Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

Peacoat

Bartender
I went out and got a bunch of moth prevention stuff for the coats. I am curious as I'm sure someone here has dealt with it but is there any method of repair for moth damage? Most coats I see have a least a few moth surface damage, just looks like the top pile gets skimmed off. I'm guess there's no real way to fix this besides reweaving or buying a salvage coat and somehow mending it in. Maybe there's something I don't know about.
I think you pretty well covered it. I wish I knew some magic bullet to repair the holes, but I don't.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
He was definitely Second Division. My grandmother is still pretty sharp for 100. If she says he wasn't at Camp Lejeune, I gotta believe her. I know he was at Parris Island because she also gave me this. He's the second from the left, second row from the top.
Hey man, not disputing Grandma, just giving you a surficial view of what your Grandpa’s uniform says at that timestamp.
The pin on the right chest would be interesting to know about.
The total story of a uniform is never told, only referenced.
Super cool pic. I had/have a couple of my Grandpa like that from WW1.
B

spotmark

Familiar Face
Hey man, not disputing Grandma, just giving you a surficial view of what your Grandpa’s uniform says at that timestamp.
The pin on the right chest would be interesting to know about.
The total story of a uniform is never told, only referenced.
Super cool pic. I had/have a couple of my Grandpa like that from WW1.
B
Lol. I'll make sure she knows that. I appreciate you relaying the information. I already called her and told her. She was thrilled. If you mean the gold eagle in the gold circle patch. I looked it up and it means, Honorable Discharge.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Lol. I'll make sure she knows that. I appreciate you relaying the information. I already called her and told her. She was thrilled. If you mean the gold eagle in the gold circle patch. I looked it up and it means, Honorable Discharge.
Yes, that pin. Good to know. Wish they would have given us those. All i got was a kick in the pants and a don’t come back. Lol
Seriously though, that uniform and your Grandmother are treasures. I’m happy she got some joy out of the discussions.
But i don’t wish on anybody what it takes to earn what that uniform says.
Grandpa was a warrior and Grandma is a treat.
B

spotmark

Familiar Face
Yes, that pin. Good to know. Wish they would have given us those. All i got was a kick in the pants and a don’t come back. Lol
Seriously though, that uniform and your Grandmother are treasures. I’m happy she got some joy out of the discussions.
B
Thank you for the kind words and thank you for your service. My grandfather is the only link I have to the military. My grandfather on my father's side worked for the power company, so he was deemed essential at home during WWII. My father had a medical condition that kept him out of Vietnam. Me? I'm just a Gen X slacker who wasn't required to serve. As I've aged I've sure gained a whole lot of appreciation/respect for those who did/do. Thank you to all of you.

Peacoat

Bartender
B

You should have received a Good Conduct Medal, absent an admin screw up. It should be reflected on your DD-214.

I like a good mystery, and if the grandfather was ever at Camp Lejeune is one of those.

I'm betting he was finished with his service at the end of the war and was released then without being assigned a PCS in the States. That's what his uniform tells me, if the Marine protocol is similar to the Army.

In the Army, the current unit patch is worn on the left sleeve. If the individual saw combat with that unit, the patch will be immediately transferred to the right sleeve when the individual reports to his new unit.

The grandfather's uniform shows only a current unit patch on the left sleeve. It has not been moved to the right sleeve with a corresponding current unit patch on the left sleeve. That tells me he only saw combat during WWII with the 2nd Marine Division and did not have a billet with that unit after the war.

So the grandmother's memory is accurate; he was never stationed at Camp Lejeune even though he served with the 2nd Marine Division.

Semper Fi

spotmark

Familiar Face
First, let me apologize for taking us off topic. Second, you guys have been a wealth of information and I have enjoyed this oh so much. I only read my grandmother AbbaDatDeHat's original response to my pics. She is going to be tickled pink when I show her the rest of this. I'm pretty sure that Peacoat nailed it why my grandfather was never at Camp Lejeune. I will be able to confirm that when I see her. Thanks, guys!

Peacoat

Bartender
I should have moved this discussion to WWII when it first started, but I got into it and didn't think of it. Probably will do so later if I get some free time.

spotmark

Familiar Face
My latest WWII coat has arrived. Another fine example. The wool is in beautiful condition and the liner needs a couple of touch ups. One tear and two seam separations. The biggest blunder, as you can see, somebody redid the buttons on the left side and put them way too far in. After another trip to the tailor, and I'll have her all spiffy and new again.

Attachments

• 20230222_085847.jpg
    20230222_085847.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:

spotmark

Familiar Face
My WWII collection grows again. This one may be a little small for me and it has a pretty good tear in the liner, but the wool looks good and I think the price was right. :)
1677095034320.png

Edit 02/23/23 - You guys need to start pulling your weight. My '49 is being delivered in today's mail. I can't be the only one posting his new coats. :p

Last edited:

Dudley

Familiar Face
Idk if it's just me but after comparing all the intricacys of the 1945 coat vs the 1966 coat I think the 1945 is more refined in feels but thinner in material. The 1966 coat seems a bit thicker, chunkier, and more bulbous. Not sure if this makes a difference in warmth. Also noticed the 1966 finish is a bit rougher which might make it appear thicker. The 45 coat is definitely slimmer in many regards but really just paying attention to material. The 1945 coat has hidden seams on the neck while the 1966 has very thick flatlock seams. Maybe slight difference in weight but this could be because they are different sizes (34 vs 38). Don't know if you wanted this information but here it is.
I completely agree with your assessment of the two. WW 2's are more refined..

Dudley

Familiar Face
My WWII collection grows again. This one may be a little small for me and it has a pretty good tear in the liner, but the wool looks good and I think the price was right. :) View attachment 491746

Edit 02/23/23 - You guys need to start pulling your weight. My '49 is being delivered in today's mail. I can't be the only one posting his new coats. :p
Here is my 49 validated by @Peacoat. Still has the rumpled look from shipping. Needs a trip to the cleaners. It is a 38 and way to big for me. As soon as a find a 36 or possibly a 34, I will sell this one. Definitely a heavy fabric.

Attachments

• IMG_1199.jpg
    IMG_1199.jpg
    557.3 KB · Views: 53
  • DO01001013.JPG
    DO01001013.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 52

trentstanton

Familiar Face
Received this in today. I was shocked with the state of the wool. Literally not a mark on it whether by moth or dirt. Every coat I've bought up until now has had at least a little mark. Unfortunately it's too big so I'll probably sell it in my aim to buy a 1949 coat in a 34 (which Is seemingly hard)
PXL_20230223_235434953.MP.jpg
PXL_20230223_235441168.MP.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats