Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s dress hats

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Josh, that had is absolutely incredible - better yet it looks bloody great on you!

Do you normally wear it, or is it too frail to risk?

Wow is all I can say. Its amazing that the hat isnt brittle after all of these years.

Josh, fantastic find! Looks really good, after all the years!

Thanks so much, Gentlemen!!

David, I never take it out of the house. The straw isn't too brittle, but the first good sweat and that sweatband stitching will just fall apart. I want to have a panama made that is identical to this hat so I can actually wear it out.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Cool - getting a modern one made is a really good idea. Pretty amazing how good the style still looks after all this time.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
....Pretty amazing how good the style still looks after all this time.

I agree fully! I've never been a fan of flat porkpie crowns, but there's just something about a straight sided flat (non-porkpie) crown and a curled brim that gets the blood flowin.

Here's a clipping from a 1920 Sears Roebuck ad which seems to have the exact same styled hat.

WovenJapanesePanama.jpg

It has the same crown shape, the brim curls in back, and its ironed flat in front just like my hat.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I agree fully! I've never been a fan of flat porkpie crowns, but there's just something about a straight sided flat (non-porkpie) crown and a curled brim that gets the blood flowin.

Here's a clipping from a 1920 Sears Roebuck ad which seems to have the exact same styled hat

It has the same crown shape, the brim curls in back, and its ironed flat in front just like my hat.

Lots of hats styled like yours, but the image above is a "Telescope style"

Screen%2520shot%25202012-03-15%2520at%25203.40.57%2520PM.png

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Robert, I totally missed the fact that the hat from the 1920 ad was a telescope. I guess I didn't read the description, but just looked at the picture. :eusa_doh:

The Panamas from 1913 are very interesting. The crowns are fairly low, but the brims have VERY high flanged brims. Due to the flanging, the brims appear to be bigger than they really are. At least to me.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1930's M. Schwartz & Co

This hat is new-to-me and has the most unique ribbon treatment I have ever seen. The ribbon crosses on both the left and right sides and also has a back bow with frayed ends.

DSC07843.jpg

DSC07844.jpg

DSC07845.jpg

DSC07846.jpg

DSC07847.jpg

DSC07848.jpg

DSC07849.jpg

DSC07851.jpg

DSC07853.jpg

DSC07852.jpg

Josh, Super find! Never seen a ribbon combo like that before. I also like how the sweat ribbon has different thread colors. It's such a treat to see hats from the 30s and earlier! :)

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Low crowns on Panama hats were popular in 1920, I gather. That's interesting because many Panamas afterward seem to feature tall crowns, even in the Optimo style. I like to see the ebb and flow of crown depth and brim size over the decades.

One notable decade of low-crowned hats, for example, seems to be the 1860s. A number of photos and engravings I've seen from that decade feature low-crowned hats--the lowest ever that prevailed in American history, perhaps. I like the way things change because obviously people in the next decade considered the previous decade's examples to be "out of style."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy