Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pull out the Tuxedos

Hiram

New in Town
Apologies for the bad photo. You can't really see the peaked lapel because of my hair, but maybe I'll take some more when I loose enough weight to fit into it again!

portrait_jewels_lighter.jpg

Pleeztameetcha. I'm new.

Hiram

New in Town
That would be a York Rite Commandery uniform. The red cross in the photo is from the Scottish Rite equivalent, "Knight Kadosh of the White and Black Eagle" which is the Templar degree. That one has a plumed chapeau, but it's not exactly topical. ;)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Matt you got the winning ticket..!!

Hey Matt, looks like you just managed to win that boat ticket last night and up the gang plank by the skin of your teeth and now you're off to the promised land now to make your fame and fortune! What's the name of that boat on the side..? TITANIC...?:eek:

At least you cut a dash in your tux, you old blade you!!

Hiram

New in Town
Same here. A man never looks sharper than in a well-fit tuxedo. I can't imagine a garment that could possibly surpass it.

As a side note: women look pretty darn snazzy in them too.

shindeco

A-List Customer
Hey Ray! This is one of my favourite topics! (hehehe--here I go again!)

In the late thitries, early forties, a cummerbund was generally considered suitable for tropical climates (Taiwan being an obvious example) They should be black and worn with a black bowtie, soft shirt and turndown collar. White dinner jacket or light weight black/midnight blue jacket. Pleats are worn upwards (to hide theatre tickets and catch crumbs!)

A black waistcoat is always safe and always acceptable. It can have lapels or not, your choice. Always worn with a black bow tie; your choice of soft or stiff shirt/ turndown or wing tip collar

A white waistcoat was acceptable and, at times, considered highly fashionable in this period (Edward VIII influenced this). It was generally considered more formal and could be used as an alternative to full white tie regalia (viz. tails) The white waistcoat should always be worn with a stiff shirt, wing tip collar and black bow tie.

Just for the record. Tails are always worn with a white waistcoat, stiff shirt, wing tip collar and white bow tie. Although black bow ties had been acceptable in the late 1800s, by mid century that was the butler's standard evening uniform and no one wanted to be taken for the help!

Thanks again, I enjoyed that!!

Murray

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
Man, you know you've found a group of kindred spirits when there is a discussion of member tuxedos, WITH PICTURES! I'll see if I can round one up of mine. It's a modern double-breasted peaked lapel job that is fairly decent, though no vintage piece to be sure. When a working class stiff like me(who dosesn't even wear suits to work) owns his own tuxedo in this day and age...he certainly belongs in The Fedora Lounge:)
I've looked for a vintage tuxedo, but they're hard to score in a 44 Long. Oh well, such is life.

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
I wish I could find a nice vintage, double breasted, peak lapel tux from the late 30's or 40's in a 46/48R...

I would even settle for a single breasted model as long as it fit me.

But I have a gut feeling that the majority of them, in this size were scooped up during the swing craze and were either KIA or are now buried in someone's closet for the next few years.

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
I'm always looking for a nice vintage tuxedo that would fit my 44 Long frame. This is my modern one that I'm getting by with for now. It's OK, but not vintage.
The pic is a shot from my wedding a couple of years ago...
standard.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Tux (bump!)

Some of you may know that I do voluntary work on the side for a few organisations. Well once a year, the coordinating company throws a Dinner bash to thank all those volunteers in the community.
I happened to pop in to see them the other day and they gave me this photo that had been taken in June at the dinner! There was a drinks reception before hand where people could mingle and get to know each other first (it was held at an old country stately home a few miles down the road from my village).

Anyway, this was me when I was growing the 'Prince Michael of Kent' beard!! But as it went down like a 'lead balloon' with most folk, it disappeared to become my current Errol Flynn moustache!!

The DB tux is dated 1938 and is a beautiful all wool. The military cut tartan trews are in an ancient clan 'Forbes' tartan that I'm entitled to wear (I'm Scots/Irish).

VolunteerBureauThankYouEvening06001.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24