Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Putting it all together

Great guess - yes, the jacket is a linen/silk blend. I love it so much I bought two - one in this color and one in a darker gray.

That's an awesome blend as the silk mitigates some of the linens urge to wrinkle. Are these current purchases, meaning, can I find this jacket in a store now? I really like it - what brand is it? Thank you

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brown 1940s suit with dark red and grey stripes, brown 40s tie with gold and blue swirl pattern, dark peach shirt and pocket square.

GEDC0336_zps5c5e2894.jpg

Pera.T

One of the Regulars
Looking very well put together, as always. And man, I really need to look at getting me a pair of those sunglasses! :eusa_clap

Benny Holiday

Thank you Patrick, a true compliment coming from such a stylish gent as your good self!

I can see you in those shades Pera, you'd give them real class. I saw them in Public Enemies but couldn't have imagined I'd ever find a pair. Then I came across the Dead Men's Spex website. They'd be cheaper for you, when I got mine I then had to get prescription lenses put in them so I can see!

Metatron

One Too Many
Thought I'd channel the collective wisdom of the lounge once more:
What goes well with black and white, tiny houndstooth trousers?
Off the bat, I can think of blue, as the the houndstooth is small enough to meld the black and white into grey.
But what of other patterns?

Last edited:

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I thought I'd post this to demonstrate the pattern matching and mixing techniques Allan Flusser describes in Dressing the Man.

When mixing and matching pattens, it's all about balancing the scale of the various patterns. With a bold, widely spaced pinstripe, a more subtle, narrowly spaced striped shirt can work nicely for pattern matching. When mixing patterns, you generally want to match different pattens of similar scales, otherwise one will overpower the other.

Edit: You can't see it here, but as a default I usually wear a plain, white or cream linen pocket square . . . quadruple pattern matching isn't something I'm brave enough to attempt.

886748_697894406888374_1903823826_o.jpg

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Difficult one.

I tend not to wear waistcoats in the summer but when I do it would be in place of a jacket or maybe a matching waistcoat and trouser with a contrasting jacket.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
For a summer suit (navy jacket and cream trousers) would anybody recommend a waistcoat, and if so, what colors would be ideal?

I'd think about a burgundy vest, but wouldn't wear one in summer where i live. I wear vests with sport coats all the time to keep warm in the winter. A bonus is that if I am standing on a street corner for some reason strangers keep putting dollar bills in my hat.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

Not with the blazer outfit but there are other occasions when 3 fabrics work without getting the hobo look. Tattersal waistcoat with tweed for the country gentleman (chap caricature territory in the city though). Morning dress or stroller...with grey waistcoat. I guess there are more.

Mr. Purple

New in Town
I've always been leery of the odd jacket trousers waistcoat trifecta. A bit hobo trying to keep warm for my tastes.
Interesting viewpoint, Baron! Are you saying it should either be a suit, or give all waistcoats a wide berth? Does that go for knitted pullovers and sweaters as well, in your opinion?

No, what I eschew is a jacket of one fabric, a trouser of another fabric, and a waistcoat of yet another fabric. I prefer to have at least two of those (my particular preference is for jacket and waistcoat) in the same fabric.

A sweater is a different kettle of fish entirely. and can mix and match well, in my eyes, with odd jacket and trousers.

I would say that Compo looks much better than Cleggie here.

article-1094650-02CE2A12000005DC-942_468x502.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24