Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s dress hats

buler

I'll Lock Up
Great hats! The Stetson liner and Mallory Ten sweat make that first hat a puzzle. Can you post the tags behind the sweat? That Portis liner looks to be the oldest Portis I think I've seen. Did you find the hats together?

B

navarre

Vendor
P. & C. Habig Wien - Berlin "Special Qualität" with "Auto Cape", size 58cm, very good condition, 208 grams, probably mid 1930s.

16482169993_2d8f03557a_b.jpg

16482189113_d4d50a072a_b.jpg

Hey Steve, I know this is an older post, but it has me curious. Do you feel that the "Autp-Cape" double felt does make it a stiffer hat?
And is it far heavier than other bowlers you have?

If memory serves me, was it you that owns the bowler with the cork lining? If so, how does it compare?

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Great hats! The Stetson liner and Mallory Ten sweat make that first hat a puzzle. Can you post the tags behind the sweat? That Portis liner looks to be the oldest Portis I think I've seen. Did you find the hats together?

B

The tags are both underneath the liner which is stitched in pretty tightly still. Heres the best shots I can do without breaking a stitch. The Portis was indeed from the same seller so i'm guessing its more than likely early to late 20's based on the age of the Stetson.

Awesome find!

Very curious indeed. Is it possible that someone switched the liner? Is it still stitched to the top of the crown?

I think its just stitched along the base of the crown. I'm guessing this one was sent in for repair at a department store years later after it was purchased, for a sweatband replacement.

I think the liner is original to the hat based on the brown reorder tag underneath the liner.

Hey Steve, I know this is an older post, but it has me curious. Do you feel that the "Autp-Cape" double felt does make it a stiffer hat?
And is it far heavier than other bowlers you have?

If memory serves me, was it you that owns the bowler with the cork lining? If so, how does it compare?

Bob, The "Auto-Cape" feature does add weight. I am pretty sure it's the heaviest Stiff Felt of mine at 208 grams. A recent BB Stiff Felt weighed in at 190 grams. I would say average is around 160 grams. A very light weight Stiff Felt is around 110 - 120 grams. The P. & C. Habig Wien "Auto Cape" is actually less stiff and will spring back so less prone to denting / cracking (the reason for "Auto Cape") but still is a Stiff Felt. I don't have any cork lined Stiff Felts. I believe OCMH as a few of them.

Last edited:
Yes they are very difficult to find over 7 1/4 (58cm). Also lost (quit or seldom post) some posters (RLK/Robert, Garrett, Josh, Dinerman/Spencer, ect. ) that were more focused on pre 1940s dress hats.

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1890's/Very Early 1900's Best & Co Childs hat (Liliputian Bazaar)

Here's a few links about Best & Co. They started out primarily focused on childrens clothing and hats.

"The first incarnation of Best & Co., was founded in 1879, in New York City by Albert Best, as the Liliputian Bazaar. It initially focused on babies and children outfitting, but later expanded to women's clothing and accessories. It was known for its "tastefully styled and proper women's clothes and its sturdy children's wear."[1] Philip Le Boutillier served as president during the late-1930s. In 1966, the company was acquired by McCrory's, who also operated Lerner Shops and S. Klein. In late-1970, McCrory's liquidated the company. At the time of its closing, it employed 1,200."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_&_Co.

http://collections.mcny.org/Collection/Best-&-Co.-Liliputian-Bazaar-2F3XC5COKENR.html

http://collections.mcny.org/Collection/Best-&-Co.-Liliputian-Bazaar-2F3XC5COKQD5.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR