Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent US Flying Jacket Advice Needed

Otter

One Too Many
I am looking for some help from the more knowledgeable on here re recent US flying kit. A couple of years ago I got my hands on a Jacket, Flyer's : Lightweight (Stock no 8415-00-217-7729). Looks very similar to a CWU 45 in style but is made in a flat O/D oxford nylon (fire resistant) rather than Nomex.

A quick search on the US stock system indicates it was issued to helicopter crew, has anyone run across one of these?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I am looking for some help from the more knowledgeable on here re recent US flying kit. A couple of years ago I got my hands on a Jacket, Flyer's : Lightweight (Stock no 8415-00-217-7729). Looks very similar to a CWU 45 in style but is made in a flat O/D oxford nylon (fire resistant) rather than Nomex.

A quick search on the US stock system indicates it was issued to helicopter crew, has anyone run across one of these?

Yes. They came in two versions...a cold weather, insulated one and a light-weight windbreaker. They are both very comfortable but I have found them to be a tad short. I normally wear size 48R, but I look for size 48L in these jackets. Here's one of mine. It was issued to an Army helicopter pilot and came to me with original patches and patch receivers.

BpgQ9Cg2kKGrHqQH-CgEuW0gCbCBLrr8-7y.jpg

AF

Otter

One Too Many
Thanks for the repy AF!

Hacker, I did a wee search on the stock number via a US Government site with stock number codes, and it came up with that result, I had just never noticed any major changes between it and a CWU series jacket and assumed I was always seeing one of those in photos of helicopter crews. Seems like re-inventing the wheel coming up with a new jacket but there you go!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24