Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Problems with Aero Jacket and Talon Zipper

HPA Rep

Vendor
I'm sorry to hear of the issue, but don't fret about the zipper (the lack of responsiveness and CS is something else), as it's almost always about the gap setting. Gap is the space between the top and bottom half of the zipper slider, which if not perfect, will cause a zipper to malfunction as you described. The gap can become too narrow from leaning forward against things (a bench, table, or a bar for those barflies), or it can become too wide from pulling outwardly and up on the puller, which is natural and no fault of yours; both problems occur more frequently on repro zippers because of the softer metals they are made of vs. vintage zippers, which I wrote about in another post on this forum recently.

Unfortunately, these Hookless zippers are more prone to being sticky/stiff when new, and when we get jackets in from the manufacturers that employ theses zippers, we test them more thoroughly than any other style. Quite often, we find we must re-set the gap, which is almost always too narrow on new zippers, but on used zippers, the more likely issue is that the gap becomes too wide. Once we re-set the gap on the new zippers, they work amazingly smooth and well, and I don't understand why some manufacturers don't execute this same QC before they ship their costly merchandise.

Please note that the amount of gap needed to create issues is very minute: a millimeter and less can ruin your day. We set the gap for those too wide by gently crimping the outer side of the zipper halves together with flat pliers, making micro adjustments until success is reached. And for zips where the gap is too narrow, we gently pry the two halves wider with a flathead screwdriver or stiff, flat knife (butter knife), also making micro adjustments.

There are very rare instances when the correct gap setting cannot be found, in which case the entire slider must be replaced, which is something we can perform on premises, or we can supply a documented customer a new slider, throat stopper, and instructions should they prefer to do this on their own (if the jacket is under warranty, we cover the shipping both ways).

I think the more recent Hookless zippers coming out of Waldes (the last year or so) have been the most problematic, as our QC has caught and fixed quite a number of jackets so outfitted at checkin time from the manufacturer before ever being sold to customers (all had gap settings too narrow). Customers getting Hookless zippers, or any other repro zip we offer, shouldn't worry long term, because a fix is never a long way off and the fixes usually last indefinitely or they can be made good again; actually replacing a zipper chain is almost unheard of with us.

I wish you the best with your Hookless zipper and hope you keep the vintage aesthetic vs. going for some contemporary style; the look is far better, in my opinion, and the solution is not very remote. If you attempt the gap re-set, please proceed gently, slowly, and in increments. I also hope this post helps others who run into the same problem with any zipper, which includes vintage zippers (which are less prone to the issue due to their use of stronger, better metals).

Lastly, I cannot help but pinch myself, thinking I'm in an altered reality, but then I realize what forum this is. I find it absolutely noteworthy that months of delays in getting satisfaction from the manufacturer, painfully and insultingly slow e-mail responsiveness that is tantamount to horrid customer service, and a costly jacket purchase with a faulty zipper is brushed off with the greatest of ease and in a brand-defensive manner not commonly experienced with any other brand. Had this been the case for any brand we represent, the hypocritical wolves on this forum, for which there is no lack thereof, would have pounced to crucify with hammer and spikes in hand.

pak

One of the Regulars
For me it is just a zipper. All of my work wear has YKK, mostly metal/nylon #10. These zip have never failed. I'm a bit ham handed so a larger zip works best. A lot of my recreation wear has YKK mostly nylon always works as expected. I have a YKK on my JL and could not be more pleased. So after saying this, I do not quite understand the fuss over zippers but to each his own.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I think it's the generic stamped "YKK" that throws the look off. I've had a few jackets where the zip seems to throw the elegance of the rest of the jacket off if I'm being a nit-picker, but truth be told they work!

Lastly, I cannot help but pinch myself, thinking I'm in an altered reality, but then I realize what forum this is. I find it absolutely noteworthy that months of delays in getting satisfaction from the manufacturer, painfully and insultingly slow e-mail responsiveness that is tantamount to horrid customer service, and a costly jacket purchase with a faulty zipper is brushed off with the greatest of ease and in a brand-defensive manner not commonly experienced with any other brand. Had this been the case for any brand we represent, the hypocritical wolves on this forum, for which there is no lack thereof, would have pounced to crucify with hammer and spikes in hand.

So one day I woke up, thinking man, I could do with different zipper pulls on my Aero Leathers jacket. Nothing wrong with the ones I had on the jacket, just that I wanted different zipper pulls, is all. So I sent Aero Leathers an Email, asking them if they could send me two Talons. Two hours later I got an answer from Aero Leathers, saying no problem man, the zippers are on the way, have a lovely day. Three days later, mailman delivered an envelope with two brand new Talon zippers. With a lovely thank you and all the best wishes card from Aero Leathers company.

So, my experience with Aero Leather company is super fast and super polite e-mail responsiveness, that is tantamount to excellent customer service, and more importantly, instant satisfaction from the manufacturer. Even though the problem never existed outside my spoiled head.

Best part? I didn't even have to pay $170.

Then why are you even pissing with this forum with all the low lifes in attendance?

pak

One of the Regulars
Nick, I need to remind myself that the garments here are largely for fashion more so than function. In this case the zip's function is probably trumped by fashion. Conversely, on a jacket worn riding at highway/track speeds the function should trump the fashion. Personally, I prefer a zip that doesn't require a special technique to couple and maintain.

It's rare that I zip up unless I'm riding or really cold. Zips for me on these jackets are about trying to be true to the history.
But yes, for practical gear it's all function.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The Hookless types don't require any particular 'special technique'. All you need to do is make sure that the male side is pulled fully into the female side before you zip up.

^ while that's normally true, those #5's in general I'm not fond of and give me the most fits.
I mean, you go to a pub/bar and have a few-or quite a few. Not always doable :p

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Haha! True. Tbh, that's probably the case for me with any jacket after a few - buttons, zips, or velcro!

Velcro. Now we're talking.
I also have oven mitt hands/fingers.

Screw it. Selling them all for hoodies. Then I can interview for a new job at Facebook.

The Hookless types don't require any particular 'special technique'. All you need to do is make sure that the male side is pulled fully into the female side before you zip up.

Clix are like that. Even the #10 ones can get a little fussy. Excellent zippers otherwise. Lorries among zippers.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
This one's not much visually better than my #10 YKK whichever. I suppose it depends on the model.
image.jpeg

thor

One Too Many
I love this forum! No matter what post I read I learn some new esoterica. Full grain vs top grain. Hide tanning techniques. Now zipper gap settings/repair. The more I think I know, the more I'm amazed by the cumulative knowledge of all those here on TFL. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner