Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Hückel Foulard

Black, size 57cm with very light weight felt. Also came with a box which I assume is original. Probably late 1950s early 1960s. More details in the German - Austrian thread.

5575272332_5709131c63_b.jpg

5575278812_ba0f237b4f_b.jpg

5575312158_277fff12ed_b.jpg

DRB

One Too Many
Thank you for your kind words, my friends.

Here is the comparison that was asked for:

Grahams Optimo 1000 in Porcelain white is slightly softer than Gary White's bone. However, the Optimo 1000 is a Beaver/Mink mix and and the GW is just 100% beaver. So I cannot compare the softness of the two.

As far as stitching goes, they seem the same. I know there was discussion on another thread regarding Optimo's ability to put out a great bow with no stitching showing. However, with my Optimo Blue (I sold it) I could see the stitches in the ribbon.
I believe Optimo is more creative at making new styles of bows. I believe Gary needs help in that area, but he will make any picture of a hat or bow you show him. He just wants to please the customer, not steal other hatters' ideas.

I know that I will get much more use out of the bone color. The white is just for New Year's Eve and such. The bone, which is slightly lighter than silverbelly, is a color that I want to wear everyday. I like white hats. I consider the bone to be off white.

Gary gave me a life time's worth of pouncing powder should I ever encounter any mishaps that need to be covered up. I thought that was nice of him.

I like the personal attention I get from GW and have 3 more waiting to be built. I currently have 4 of his.

I paid less than half the money for the bone than the porcelain white.

The Bone was made from a block that was of my choosing that fit my favorite hat, a Borsalino with low crown and taper. Optimo, even though I asked for it, I did not get exactly what I was hoping for in low style. All of my hats from Gary will have the same shape.

Gary has a plastic liner over the liner, Optimo does not. Some like that, some don't.

Dollar for dollar, I will get more use, and thus, like the GW better than Graham's. I paid less than half for this hat than what I paid for the Optimo 1000.

Here is a picture of them side by side. Both are high quality.

GwBoneMarch28201126.jpg

DRB

One Too Many
Steve, you sure know how to find them. Beautiful. Also, I have never seen a ribbon treatment exactly like that. Truly a unique find. Congratulations!

DRB

One Too Many
One caveat, Gary's Sand colored Mink/beaver is still my favorites of all. It is light as a feather and the "scratch" finish and color, just amaze me.
Dec212010GaryWhite70mink30beaversandcoloroutdoors211.jpg

Dec21201019GaryWhite70mink30beaversandcolor.jpg

DRB

One Too Many
Aureliano
I asked him, he said it is a trade secret. One that he mixes himself. He keeps secrets but also teaches hats at some school around there. Go Figure.

I suspect that it is nothing more than Fullers Earth powder (powdered Magnesium Aluminum Silicate) with a little powdered dye of the same color of the dyed hat body. I just ordered some and intend to try it to see if my hunch is true. Get it at drug stores or ebay.

Fullers Earth description:
Fullers Earth
AKA: whitening clay

Active Compounds: silica, alumina, iron, lime, magnesia, oxides, water
Background: Fullers earth is a type of clay that has many uses. It has properties that allow it to absorb oil. This has made it useful in industry where it's been used to soak up automotive oil and grease. It's also been used as a component of cat litter.
The name of fullers earth comes from the people who were the first to capitalize on its use. Laborers who processed wool used it to soak up the oil from the sheep. These workers were called "fullers" and that's where the clay gets its name.
While fullers earth is often use in industrial work, it can also be very useful for the skin. It's used in masks to help absorb oils and prevent acne. In order to use fuller's earth for these applications, it should be part of a special blend. Do not attempt to use the clay that's available for industrial use.
Applications: Lightener/Oil Absorption
Fullers earth is primarily used to promote healthy skin.
Oil absorption: Fullers earth can be added to facial masks and used to remove oils from the skin.
Skin lightening: Fullers earth can be used to lighten the skin.
Description:
Fullers earth is a mineral clay that's found abundantly in the world.
Fullers Earth Dosage:
Fullers earth can be applied to skin when mixed with other minerals. Follow the manufacturer's instructions on the product label.
Safety:
There is no negative information available for fullers earth. Consult your health care provider before beginning use of any herb.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano
I asked him, he said it is a trade secret. One that he mixes himself. He keeps secrets but also teaches hats at some school around there. Go Figure. I suspect that it is nothing more than Fullers Earth powder .

Sorry for the off topic, guys.
Interesting, Dennis. So is this powder GW gave you for stain removing? or is it something to be used during the pouncing (sanding) process for finishing a hat.
I use this sometimes for spot removing. Does it look like it?
http://www.rods.com/Scout-Spot-Remo...le11&ns_md=Feed&ns_sc=Froogle&ns_cn=Froogle11

delectans

Call Me a Cab

Dennis, Dennis, Dennis, you have gone and done it again, my friend! Your new Bone GW is fabulous. I do have to say, however, that from this photo it appears the Optimo 1000 felt is smoother. Both beauts, but I still have a soft spot for the 1000, it is soooo white you need :cool:

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
I got this off the bay a couple of days ago. Adam Sovereign Genuine Panama with the original price tag still inside. The only bad thing was that the sweatband came very stiff. Still messing with it, but over all not a bad lid!
Crown height: 4 3/8
Brim: 2 3/16
Silk band: 1 3/4
DSC03311.jpg

DSC03314.jpg

DSC03310.jpg

DSC03313.jpg

DSC03320.jpg

DSC03315.jpg

DSC03317.jpg

DSC03321.jpg

DRB

One Too Many
Johnny J: nice vintage hat. It looks like some patina coloration has set in. Patina is a good thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou