care to make with no moisture and returns to open crown with no ill effects, of course no tight pinches! I swapped lids for this one as we were planning a trip to Red Robin for burgers.

BurgerNight.jpg

Knox_Forty-2.jpg

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Stoney, that is one seriously good-looking lid. Great balance of crown and brim and ribbon sizes, good color. I would go for something like that in a heartbeat, if I found one in my size. Great taste you have! Seems like the Cavanagh edge too. Wear it in good health!

- Bill

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Great lookin' lid, Stoney. :eusa_clap

Can you tell us a little about using denatured alcohol? Do you use it for spot cleaning?

Cheers,
JtL

Stoney

Practically Family
Thanks

KY Gentleman, Woodfluter and JTL, I agree about the proportions on this lid. I normally would not wear a hat with a brim this large but the ribbon width does seem to balance it out enough that it looks OK on my 6 3/4 LO noggin.

The dimensions are 2 3/4" brim and the surprisingly short 5 1/4" open crown.
For some reason it looks taller than 5 1/4 OC with that center dent crease.

Edit: I forgot to mention that it is indeed a cav edge. Called the Custom Edge by Knox.

JTL, I do use the denatured alcohol for spot cleaning. Its pretty safe to use on hats. Since it is the primary ingredient in stiffener; denatured alcohol will not harm the felt and it leaves no residue after it evaporates. Since it is toxic you should wear some gloves for chemical protection and use it in a well ventilated or large area.

I use a paper towel to pat the area that I've sprayed with the alcohol. Most soiled areas clean up quickly with no damage to the hat.

This from the Material Safety Data Sheet
(MSDS) for Kleen-Strip denatured alcohol
( not my brand but it's the same stuff)

Inhalation Acute Exposure Effects:
Vapor harmful. May cause dizziness, headache, watering of eyes, irritation of respiratory tract, irritation to the eyes, drowsiness, nausea, other central nervous system effects, spotted vision, dilation of pupils, and convulsions.

Skin Contact Acute Exposure Effects:
May cause irritation, drying of skin, redness, and dermatitis. May cause symptoms listed under inhalation. May be absorbed through damaged skin.

Eye Contact Acute Exposure Effects:
May cause irritation.

Ingestion Acute Exposure Effects:
Poison. Cannot be made non-poisonous. May be fatal or cause blindness. May produce fluid in the lungs and pulmonary edema. May cause dizziness, headache, nausea, drowsiness, loss of coordination, stupor, reddening of face and or neck, liver, kidney and heart damage, coma, and death.

Obviously one should use it with care and keep it out of children's reach.

Mark Geiger informed me that you can use Everclear (drinking alcohol) as well, same stuff but without the toxins added. Although not available in California, we east coasters may be in luck. I'll check the liquor stores to see if it is available here before I buy any more denatured (toxic) alcohol.
Thanks for the tip Mark. :)

frijoli

One of the Regulars
Stoney said:
Mark Geiger informed me that ine could use Everclear (drinking alcohol) as well, same stuff but without the toxins added. Although not available in California, we east coasters may be in luck. I'll check the liquor stores to see if it is available here before I buy any more denatured (toxic) alcohol.
Thanks for the tip Mark. :)

I can buy it at my liquor store, and "locally" ;)

Clay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou