Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s dress hats

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
very nice, Josh!

It sure looks like the X on the back bow is a protective basting stitch. Interesting that it often remains in place.

Thanks, Alan! I have often wondered about the "x" on bows. It never seems to be tight against the ribbon, nor does it even seem to be perfectly center. I have had a good amount of early hats with that "x" stitch and always just thought it was a design. Now that you mention it, I bet it is a basting stitch!

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Mell's Hat Shop

"Mell-O-Fit"

Dated: November 20, 1922

Green/Grey/Brown Heather Long hair finish.

a6y5y8y7.jpg

use9e7ab.jpg

2u6urame.jpg

ybysu2a6.jpg

yju2e9eg.jpg

qytyqu2y.jpg

egygana4.jpg

eby4abah.jpg

a2ytabe9.jpg

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
Mayser each hat you show is my new favorite! I've got to tap into that German hat market

Splintercellsz that Mell is a dream hat! I hope to someday find one of those in my size as well

Joshbru that might just be the coolest liner ever in that Longley

Tommy, Thanks! This seller actually had some really great smaller sized hats but they are no longer available. I will post photos of them later.

I assume the holes in the sweatband were for a cinching string?

It is a great piece. How is the felt?

Yes it must have a had a ribbon that went through the sweatband holes which is common. The bow looks original so it must have been modified.

The felt is really nice. The photos don't really show the color (it's a mix of colors) correctly. It's more of a medium weight and wears very soft.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mallory Beaver Brush Finish

The American Hatter (vol. 38) February, 1909

and in person

Last edited:

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks, guys. 1920's seems to be a more likely date range for this lid - The crest doesn't say E.A. Mallory & Sons, Inc. which is the header they were using during the time of the advertisement (think they switched to the Mallory Hat Co in 1919-1920). Also, the center crest emblem contains "Beaver Brush Finish" designation but it is unlikely that a beaver colour option from the 1909 ad would warrant its own sweatband punch (never seen a sweatband punch designation based on a colour option). So perhaps this is a later incarnation of that original "X Brush Finish" ad campaign.

Last edited:
Garrett, I am not sure if Austrian Brush Finish and Beaver Brush Finish are related in this case. I do know that the term Brush was used interchangeably with Velour in Austria and Germany. The men that made hot wet brushed finishes were also known as Brushers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael