Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Resistol size 8 Long oval 4X Rancher purchased from ebay.

This has a very thick stiff felt. It's hard to get a black hat to look right in photos. The hat is basically new. It probably sat in somebodies closet for a few years before they decided to sell it off.
It's a much coarser felt than the diamond horseshoe I posted right before this.
IMG_4701.jpg
IMG_4699.jpg
IMG_4696.jpg
IMG_4694.jpg
IMG_4692.jpg

IMG_4691.jpg

IMG_4688.jpg

IMG_4687.jpg

IMG_4686.jpg
IMG_4685.jpg

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
A little teaser! Received a bluegrass green Akubra Campdraft yesterday. Today, received a Miller Edson. No time now to take pics but will in the next few days.

Unlike many, I prefer someone else to block my hats for me. The Campdraft was a challenge, but the crease is good enough. The Edson is clearly hand-creased by Miller.

I guess I have decided that I am going to wear the thin-ribbon "Stratoliner" type of hat. I have airplanes for all but the Borsalino (I already own), because, after all, it's a Borsalino!

Pics sometime this weekend.

Tom

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
Hats In The Belfry order arrived!

I ordered some hat supplies and tools from www.hatsinthebelfry.com, and I decided to get two of the regional hat store chain's own hats while I was at it. One, the Belfry Gangster, has the most brim out of their swing-era-looking fedoras, and for about $50, you can't beat it. The other is their Train Conductor's Cap, which is built as a high-end theater costume item, but this one has ended up in actual [museum] rail service!
:usa2::lever::roll:

The Belfry Gangster in all of its very nice soft-felt glory, and the very professional looking conductor's cap.
NewHat_03-29-11_img1.JPG

A new hat is certainly something to grin about!
NewHat_03-29-11_img2.JPG

The liner-less Gangster should be a joy to wear in all but the hottest weather. I really recommend these!
NewHat_03-29-11_img3.JPG

"Now there'll be no funny business on my train, sonny, ya'hear?"
NewHat_03-29-11_img4.JPG

A true-blue [Navy, to be exact,] railroad cap, complete with the crown pocket. Can't wait to log some hours of service with this cap!
NewHat_03-29-11_img5.JPG

Hats In The Belfry was great to order from. Their selection is tipped rather far towards patterned cloth stingy brim hats, but look in the right places and you'll find some affordable and well-made treasures there. I ordered mine on the cheapest shipping setting, and they arrived early the second business day after ordering! I'll be a repeat customer the moment I find another hat I "need"... :rolleyes:

casechopper

From my experience trying different hats I've come to the conclusion that I'm a size 7 3/4 extra extra long oval (my German genes). Both of those photos quoted by DanofArlington are taken at an upward angle which shows the amount of space around my head clearly. This isn't the view anyone else would have looking at me with the hat on unless they were right next to me and 4' tall. With one paper towel in each side and a thin piece of felt in the front and back it fits good.

Currently if I wear a size 7 3/4 it fits pretty snug front and back. I have a size 8 Stetson sovereign fedora that fits perfect front and back but has space on the sides. I'm still a bit undecided on this hat. The felt is smoother and nicer feeling than most of my other hats but I'm unsure whether this will shrink to the point of being a good fit or be too big forever.

I'm also not 100% sure how well I'll be able to pull off a large cowboy hat like this in the NYC area.

I think it's just the up-close camera angle. I'd like to see how the proportions look from about 10 feet away.

BTW, CaseChopper, what's your head size?

Neophyte

I'd say that, given the amount of space at the sides of your head evident in the photos, you could do with a reblocking. You can send that hat to a hatter to get it reblocked long oval (maybe even extra long oval), which will take care at the gaps on the sides and give you a little more room front and back. When I ordered an Akubra Campdraft from EverythingAustralian, the owner offered to reblock the hat free of charge (added a week or so to the wait time, though). The fit was much better after that.

I'm not really sure how to describe my head shape. It's kind of egg-shaped, so that the gaps are to either side of my forehead, rather than running the length of the side of the head as in your photos. I seem to be somewhere between a 7 1/4 xtra long oval and a 7 3/8 long oval. Perhaps my German ancestry plays into this as well...

Either way, though, those hats look great. The white one suits you well!

Last edited:

DRB

One Too Many
Here's a new one: GW from "The Custom Hatter" made it. Bone Colored. 100% Beaver. He said he pounced it to 100X quality.
GwBoneMarch28201110.jpg

GwBoneMarch28201151.jpg

GWBonecoloredonMarch28201111.jpg

casechopper

Well... it's not to be. The hat has been traded to another lounger in exchange for a very nice Akubra Silver Spur in a size 63 which is much closer to my real size than a full size 8.

If you happen to be in Costco and see someone in a bowler, it's probably me.

Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic