Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s dress hats

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Fantastic blondie velour. The perfek felt from Joshbru is just amazing, Great couple of hats there.

Got my first velour today and i couldn't be happier. Its even better condition than I could have hoped. Looks like a brand new hat.

fashion frank

One Too Many
Frank, I'm a size 7 LO. I have a good amount of vintage hats in size 6 7/8 because they serve as great examples for my collection, but they do not fit me. All hats fit different, now and in the past. People did tend to wear hats a bit higher on their heads pre-1920's and from vintage size charts I have seen, there does seem to be about 1/8-1/4 inch difference in circumference listed on the vintage charts. I have had vintage 6 7/8 fit my head very comfortably and modern 6 7/8 fit very tightly. It seriously depends. If your looking for pre-40's hat in size 6 7/8, let me know. I may have one for you.

Sorry for not responding sooner to your reply.

Thank you explaining the difference in hats sizes in regards to different era's .
I did hear somewhere that people used to wear there hats a bit higher on there
heads in days of yore ,I wonder what was the reason for that ?

Also thanks for the offer on a hat I might just take you up on that at some point ,but again thanks for explaining that to me.

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Fantastic early longhair Robert. Hard to tell the colors from the photos - is the ribbon green tinged and the liner orange?

P1070507.JPG

P1070502.JPG

P1070503.JPG

P1070504.JPG

P1070505.JPG

P1070506.JPG

P1070510.JPG

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Liner is orange. Hat is a dark chestnut with slightly darker ribbon of similar hue. Head shot is best color.

Idiotic Google + no longer lets you link to an individual image -designed for social media now and the iphoto stuff gives an error with the FL upload.[huh]

Some stylistic similarities to the old Hawes Von Gal, though yours is likely a higher quality hat. The $3 Hawes is a longhair finish, not velour.

11.jpg

19.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Don't know if it means anything, Justin, but the factory label on the De Pinna looks a lot like a Dobbs label without the Dobbs symbol on the left. It's possible it was a Hat Corporation of America product.

Either way, both are terrific hats!

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats