Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

Kfz

Familiar Face
Is the best way to clean these peacoats just to take them to a dry cleaner? Anything you can do about a lumpy lapel? Lay a book on it?
I am a believer of wet cleaning. Soak flat in tub w warm water & shampoo for 30 minutes. Brush the collar and sleeve ends with soft brush. Press with bear foot while it’s staying flat. Rinse w shower. Apply conditioner and rinse again. Soak in fresh water for another 30 minutes. Laying flat on beech chair and fan blowing dry. finishing with a sun bath. Iron with a cotton r shirt on top of coat. Came out great .wet washing will get rid of 90% of wrinkles

Dudley

Familiar Face
Is the best way to clean these peacoats just to take them to a dry cleaner? Anything you can do about a lumpy lapel? Lay a book on it?
Dry cleaning is a process that will minimize shrink, and create a more pressed look. I wouldn't do it often, but to revive the jacket to fresh, that is what I have had good experience with.

trentstanton

Familiar Face
Dry cleaning is a process that will minimize shrink, and create a more pressed look. I wouldn't do it often, but to revive the jacket to fresh, that is what I have had good experience with.
Good deal. I'll probably take it for one initial dry cleaning and call it there.

trentstanton

Familiar Face
Wow! Is that how much the 8 buttons go for or is this person out of their mind?
Screenshot_20230216-082132~2.png

spotmark

Familiar Face
You can't have too many WWII coats. They are getting more rare and more expensive every year.

I had two and gave one to a friend of mine who had been looking for one for about a year. Fortunately, we are the same size.
That's my feeling. I will continue to buy them if they are an okay price. The only other coats I want to get are a 1949, since you rave about them so much, and a 1968. I'm also a watch guy, and watch people like to buy, "birth year", watches. Since I can't afford a 1968 Rolex, I figured I'd go with a 1968 peacoat instead.

Kfz

Familiar Face
Please help: can you positively identify if this label represents Kersey or Melton wool? Thanks

Peacoat

Bartender
Hard to say. In 1978 they were doing some Meltons in the contract. As it says "100% Wool," and not Kersey, I would stay away from it if you really want a Kersey coat.

Kfz

Familiar Face
Hard to say. In 1978 they were doing some Meltons in the contract. As it says "100% Wool," and not Kersey, I would stay away from ii if you really want a Kersey coat.
How about this one? Based on the Peacoat Date Guide . It’s a 1949 coat. Correct me if l am wrong

Attachments

• 1CA23A3F-62E4-40C5-B100-52AFFED238C3.jpeg
    1CA23A3F-62E4-40C5-B100-52AFFED238C3.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 79

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav