Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s Stetson Westerns

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
mole skin on left...."the boss raw edge" on the right

finish of the mole skin

finish of "the boss raw edge"

mole skin stamp and size sticker

"the boss raw edge" and size sticker

I find the felt of these two hats to be quite similar. Both thin with a very fine finish. The mole skin hat looks to have had a reed that is no longer there. The sweat is so fragile that turning it to get a lot stamp or production stickers is not possible.

g.durand

One Too Many
I posted pics of a new-to-me Stetson No. 1 quality yesterday. Alan suggested I also post here, since this looks to be a ca. 1930s hat. The sweatband stitching is fragile so I'm only able to see a lot stamp, which reads "LOT 70--". It was in poor shape and I was able to clean it up a bit, but it still shows its age, although the felt is sound.

IMG_5147_zpstxq1mwvy.jpg

IMG_5145-1_zpswxbplzam.jpg

IMG_5148_zpseg5exaib.jpg

IMG_5144_zpsgcv5rijb.jpg

IMG_5196_zpsww4z9lnc.jpg

IMG_5194_zpsfqme7adj.jpg

I really like the side-view profile.
FullSizeRender%2033_zpsiunmarx9.jpg

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
IMG_0505.jpg

Inside of the hat. Green liner. Textured sweatband. Appears it might have had a stampede string at some point.

IMG_0506.jpg

Clear Nutria John B. Stetson Company Philadelphia

IMG_0508.jpg

Fur Felt Hat Made in the USA

IMG_0510.jpg

John S. Hartman & Son
Hatters
87 New Bond Street
Established 1850

IMG_0514.jpg

Deep, slanted telescope crease. It seems from the hats I've seen and the dirt lines on hats I've seen recreased on ebay that this deep telescope crease was popular on this style of high crowned wide brimmed cowboy hat. The tall exaggerated gus crease /tom mix crease seems to be something more of a caricature of movie hats than most people actually did. But try telling that to a cowboy action shooter.

IMG_0512.jpg

High Crowned hat

IMG_0515.jpg

Love this one. Reminds me of General Robert E. Lee's hat or even the Outlaw Josie Wales. Have been wanting one of these for a long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran