Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quirky things that people have done 'in the day' that people would gasp at today..

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
Joie DeVive said:
I thought of another story that today would probably get CPS and the police called these days..

My Dad was one of seven kids. One day his dad took a bunch of them into town to the store (sans seat-belts no doubt). When it was time to go home, he rounded the kids up, got them in the car, and only when he was halfway home did he realize that he was missing one of his, and had someone else's!! lol He had to turn around and go back to the store to return the child that wasn't his, and locate the one he left behind.

If it happened today he'd be sent to prison for kidnapping and child neglect! :eusa_doh:

haha! i'm sure now a days you would totally be repremanded by doing this but it is so funny! sure sign you have too many kids...lol

i wonder if that has happened to John and Kate Gosselin! lol

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Joie DeVive said:
I thought of another story that today would probably get CPS and the police called these days..

My Dad was one of seven kids. One day his dad took a bunch of them into town to the store (sans seat-belts no doubt). When it was time to go home, he rounded the kids up, got them in the car, and only when he was halfway home did he realize that he was missing one of his, and had someone else's!! lol He had to turn around and go back to the store to return the child that wasn't his, and locate the one he left behind.

If it happened today he'd be sent to prison for kidnapping and child neglect! :eusa_doh:

Did the lost kid foil some robbers by using clever tricks and inovations?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
*martini*time* said:
haha! i'm sure now a days you would totally be repremanded by doing this but it is so funny! sure sign you have too many kids...lol

i wonder if that has happened to John and Kate Gosselin! lol

It happened to Jesus. I think the story is somewhere in Luke.

miss_elise

Practically Family
Shangas said:
I've heard stories like that. Some kids who went to my school a long time ago (they're probably middle-aged by now), did a similar thing. They disassembled a VW Beetle and reassembled it on the roof of one of the science buildings and left it there.

then you're a monash person too?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Joie DeVive said:
:) [My grandfather] also rode rodeo in the 30's and 40's so I'm wondering if he didn't cross paths with Paisley's granddad.... I'd say it's a distinct possibility.

Maybe in the 40s--my father was a bull rider, a dangerous sport that, for some reason, nobody gasps at today.

It's funny how some parents and coaches nowadays will push kids so hard in sports that the kids get frequent injuries, yet they object to playground equipment and suit the kids up in padding just to go for a bike ride.

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
Straighten up & Fly right!

Cricket said:
My mother and grandmother were not afraid to do this to me in public. Sometimes "the look" would work, but when all else failed, it was time for the hand to meet the butt. And yes, no one batted an eye.

Of course, I am not saying to "beat" your child, but my son was going crazy in the book store, and I did the slight tap on the behind, and the cashier looked like she was going to call DHS.

Oh well, my son got his act together. I just felt odd with the lady staring at me.
~~that was a "favorite" sentence of my dads! I smacked my daughter in the back of the head (not hard but still!I know know why) g'ma(Etta Luella Henderson-Comer [make sure if you quote these sayings you please give her credit!] saw me and ever-so-gentley said one of her "famous" Poems to me!

"Never slap a child in the face....GOD PROVIDED another Place"

another one was for young "daters" all of the tweens heard this one growing up!this referrs to "Making Love" as in smoooching or cuddeling or petting

" Don't make love by the garden gate,cuz love may be blind but the neighbors ain't "
Some of the other stuff like the kerosine is right on it does kill lice but............just don't be smoking while applying or combing it through the head! lol
as of the burn, it's GARLIC! rub a sclice of garlic onto the skin for a burn in the kitchen! the olive oil is for scalp too but......garlic is good to!because it's a bacteria based "problem" that nothing really "fixes" :eek:fftopic: More on that in a different thread (if there ever is one!):eek:fftopic:
anyway......got questions just ask! hahaha
but i almost went to jail after I'd moved up here in 83 I was in the grocery store & my daughter kept kicking me in the stomach problem of being short! with a small toddler. I told her not to do that with mommy it hurt she kept it up so I smacked her leg! she stuck out her arm & cleared a shelf!about that time an older woman came around the end of the aisle & pointed her nobby little bony finger at me and said "if you don't stop I'm going to call CPS on you for abusing that child!" I said "you'd better call the cops first & get them on the way cus after you call CPS.....your gonna need a cop to get me off you!":rage: it's a great story, now, but 30+years ago it wasn't!it was the truth!lol

crwritt

One Too Many
I recall many long car trips with my family, in the wintertime, the old station wagon had unreliable heat. My folks would put a mattress in the back
and the four of us kids would sleep back there, en route, bundled in our snowsuits.
We had never heard of using seatbelts until about 1970 when my Mom finally
took driver's ed, and started driving properly.

Cigarband

A-List Customer
23SkidooWithYou said:
That reminds me!

Before beer was bottled or canned, you could only get it from the corner bar. People used to send children to the bars with covered pails to be filled and carried home for Dad after a long day of work. We come from Irish coal miners and it was believed a good libation settled the dust on the lungs.

The pail was called a "Growler." And hurrying home with it was called "Rushing the Growler." We Irish can make poetry out of the most mundane acts.lol

Cricket

Practically Family
1*Cool*Kitten said:
~~that was a "favorite" sentence of my dads! I smacked my daughter in the back of the head (not hard but still!I know know why) g'ma(Etta Luella Henderson-Comer [make sure if you quote these sayings you please give her credit!] saw me and ever-so-gentley said one of her "famous" Poems to me!

"Never slap a child in the face....GOD PROVIDED another Place"

another one was for young "daters" all of the tweens heard this one growing up!this referrs to "Making Love" as in smoooching or cuddeling or petting

" Don't make love by the garden gate,cuz love may be blind but the neighbors ain't "

I will be sure to give your grandma credit cause I know that will be using these now. lol

Lindabelle

One of the Regulars
Catarina said:
My grandmother was born in the 20's. Back then, women thought washing their hair while menstruating would somehow affect the head and make them go insane. So when bathing during their periods they'd wear a pot on their heads. I always laugh imagining my grandmother and her sisters bathing with a metal kitchen pot on, to ward off the crazies! lol

Oh that brought back memories Catarina. My mother who was born in the 1940's was told that growing up and I was also told this as a teen. I was told that it wasn't good for you. I didn't know it could send you insane! lol

One of my fondest and earliest childhood memories was sitting on my English grandfather's knee while he gave me warm tea in a saucer. Its no wonder I love tea so much!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
23SkidooWithYou said:
Rope doggies, not children.

My Gram had a harness from the time my Uncle was a small boy. You got strapped in and hooked to the clothes line. She could do her outdoor chores and you couldn't wander off or bolt for the road. I actually think it was a great idea but can you imagine what people would say if you tied your kid to a tree or clothes line?

This made me laugh as I was going to post a similar story that my Nana told me!

My uncle was a boisterous two year old. There was a hole in the back fence in the garden and a stream behind that. My Nana had to pack as they were moving, so she tied a long bit of rope through the back of his dungarees then tied that to the clothesline! Lots of toys about but he couldn't get through the fence. She was also watching him out the window as she packed.

Well, a neighbour saw this and told her it was cruel and she'd call the police on her! My Nana was really indignant. She said 'What, I should let my child drown themself instead???'. And this was about 1943, so perhaps it wasn't as 'normal' then either! lol.

Louise Anne

Suspended
My Grandma

In a thunder storm she take all her children (My Dad + bothers) in the 1930's and 40's and sit in the cupboard under the stairs in the dark until the storm passed.

The chances of her house been hit by lightening in a large town was very small, but even if she did think there was the risk of that happening and trying to protect her children understandabully.

She did not take into account that all the electric meters were in that cupboard so she was in fact sheltering in the wrong place defeating her first objective as if the house did get hit she might not get stones fallling on her but a electric shock instead!.

She could not see that.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Paul said:
My Grandma

In a thunder storm she take all her children (My Dad + bothers) in the 1930's and 40's and sit in the cupboard under the stairs in the dark until the storm passed.

The chances of her house been hit by lightening in a large town was very small, but even if she did think there was the risk of that happening and trying to protect her children understandabully.

I thought my mother was the only one in the world who acted like this when thundershowers came around. She'd get us all out of bed, no matter what the hour, and make us go outside and sit in the car until the storm had passed -- she had read somewhere that a car was the safest place to be during a storm, so that's where we had to go.

Our neighbor, meanwhile, would sit in his driveway in an aluminum lawn chair, sipping a beer, while watching the lightning flash. We expected at any moment to see him electrocuted, but it never happened....

Louise Anne

Suspended
LizzieMaine said:
I thought my mother was the only one in the world who acted like this when thundershowers came around. She'd get us all out of bed, no matter what the hour, and make us go outside and sit in the car until the storm had passed -- she had read somewhere that a car was the safest place to be during a storm, so that's where we had to go.

Our neighbor, meanwhile, would sit in his driveway in an aluminum lawn chair, sipping a beer, while watching the lightning flash. We expected at any moment to see him electrocuted, but it never happened....

That's a nice story also , they meant well!, mybe they felt it was something that there really had no control over at all but had to do something .

Lillemor

One Too Many
Joie DeVive said:

Not more than a couple of years ago at the most, a grandfather picked up a kid at a kindergarten that wasn't his grandchild.lol I don't remember what the story said about when he realized and how he got the right grandchild home with him. I don't believe he was arrested.

We lived in a small farm community. My dad used to let me sit on his lap and steer our 77 LTD Ford Station Wagon, gosh I loved that car, still want one.

My grandmother is one of 19 Children (5 sets of twins and 9 single births) (Great-Grandma was mother of the year in 1957, but for which competition I'm not sure) and the kids births ranged from 1939 until 1964 I beleive. There were so many kids, that the incentive for the older ones to come home on time was the promise of one of the 'first come, first serve' beds. The last ones in got the hard wooden chair or the floor.

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
Great Stories!

WOW! these are so true! I agree with AtomicEraTom; we "drove" all around town! on dad's lap!
My Dad gave my brother & I baths together when he had to look after us while mom was working at the coffee shop!there sas never anything thought as weird or immoral of that!
in-so-far-as the Menses "Wives' Tales" I rember it was Late Spring/Early Summer 1977 Renoldsburg,Ohio My then husband & I had relocated to Ohio after he got out of the Service out here in CA. I was about 4 or 5 noths pregnant.We went to go visit his Grandfather who was living with his daughter & son-in-law. it was a "family day" (sunday afternoon with everyone over) the 3 daughters & myself were "out at the garden" so they were barefooted bent over pulling up seedling weeds so I started to take off my shoes when the one daughter touched my arm & said "not us;your prgenant & I'm on my period.We can't go into the garden" I looked at her like she had 3 heads!"WHAT?why?" having grown up with a "farmer" father I'd never heard of such a "crazy thing" as soon as I got home I called dad up out here in CA I asked him if he'd ever heard of such a thing he said he had "years ago" people thought that if a menestrating woman was in the gardent it would "taint" the crops because of the "iron & acid" imbalance in their system during that time As for the pregnant woman the earth would be too much on the child & cause her to miscarry!.....Now, the miscarry thing 1/2 right! the bending and pulling on a 2 term woman COULD cause premature contractions however........the other one?not so much! pffeff! lol :p :p Craziness!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner