Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper hat with a tuxedo (dinner jacket)?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I watched "Gilda" last night. There was a fellow in it wearing a tuxedo with a black fedora and it looked absolutely smashing. That is, until Glen Ford smacked him around a little. ;)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
We are off out to a summer ball tonight, no time to show you my posh frock, maybe when I return. The which hat with a tux has me wondering. I have a black fedora, but as the tux is white, well ivory actually, the fedora has a sort of Peter Sellers ring to it. Maurice Chevalier, really does a boater with a tux, impeccably, trouble is, I haven't got a boater. Hatless again, sigh!
mc.jpg

We are off out to a summer ball tonight, no time to show you my posh frock, maybe when I return. The which hat with a tux has me wondering. I have a black fedora, but as the tux is white, well ivory actually, the fedora has a sort of Peter Sellers ring to it. Maurice Chevalier, really does a boater with a tux, impeccably, trouble is, I haven't got a boater. Hatless again, sigh!
View attachment 174960

My default for semi formal is normally a homburg, but if to are going with an off-white dinner jacket (black trousers?) you have lots of options. A fine Panama? A black fedora? I like light colored Milan “homburgs” the best. Not sure about the boater...it could look nice if it had a plain black ribbon.

The reality is that unless you’re at a garden party, or something of the sort, you’ll wear the hat very little: from your home to your car and from your car to the venue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The reality is that unless you’re at a garden party, or something of the sort, you’ll wear the hat very little: from your home to your car and from your car to the venue.
That's true, I do like the idea of a Panama, but although I went hatless tonight it was no big deal. The summer heat that we are experiencing at present would be amplified with any hat, but the lightest straws. It was a fantastic night.

Tuxedo 001.JPG

That's true, I do like the idea of a Panama, but although I went hatless tonight it was no big deal. The summer heat that we are experiencing at present would be amplified with any hat, but the lightest straws. It was a fantastic night.

View attachment 174974

Looking sharp! The heatwave in Europe is frightening; I hope you are spared the worst of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Looking sharp! The heatwave in Europe is frightening; I hope you are spared the worst of it.
Thank you, it is seriously hot, the temperature gauge in France hit 114F yesterday. That's 45 degrees in C for those of a metric preference. At least our utility bills will be far less costly. Expect a winter price increase to recover lost revenue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner