Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Re-Blocking a Panama

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Okay, I'm sure there are other threads about this, but I can't find them, so feel free to merge.

I need to re-block this Panama, to get rid of the crease about 1.5" up from the base of the crown. From reading other posts, I "think" I can use a regular hat-block - I have one that I've been using for felts that is my size, and this hat fits it, maybe even a touch too big.

Do I use the same method I would use for felts? Thanks!

PanamaUnblocked.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
You might try looking at PanamaBob.com 's website. If I were to try this, I'd maybe use a steam iron on it. That might get rid of that strange crease. But since that is obviously a very nice hat, I wouldn't take the advice of somebody like me, who doesn't really know what he's talking about.
I hope this helps. lol

Feraud

Bartender
ScottF said:
I "think" I can use a regular hat-block - I have one that I've been using for felts that is my size, and this hat fits it, maybe even a touch too big.
It seems that blocking this panama on a regular hat block would remove the distintive ridge on your hat. Wouldn't you need a panama shaped block for this?

I am curious to hear what our resident hat blockers think..

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
It seems that blocking this panama on a regular hat block would remove the distintive ridge on your hat. Wouldn't you need a panama shaped block for this?

I am curious to hear what our resident hat blockers think..

Thanks guys. I'm guessing I would need an Optimo block, but maybe my 'normal' block could get most of the side crease out so that I could then work on shaping the brim. I just don't know if I need to soak it, how to tie off the crown at the brim, etc - is it the same process as for felts?

Given how cheap you can get Panama hats on ebay, I'm thinking it would be cost-prohibitive to send this one in for professional work - might as well buy a new one.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Hmmmmmm....

Will your choice of ribbon cover this area eventually? If so, then you don't need to worry about getting it perfect.

I'm an amateur at this but I have an idea what I'd do if it were my score. It's hard to write how I'd handle it. I do have the benefit of an optimo block in my size and I'd use that. I'd forego any real 'soaking' (and I don't have the ability to do a real cleaning) but I'd dampen it inside and out with a water spritzer and would wipe away any mud that develops and see how pliable the straw is after that. I would also try to push out that line from the inside with my fingers and then put it on the block and try to smooth it by hand. If all I had was a regular block in my size, I'd probably try it on that. You can always attach a chord to the block in the center area where the optimo crease is to simulate an optimo shaped block. I tie mine at the brim break with a piece of rawhide but any small chord/rope would probably be OK.

If any ironing became necessary, I'd be very careful to use a wet hanky between the iron and the straw. It's the pressing part, either with irons or the sand bag apparatus used by real hatters, which is very hard to simulate in the home-spun attempt at shaping these hats.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
HarpPlayerGene said:
Hmmmmmm....

Will your choice of ribbon cover this area eventually? If so, then you don't need to worry about getting it perfect.

I'm an amateur at this but I have an idea what I'd do if it were my score. It's hard to write how I'd handle it. I do have the benefit of an optimo block in my size and I'd use that. I'd forego any real 'soaking' (and I don't have the ability to do a real cleaning) but I'd dampen it inside and out with a water spritzer and would wipe away any mud that develops and see how pliable the straw is after that. I would also try to push out that line from the inside with my fingers and then put it on the block and try to smooth it by hand. If all I had was a regular block in my size, I'd probably try it on that. You can always attach a chord to the block in the center area where the optimo crease is to simulate an optimo shaped block. I tie mine at the brim break with a piece of rawhide but any small chord/rope would probably be OK.

If any ironing became necessary, I'd be very careful to use a wet hanky between the iron and the straw. It's the pressing part, either with irons or the sand bag apparatus used by real hatters, which is very hard to simulate in the home-spun attempt at shaping these hats.

Thanks, Gene - much appreciated. Re-looking at the hat, I like it well enough that I think it's worth a rebuild - no problem getting my size out of it. I was on the phone with Optimo this morning and will be sending another hat in, so after discussing this one with them, I'll probably send in both hats at the same time.

I'm all in favor of letting a pro handle most jobs, but I also get more enjoyment out of a hobby if I get more hands-on every now and then.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
kabuto said:
Putting in the Optimo ridge is easy. Getting rid of it is hard. When my fedora-blocked PanamaBob Montecristi got rain soaked (and I mean soaked), I reshaped it and pinched the ridge in. This season I wanted to get rid of it, but any sharp folding of the hat is really hard to 100 percent get rid of.

One think I successfully did was cure the "Panama flop," the tendency of the brim to pop up an not hold a "snap." I soaked the front of the brim and put a towel on the edge of a cabinet and put the front of the brim on top of the cabinet, put a towel and some books on that, and let the rest of the hat hang down. I tried to sculpt the towel a bit in the snap shape I wanted.

It worked! The brim snaps down, the rear edge is still rolled up, and it shows no signs of reverting.

Thanks for the tips. I think if I did it myself, at best I would end up with something like the following. It does look good on Duvall.

robert_duvall.jpg

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Seeing the floppy brim on Duvall's hat prompts me to ask a question.

Once you have a good Panama blocked and flanged, when you get rained on, will the brim hold its shape? Seems to me that every time I get a brim close to where I want it, a little rain and it's back to bumpy status.

Could the solution be to use hat stiffener on it to protect it from getting floppy too quickly? [huh]

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Pilgrim said:
Seeing the floppy brim on Duvall's hat prompts me to ask a question.

Once you have a good Panama blocked and flanged, when you get rained on, will the brim hold its shape? Seems to me that every time I get a brim close to where I want it, a little rain and it's back to bumpy status.

Could the solution be to use hat stiffener on it to protect it from getting floppy too quickly? [huh]

Nope. The solution is to keep it out of the rain.

Feraud

Bartender
Is anything used on panamas to help them keep their shape?

I ask becuase I just received a vintage panama and it is stiff. I am not sure if this is because it has been stored for years but I assumed it was treated with something to retain it's shape..[huh]

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
Is anything used on panamas to help them keep their shape?

I ask becuase I just received a vintage panama and it is stiff.

Good question. I bet some of them are/were but I am only basing that on the same experience you're describing. Some of the old Panamas I've acquired (usually the Brisa weave) are really stiff. Some aren't. Also, when I dampen some in order to manipulate the shape, there is an obvious sticky feeling to them until they dry again.

The better/best Panamas, blocked by real artisans, have no stiffener to my knowledge. This squares with the way some of those feel in my hands.

Whether they may have stiffener or not, though, it's no good to use these hats as rain protection. Darnit; I wish this was not the case since it's summer here but the daily rains have been keeping me in felt when I'd like to be sportin' my straws more often.

Feraud

Bartender
Thanks for the reply HPG.
In thinking about this I will guess my panama is stiff due to having sat around for many years. My rejuvenation process is putting the hat in the bathroom when I take a hot shower. My hope is the gradual steam will bring flexibility back to the hat and allow me to work the brim and clean off some accumulated dust. So far so good.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
Thanks for the reply HPG.
In thinking about this I will guess my panama is stiff due to having sat around for many years. My rejuvenation process is putting the hat in the bathroom when I take a hot shower. My hope is the gradual steam will bring flexibility back to the hat and allow me to work the brim and clean off some accumulated dust. So far so good.

Hey Feraud - your Panama looks almost exactly like mine except yours doesn't have the womanization crease.

Because mine's old as heck and also very soft, I don't think yours is stiff from sitting around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn