Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

trentstanton

Familiar Face
Idk if it's just me but after comparing all the intricacys of the 1945 coat vs the 1966 coat I think the 1945 is more refined in feels but thinner in material. The 1966 coat seems a bit thicker, chunkier, and more bulbous. Not sure if this makes a difference in warmth. Also noticed the 1966 finish is a bit rougher which might make it appear thicker. The 45 coat is definitely slimmer in many regards but really just paying attention to material. The 1945 coat has hidden seams on the neck while the 1966 has very thick flatlock seams. Maybe slight difference in weight but this could be because they are different sizes (34 vs 38). Don't know if you wanted this information but here it is.

Peacoat

Bartender
Idk if it's just me but after comparing all the intricacys of the 1945 coat vs the 1966 coat I think the 1945 is more refined in feels but thinner in material. The 1966 coat seems a bit thicker, chunkier, and more bulbous. Not sure if this makes a difference in warmth. Also noticed the 1966 finish is a bit rougher which might make it appear thicker. The 45 coat is definitely slimmer in many regards but really just paying attention to material. The 1945 coat has hidden seams on the neck while the 1966 has very thick flatlock seams. Maybe slight difference in weight but this could be because they are different sizes (34 vs 38). Don't know if you wanted this information but here it is.
There seldom can be too much information on these coats.

trentstanton

Familiar Face
So this is a proper WWII coat I suppose? Chap listed in as a women's jacket which is clearly wrong. No indication of size on it.
Screenshot_20230218-102917.png

Peacoat

Bartender
1965 was the last year for buttonholes on both sides.

It appears the buttons on this coat were moved so that it could be buttoned more loosely. That's why the buttons look odd when the coat is open. They would look normal when closed and buttoned. Buttons could easily be moved back.

Someone got a steal on this coat. Had Trentstantin not been interested, I would have bought it in a second.

trentstanton

Familiar Face
15 bucks is a crazy steal
1965 was the last year for buttonholes on both sides.

It appears the buttons on this coat were moved so that it could be buttoned more snugly; thus the reference to a woman's coat. That's why the buttons look odd when the coat is open. They would look normal when closed and buttoned. Buttons could easily be moved back.

Someone got a steal on this coat. Had Trentstantin not been interested, I would have bought it in a second

trentstanton

Familiar Face
I went out and got a bunch of moth prevention stuff for the coats. I am curious as I'm sure someone here has dealt with it but is there any method of repair for moth damage? Most coats I see have a least a few moth surface damage, just looks like the top pile gets skimmed off. I'm guess there's no real way to fix this besides reweaving or buying a salvage coat and somehow mending it in. Maybe there's something I don't know about.

spotmark

Familiar Face
Just scored a much coveted 1949. It's a size larger than I normally wear, but I think I'll be able to make it work. Now all I have left to get is a 1968. On a side note, as I do on Sundays, I was visiting my 100 year old grandmother, and I was showing her my WWII coat. She mentioned that she still had my grandfather's WWII Marine uniforms and I was welcome to them if I wanted them. I'm thinking about having them framed. Here's a picture of the '49 I just bought and one of my grandfather's uniforms.

Attachments

• s-l1600.png
    s-l1600.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 89
  • 20230220_073240.jpg
    20230220_073240.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 92
Last edited:

trentstanton

Familiar Face
Just scored a much coveted 1949. It's a size larger than I normally wear, but I think I'll be able to make it work. Now all I have left to get is a 1968. On a side note, as I do on Sundays, I was visiting my 100 year old grandmother, and I was showing her my WWII coat. She mentioned that she still had my grandfather's WWII Marine uniforms and I was welcome to them if I wanted them. I'm thinking about having them framed. Here's a picture of the '49 I just bought and one of my grandfather's uniforms.
Nice . Have you received it yet and can compare? Anything special about the 1968?

spotmark

Familiar Face
Nice . Have you received it yet and can compare? Anything special about the 1968?
Just purchased the '49 this morning. Probably see it by the end of the week. 1968 is the year I was born. I stated earlier, I'm a watch guy as well. Watch people like to purchase, "birth year", watches. Since I can't afford a 1968 Rolex I figured I would get a '68 peacoat.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
What a treasure from Grandpa!
He made rank fast.
Staff Sargent with 1 hashmark (4+yers service) in the 2nd Marine Division, Camp Lejeune.
He was a ground pounder.
The two ribbons on the left denote his campaigns. The three “battle stars“ on the middle one tell the story.
3 campaigns/other awards.
I imagine he had more medals.
Grandpa was a Warrior, he pounded some ground.

Semper Fi to Grandpa!!
B

Ps: not sure what the pin on the right is??

spotmark

Familiar Face
What a treasure from Grandpa!
He made rank fast.
Staff Sargent with 1 hashmark (4+yers service) in the 2nd Marine Division, Camp Lejeune.
He was a ground pounder.
The two ribbons on the left denote his campaigns. The three “battle stars“ on the middle one tell the story.
3 campaigns/other awards.
I imagine he had more medals.
Grandpa was a Warrior, he pounded some ground.

Semper Fi to Grandpa!!
B

Ps: not sure what the pin on the right is??
Thanks for the info. I know he saw some heavy action in the South Seas. My grandmother will be excited to see your post when I visit her next Sunday. Although she said he was never at Camp Lejeune.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the info. I know he saw some heavy action in the South Seas. My grandmother will be excited to see your post when I visit her next Sunday. Although she said he was never at Camp Lejeune.
2nd Mar Div base camp is Camp Lejeune, NC.
At least it was when i was there. So, idk?

spotmark

Familiar Face
2nd Mar Div base camp is Camp Lejeune, NC.
At least it was when i was there. So, idk?
He was definitely Second Division. My grandmother is still pretty sharp for 100. If she says he wasn't at Camp Lejeune, I gotta believe her. I know he was at Parris Island because she also gave me this. He's the second from the left, second row from the top.

Attachments

• Platoon 82 Marine Barracks 194002202023 (1).jpg
    Platoon 82 Marine Barracks 194002202023 (1).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 71

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara