Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Putting it all together

benstephens

Practically Family
Here is the one I made today. I posted more in the Spread Collars thread, still need button holes.

Copied on one of my originals.

creamcoll.jpg

Ben

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Always a pleasure, Ben!

It's odd how the long-point collar (such as the Swiss one above) has come to signify '1930s America' in the minds of many. First of all, not that many American men wore collars that long. The style originated in the 1920s with showbiz folks; in fact, it was primarily known as the "Barrymore" collar, after the actor John Barrymore (who first popularized it). Hollywood stars favored this collar in the late '20s and early '30s; bandleaders and musicians for longer than that. (See the pic of Duke Ellington, below.)

Peterson001.jpg

Around the mid '30s, it began to disappear from the scene. By 1940, it was all but gone. Few noticed its absence: the majority of American men had gone through the decade wearing moderate spread, short point, and medium point collars.

(See photo below for an example of a medium point collar -- the most popular collar style in 1930s America.)

WWIIShirt1.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
(See photo below for an example of a medium point collar -- the most popular collar style in 1930s America.)

WWIIShirt1.jpg
Can't even get that most places nowadays - that graceful outcurve to the points is no longer the Done Thing.

Banana Republic made long point shirts in end/end weave about 10 years ago. Great colors - cobalt, periwinkle, broadnax green. Still have several.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Fletch said:
Banana Republic made long point shirts in end/end weave about 10 years ago. Great colors - cobalt, periwinkle, broadnax green.

Funny coincidence! I pick these up at thrift stores whenever I find them. The colors are very 1930s-looking, and the soft collars allow one to soak and stretch out their points by hand. Two of them are below:

BRshirts002.jpg

BRshirts001.jpg

Ben, yes that collar has much less curve than others i have. In fact the curviest, pointiest, longest collared shirt i have is an early 50s Van Heusen number. I was surprised, but it seems van Heusen kept up all their collar styles for a long time.

This may or may not be helpful. I once (long time ago; don't know if anything came of it) tried to help a fellow FLounger in his efforts to have a 30s-accurate American collar created by his shirt maker. I traced a collar from an arrow shirt i have.

This one has more curve towards the tips and is more of the classic long point style (though not nearly so long as the Ellington/Swiss ones posted earlier). I even measured up the angles:

ArrowCollar.jpg

bk

benstephens

Practically Family
Hi BK,
Thankyou very much, I will make a pattern up and make one to that shape as well. I am happy with the shape of my other one, that was copied from an original British one. When I have made the collar, I will post it on here.

Cheers

Ben

benstephens

Practically Family
Hi BK,

Thankyou. I can do collar attached shirts as well, I can I suppose unpick a collar from an existing shirt and then cut a new one in whatever style. Unfortunately I was ill yesterday, but hopefully today I will put the button hole in and then I will take a picture of the shirt on.

Kindest regards

Ben

moustache

Practically Family
This is a current shot

I have a few new shots to share of seperates doing well(in my opinion anyway)
The tweeds usually go well with most solids or very small houndstooth trousers.
Went with a long tie due to the spread collar.And matching pocket square.
And you might notice the trimmed down moustache as well.Looks so much better with the clothes.
These were taken yesterday by Lavendar lady.

12-9-06-1small.jpg

12-9-06-111small.jpg

12-9-06-71small.jpg

I hope these turned out ok.Let me know of any sartorial mishaps!!:p :p

JD in Vancouver,Wa with the help of lavendar Lady

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Funny coincidence! I pick these up at thrift stores whenever I find them. The colors are very 1930s-looking, and the soft collars allow one to soak and stretch out their points by hand.
What's the purpose of that exactly?

I have those exact 2 colors, the teal and cobalt. The teal is worn thru in places.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn